• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Map KF-Midgard

Techuser

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2015
This is the first map I publish, it's small but must have taken me around 500 hours having to learn modeling/texturing/uving/everything and udk, it's made over a real location and I also created some photoscanned assets for it.
Initially it was just to play with friends that also know the place, but since I saw the grindhouse contest I decided to make it public and made some modifications to be more playable for everyone (like adding a backdoor to the house and more area to explore), still didn't have time to finish everything on time and by the deadline the file I had on dropbox wasn't loading the textures for others :p

VrEEeD9.jpg

6rW0vde.jpg

From the development
Spoiler!

Album from the real place: http://imgur.com/a/QkeIU

Workshop link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...84&searchtext=

Thanks everyone who helped answering problems and newbie questions I had to post here lately :)

Last edited:
This is honestly one of my favourite maps, as Pwn can attest. There are some outstanding glitches, particularly with the house - players and Zeds can get stuck on the table. Large zeds sometimes have pathing issues, which can lead to a collection on the back end of the map.

It is so open, but a good amount of space isn't used because of spatial and pathing convenience. I would love to see more maps like this, this is a great start.

Upvote 0
I had the file hidden on workshop til I fixed the textures that were broken in the game update, it's back again now with more fixes including most of the issues in Scarbeus video (thanks for that :D ), pathing and things to get stuck, I just didn't make the ponds walkable, didn't feel right.

Changelog since the last post:
- Fixed textures broken on the content update
- Fixed broken blocking volumes I could find, now flex doesn't crash it
- Added a volume to help zeds not get stuck on the barrels of the pickup truck
- Increased visual cues of the forest boundaries
- Optimized draw distance of smaller foliage
- Plank and small table inside the house now have auto step-on deactivated
- White table outside is now dynamic
- Reduced size and collision of some logs on the ground
- Reduced fog saturation by half and increased the brightness a bit
- Doors now starts closed
- Removed auto step on from chairs and two roof parts behind the house
- Remade the collision of many logs with blocking volumes
- Zeds won't jump on the table inside anymore
- Increased dominant light brightness and dynamic shadows distance
- Reduced blue tint, increased yellows, tweaked fog
- Changed main terrain and rocks textures
- Rocky corridor overhaul and two new flares in the area
- Switched some of the surrounding fences for thicker vegetation and moved spawn volumes closer to playable area
- Added one more spawn outside the fence on the cliff side of the map
- Added trims to the house walls and other small details

Going to update the main post with new screenshots, also have been playing with an alternate daytime version, will decide later if I keep it as a separate map or try to make a random time of day in this same one :)
MoRrv94.jpg

Upvote 0
Another update
- Removed the collision from the small step outside the kitchen and remade it smaller with blocking volumes so there's no more stucking there
- Removed the cilindrical collision for players from the bamboo spiral and made it more accurate (zeds still are blocked by a basic shape)
- Every pond is now enterable (and you might have to jump out in some parts instead of auto-walk)
- Adjusted spawn volumes for versus mode
- Added a couple of new textures, added decals back to some house walls, fixed decals that weren't getting splatter, and depth bias
- Lighting tweaks
- There were tree trios that were easy to get trapped in by zeds when walking backwards, I spaced out the third tree and moved the other two closer to each other

Upvote 0