• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-MountainPass Revamp Beta

EndlessNights

Nov 9, 2015
Credit to the maker of the original author Kevin 'DrGuppy' Butt.
I also borrowed a few assets from Tripwires other game Killing Floor and Rising Storm.

Current Map Release: KF-MountainPassR_Beta_v08
Last update: 2016-04-23

>> Download Here <<

Download Archive:

Update Chang Log:
Spoiler!

So I'm just leaning how to use the UDK, so I figured I'd build up some experience by revamping a map from the original game with some features from the new game. Also I changed the time of day from noon to midnight, so I hope your flash lights are charged!

If you notice anything is amiss, bugs of the sorts, have any critiques, or have any suggestions that will improve the 'fun'.

Some images of the map:
Spoiler!

Enjoy, and Kill some Zeds, add me on steam & what not if you so desire.

Last edited:
Maybe once Sharpshooter comes back I can really enjoy this map :D

Everything but crawlers, husks and sirens can't hit you if you hide in the small tent here http://i.imgur.com/iOv23yl.jpg

The bigger tents look like they can be easily zerkwalled too, maybe that could be changed?

I haven't had a chance to play it yet but first two solution that came to mind about the tents were:
A: Blocking Volume - easy fix that keeps everyone out.
B: Destructible actor- lil' complicated but worthwhile; not to mention fitting for the totally instable nature of a tent.

It looks really well made; I look forward to playing it even though I always dreaded when teammates picked Mountain Pass (it took forever & always got picked!).

Upvote 0
Maybe once Sharpshooter comes back I can really enjoy this map :D

Everything but crawlers, husks and sirens can't hit you if you hide in the small tent here http://i.imgur.com/iOv23yl.jpg

The bigger tents look like they can be easily zerkwalled too, maybe that could be changed?

Yah I don't know what I was thinking when I added the small tent, I think I'll edit it so that only crawlers can spawn inside of it, and players can't walk through it.

I should also replace the tents with the small flaps with the supply tents which have much larger entrances. as seen here
Spoiler!

Little busy at the moment should have these updates done latter this evening.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the map is fun and looks great however there are some issues:

-all around the map players can get out-of-bounds by simply jumping over the guardrail. it's also easy to jump onto the bridge and off of the mountain. not sure if this was intentional because the zeds can still get to you sometimes, but it is very awkward.

-the file size is big (~130mb). too big to realistically host on average community servers. this is due to a couple of things:

1. the nav mesh is overly complex, and there are way too many path nodes. there are over 1400 KFPathNodes alone.
  2. there are many shadowmap textures, and they are huge (some average close to 1mb each).
to reduce the file size you could cull the pathnodes way down in the open areas, and force them together if you end up with paths too far apart. the zeds are going to gain sight of players quickly anyways, so you don't need such complex pathing.

furthermore, you could severely lower the lightmap resolution in the outside areas, and disable shadow-casting on selected meshes and ground meshes. or if you're feeling bold, you could try disabling static shadow casting on your dominant directional light, so that it doesn't create any static shadows at all from the moonlight. normally this looks really bad on daytime maps because everything beyond the dynamic shadow radius will be 'shadowed', but for a dark map like this it could work, maybe if you bring the brightness levels of your skylight and directionallight closer together, and bring the fog in while pushing the dynamic shadow radius out.

i don't know of anything else to help optimize the file size, but those things might help get it under 100mb.

these are just my suggestions. i am making them because i'd like to have this map on my server, but right now it is too large and players don't like to download stuff this big.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
-the file size is big (~130mb). too big to realistically host on average community servers. this is due to a couple of things:

1. the nav mesh is overly complex, and there are way too many path nodes. there are over 1400 KFPathNodes alone.
  2. there are many shadowmap textures, and they are huge (some average close to 1mb each).

I agree with the shadowmap suggestion on reducing the file size. As far as the pathnodes go I did a little experiment because it's something I looked into for my projects. The filesize with pathing is 131mb and with all of the removed 124mb. That means there are 7mb reserved for pathing in the map. So if we estimate that he could remove roughly 10% of pathing it would reduce filesize by under 1 mb. 20% maybe 2mb. I'm not saying it's without merit, but looking at the total filesize it's kind of a small drop in the bucket. Your lighting suggestions will probably hit those bigger mb reductions you guys are looking for.

Nice suggestions sxmn!
Ideally I think maps should be under 50mb if possible.

The official map sizes are 127, 73, 147, 47, 23 and 186mb. I'm not even sure those numbers reflect all the custom assets or not. I don't see any problem with mappers creating maps that fall within TWI's margins, provided they take some reasonable steps to make it as small as they can.

Upvote 0
the map is fun and looks great however there are some issues:

-all around the map players can get out-of-bounds by simply jumping over the guardrail. it's also easy to jump onto the bridge and off of the mountain. not sure if this was intentional because the zeds can still get to you sometimes, but it is very awkward.

to reduce the file size you could cull the pathnodes way down in the open areas, and force them together if you end up with paths too far apart. the zeds are going to gain sight of players quickly anyways, so you don't need such complex pathing.

furthermore, you could severely lower the lightmap resolution in the outside areas, and disable shadow-casting on selected meshes and ground meshes. or if you're feeling bold, you could try disabling static shadow casting on your dominant directional light, so that it doesn't create any static shadows at all from the moonlight. normally this looks really bad on daytime maps because everything beyond the dynamic shadow radius will be 'shadowed', but for a dark map like this it could work, maybe if you bring the brightness levels of your skylight and directionallight closer together, and bring the fog in while pushing the dynamic shadow radius out.

i don't know of anything else to help optimize the file size, but those things might help get it under 100mb.

these are just my suggestions. i am making them because i'd like to have this map on my server, but right now it is too large and players don't like to download stuff this big.

Thanks for the feedback, I've currently culled over half of the KFPathNodes and it's working just fine.

I've also removed some of the background meshes that weren't really visible due to the thick fog levels.

I've also been playing around with some of the lighting options, the current build stands at about 108 mb, I'll should be able get it down under 100 mb, though I don't think I'll get it under 50 any time soon.

I'll post another update on progress later this afternoon.

Upvote 0
How did you do the terrain?

Exported the height map from the original map in KF, used a sculpting program (mudbox) to turn it into a static mesh and then cut it up into sub divisions along with removing any geometry that would be hidden behind other actors in Maya.

I had also tried doing all of this before using a height map plugin with Google Sketchup, and the only thing I can say about that is don't..

Anyway, to everyone else version 02. Fixed some bugs with the barriers, redid a large portion of the pathing to reduce the number of unnecessary nodes, as well as reduced the file size down to 101mb by removing unneeded meshes and modifying the shadows/lighting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did play it several times now. The responses from others on my server are always positive. In other words "great job".

Yesterday one of the players got stuck on the map. Only solution was to leave the server and rejoin. Here is a screen shot of the location.

attachment.php

Edit:
That ^^^ was with version v01.

Attachments

• Stuck.jpg
    Stuck.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Nice! Also, for those wondering why the latest version isn't working, you need to add the .kfm extension to the filename. At the moment it's MountainPassR_Beta_v02 - it needs to be MountainPassR_Beta_v02.kfm otherwise the map won't work.

Again, good job. ;)

Did play it several times now. The responses from others on my server are always positive. In other words "great job".

Yesterday one of the players got stuck on the map. Only solution was to leave the server and rejoin. Here is a screen shot of the location.

attachment.php

Edit:
That ^^^ was with version v01.

Wooops, I'll fix these ASAP!

EDIT: This hole has been fixed for version 03

Last edited:
Upvote 0