• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Map KF-Netherhold (Coming VERY soon)

Seanchaoz

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 29, 2016
Denmarkia
www.synchaoz.com
Enter the...
Cover.jpg

... where sanity wanes and despair takes hold.

- NETHERHOLD-
A dark and gloomy Killing Floor 2 custom map inspired by the atmosphere and artstyle of the original Doom games.

Downloads:​

You find yourself lost in an otherwordly bastion of torture and depravity deep underground in a cavernous expanse.

A surreal and organic pandemonium of tight corridors, twisting stairways and multitudes of hidden passages and secret rooms
20161215075606_1.jpg

20161215081908_1.jpg

The Netherhold is a nightmarish torture instrument and focal point for dark studies into the occult.

Built upon the misery of suffering humans and dismembered bodies, its very design instills despair and misery.
20161219002543_1.jpg

20161215075151_1.jpg

Don't be mistaken; you are not in Hell.

At least not yet, for the Netherhold might well be only a stone's-throw away from the fiery gates of purgatory itself.
20161215074137_1.jpg

20161215081544_1.jpg

- Artstyle and atmosphere drawing inspiration from the original Doom games
20161215080431_1.jpg

20161215074222_1.jpg

- Highly detailed environment with extreme attention to detail
20161219002812_1.jpg

20161219002519_1.jpg

- Many hidden areas and secret rooms (8 in total!)
Highlight_secret.jpg

20161215081251_1.jpg

- Fast-paced hectic gameplay and considerable difficulty due to the close-quartered nature of the map
20161215080855_1.jpg

20161215081820_1.jpg

- Optimized for high performance while maintaining spectacular visuals
20161215082244_1.jpg

20161215075453_1.jpg

- Many new custom meshes and destructibles based on original KF2 map resources (no third pary imports)

- Collectible Dosh Bling Necklaces to find and shoot (they don't actually do anything, sadly)

More screens here: https://postimg.org/gallery/2vomal0dy/

KNOWN ISSUES (that I am trying to fix, just not sure how yet)

* Kismet is acting a bit weird with certain events. Nothing game breaking though, but you might see odd system messages or flavor text that isn't supposed to be there. I'm working on it.

* Some of the hidden areas are behind fracture mesh walls, which break apart gradually. Certain weapons, like the HX25 grenade pistol can cause them to appear to be broken while in fact they are not, causing you to be blocked by a seemingly invisible wall. Just pull out your knife and swing at the air a bit and it should break. Other weapons, like many explosives, will only damage the walls if hit from very specific angles (I have no idea why), so your best option when breaking down these particular walls is to use regular projectile guns or melee weapons.

* Due to kismet events (probably) and moving elements in the map, zeds can very rarely lose track of the player and start to idle. I have only seen it happen once out of many hours play testing, so it is a rare occurrence.

(Sorry for having no active downloads, I found some issues that need fixing, but had already created this post and realized I could not save it without having to redo all the screenshot setup, which was like 30 minutes of work and got messed up anyway, I don't fancy doing over again so I will just post this without download links for now and add them ASAP. Expected delay no more than a day or two.)

Last edited:
Thanks guys, many hours went into just adding details. The map is now live and download links are added to the original post.

The kismet is still acting up and I cannot figure out why. The Draw Text nodes aren't displaying properly, only staying on screen for a split second, forcing you to walk out and back into the volume several times for it to stay on screen. Might be a temporary issue due to the beta patch or whatever, will have to see when it goes live what happens.

Upvote 0
Thanks Scarbs, sorry to see you didn't find all the secrets but was fun seeing you try, and you seemed to have fun doing it as well so it's all good :D

I can give you a lil' hint though; if you see faint purple pulsating light, you should investigate.

As always great feedback! The overall brightness of the map actually comes from the fog volume, which lights things up when a certain distance away. It's been tweaked around quite a bit during development and I agree it wouldn't hurt to get turned down a bit further to darken things some more.

Also having more interesting secret areas would be nice, but with limited kismet knowledge and gameplay possbilities it's hard to put something out of the ordinary together (but not impossible). I can't wait to play around with stuff like that when we get Objective mode, which is gonna open up a lot more options for creative map making I believe.

Upvote 0
I'm so glad you're still making maps for KF2, man.

No disrespect to the TWI staff but adding more talent never hurts a company - you NEED to be added to their team ASAP. :D

The last map of yours that I played before taking a break was balcony defense, so I need to get caught up on the couple others!

This new one looks amazing. Hopefully I'll see it start popping up on servers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I played this on a random French server and was blown away. Excellent map- I tried to find it on the Workshop but couldn't seem to find it. I really wanted to give it a few more tries (as my PuG wasn't any good; one fell in the lava pits unintentionally as the wave started). The lighting & detail were very catching & the labyrinthine layout made me anxious to play again.

Glad I found it here & thanks for creating it!

Upvote 0