• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Map KF-L4D2-Plantation

RockMax

Grizzled Veteran
  • Sep 15, 2015
    Czech Republic
    www.youtube.com
    Port and a remake of a Plantation map from Left 4 Dead 2

Map has 18 collectibles to find.
    Updated textures, some are resized, new normal maps.
    New meshes, LODs.
    Recreated the Plantation building and it´s UVs to get the best out of the UV maps and shadows.
    Precomputed visibility.

Screenshots:

CB5B3E2D3DFB0C94D21177F31F753E6D2E545061

F10A0FDA3BE431D0E88AC72F8DFCF5CE1B288CF6

B9AA7B73A84F7CB4536B303EA32CFB8EB9A66DA0

0C8FD07C02D2F172412826CFA47AA1D78401801A

C415D288FAF9E2DC3BCF672EF89D5E68C59A83A5

FDDF68B3B917C251BEC25AE8E3A8402E003C4CCC

38BE77139D00763D8202DD1438227DF02AA18CB4

Download map

Thanks! Putting on my servers. Pros: a lot of ammo, very easy on FPS (I get 240 Hz most of the time). Cons: monsters spawn on one's head everywhere along the border and in the central mansion area. You may want to consider increasing the default MinDistanceToPlayer from the default 1200 to something more reasonable, say, 2400 or more. A lot of dead ends suck, but it's just how the map was designed in the first place.

Upvote 0
    Ooooh that map... Loved to hate it back in the day, mostly because the machinegun is placed in the worst possible spot :LOL:

I remember playing a map set in the stables of Dark Carnival, also from L4D2... Where you the guy who did both?

I might try that one. I also really like the atmosphere and the lightning from the screenshots you posted ! I believe KF2 is lacking a few "simpler" maps, with just a simple place to hold. Farmhouse is the only one that comes to mind. Black Forest also maybe? Although you rarely stay in the brewpub and usually slice your way through the forest...

Upvote 0
    Thanks! Putting on my servers. Pros: a lot of ammo, very easy on FPS (I get 240 Hz most of the time). Cons: monsters spawn on one's head everywhere along the border and in the central mansion area. You may want to consider increasing the default MinDistanceToPlayer from the default 1200 to something more reasonable, say, 2400 or more. A lot of dead ends suck, but it's just how the map was designed in the first place.
    I might edit the minimal distance for zeds but when we played nobody else had a problem with spawns.

Upvote 0
    Close spawns is one of the most notorious issues of this game and since the inception people have been complaining about it. Oftentimes people refer to this as the "teleports issue", however, teleports, if disabled, address only one side of the issue as new zeds, that replace those you just killed to fill up the maxmonsters on the map again, can spawn very close to you, a phenomenon which is commonly referred to on forums as zeds spawning out of one's ass or zeds spawning on one's head.

Playing the multiplayer games partially alleviates this problem as there are less spawnvolumes that are unobserved, this may explain why you didn't notice it.

The solo video some dude recorded and you featured in the steam workshop item for your map demonstrates the issue clearly several times. It's clearly noticeable at 0:52 (he doesn't curse, but gets surprised by the spawn on the left), 3:59 he exclaims "where they are coming from" (they come from the attic because the min spawn distance is too low) and so on.

You can also check my HoE+ run, it's full of it along the borders:

Of course, if you play below HoE+ and/or never have to deal with "last man standing scenarios" and kiting scenarios this issue isn't as annoying and frustrating to deal with, but on HoE and higher it's a plague and I believe #1 reason people eventually get fed up with this game and leave. I believe TWI shot themselves in the foot by doing it this way, but it's something the map makers can address on some maps at least, that's why I'm asking.

Upvote 0