• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Map KF-MawOfMadness

Vampcinda

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2015
Maw of Madness​
Version 2 (December 29, 2015)

You and your team find yourselves stuck on a series of floating, escher-like platforms suspended high above ground.

In the distance, a misty forest stretches vulnerably along the base of a sputtering volcano, spewing forth fire and molten lava, bathing the battleground in cinders and ash.

Not only are you at the mercy of the horrifying zeds hunting for prey, for below this maze of strange and bizarre architecture lurks the god-like creature known only as the Maw of Madness - a many-eyed, god-like being with a voracious appetite and a tooth-filled mouth that could swallow an entire house.

He is eternal. His patience is ever-lasting. And all he waits for, is for you to take a wrong step.

Maw of Madness is a super hectic and fast-paced KF2 map that has you constantly on the move across an intricate and varied layout that offers multiple paths and escape routes, while always the danger of falling over the edge looms above you like a Damocles sword.

The map is set across the backdrop of a beautiful mountain range with a misty forest stretching beneath the feet of a sputtering volcano, while a colossal golden-winged angel statue watches from atop a distant windswept mountain peak.

• Latest version: 2 (December 29, 2015)
  • Map size: Small, but highly mobile
  • Difficulty: Pretty darn high :eek: (in solo mode at least)
  • Destructibles: A handful of fun interactive elements scattered around the map
  • Lighting: Overall pleasantly bright light (purely static, no destructibles)
  • Pickups: Many ammo and weapon spawns in easy to see places (you'll need them...)
  • That's odd... there also seems to be some cryptic messages hinting at something? Hmmm . . .

Version 2 history (December 29, 2015)

- Optimized blocking volumes for zeds a bit (to prevent them from falling out of map as much)
- Added environment dialogue volumes
- Made the secret area a little less secret and easier to find
- Minor geometry tweaks
- Blood splatter on the ground below should be somewhat less enormous in size

As for personal notes on development I want to say that this has been the most fun mapping project I've had so far! Okay granted this is only my third map, but it was SUPER fun to do and sort of makes me realize that taking the more surreal route in map design really appeals to me. I think you can expect to see more of this style from me in the future :eek:

Also due to the nature of the map, zeds may fall down on their own without player interaction. I've added a truckload of blocking volumes to limit this as much as possible while still maintaining a somewhat logical pathing that allows them to move effectively while still being vulnerable to getting knocked off the platform by melee attacks, explosives etc. But sometimes they fall through spots they probably shouldn't. If you find any areas with overly exploitable drops that you can just funnel zeds into, let me know please as I'd like to fix those :p

Enjoy!​

Last edited:
Really fun map. Had no fps issues at all. Lots of stuff to do and secrets to find.

We found a spot here:View attachment 16748

where if you stand the zeds will just keep walking off the edge instead of coming around to you. No other real problem spots yet.

Great work, Love it

That's an easy fix, I will have it done for v2. Thank you very much! :D

love this map, The fun you have watching teammates fall off the edge haha. added it to my server rotation =] + how many gift boxes are there on the map?

That's wonderful to hear, thank you!

Now as for the little secret I don't want to give too many spoilers, but I can hint that each of the 4 stone plaques on the curved platform (the angled one with a trader pod) holds a cryptic clue as to how many presents there are, and what to look for besides them ;)

Although I may add a few more pointers in version 2. I tried adding a counter to the presents like on the dosh bling, displaying something like "X presents left" every time one is shot, but I'm still very newbie at doing kismet stuff and couldn't figure it out. If someone knows how to do that I could add it for v2 also

Upvote 0
Soo curious...

Soo curious...

Am I the only one that's curious about the secret? :confused: Spent quite some time trying to figure out using the clues but I am too stupid :(

Found only a total of 4 gift boxes (assuming there are 6 because of 6 uninjured eyes), noticed a tiny candle lit on a statue, noticed a black sphere in the sky (when you shoot it, multiple billiard balls spawn out of the sky, and after finding everything you need to take a leap of faith to get to secret area im assuming?

Upvote 0
Am I the only one that's curious about the secret? :confused: Spent quite some time trying to figure out using the clues but I am too stupid :(

Found only a total of 4 gift boxes (assuming there are 6 because of 6 uninjured eyes), noticed a tiny candle lit on a statue, noticed a black sphere in the sky (when you shoot it, multiple billiard balls spawn out of the sky, and after finding everything you need to take a leap of faith to get to secret area im assuming?

How funny you post this now, I just updated the map to v2 last night in which the secret area is a little easier to find :D

You are indeed correct about the eyes and gifts, well done!

Also the candle was well spotted and a good deduction, but it is a distraction. It is not the "smallest flame" on the map :p In v2 it should be somewhat easier to find, and the leap of faith makes more sense once you notice this :)

Upvote 0
How funny you post this now, I just updated the map to v2 last night in which the secret area is a little easier to find :D

You are indeed correct about the eyes and gifts, well done!

Also the candle was well spotted and a good deduction, but it is a distraction. It is not the "smallest flame" on the map :p In v2 it should be somewhat easier to find, and the leap of faith makes more sense once you notice this :)

Managed to find all six gift boxes, but the only other small flames that I see are the two candles lit around the stone tablet left of the spawn area. Can't figure out what the "blind spot" clues mean either :confused:

Upvote 0
Managed to find all six gift boxes, but the only other small flames that I see are the two candles lit around the stone tablet left of the spawn area. Can't figure out what the "blind spot" clues mean either :confused:

You are on version 2, yes? Then I suggest looking for "small flames" somewhere around the traderpod on the lower platform close to the middle, the one close to the stairs leading up to the chessboard and stream of blood :eek: Keep leap of faith in mind!

I will make a video of it tomorrow in any case, since I'm guessing nobody has even seen the secret yet :p

Upvote 0
You are on version 2, yes? Then I suggest looking for "small flames" somewhere around the traderpod on the lower platform close to the middle, the one close to the stairs leading up to the chessboard and stream of blood :eek: Keep leap of faith in mind!

I will make a video of it tomorrow in any case, since I'm guessing nobody has even seen the secret yet :p

Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0