• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-ForgottenSecretsV2

xjames0x

Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2009
Droitwich, England
Ok so hears another beta :\ the first was a complete failure as I accidental put in some ut2k4 textures. Stupid me :p.

Filefront Download: http://www.filefront.com/14662561/KF-ForgottenSecrets.rom

Description in one sentence: Big *** lab/office

The elevator is glitchy I know . :)

Please comment I need to know of any bugs or glitches. Or praise :)

Enjoy some pics xD

killingfloor20091005182.jpg

killingfloor20091005183.jpg

killingfloor20091005183.jpg

I tested your map in solo mode.

First impressions were great with the detailed starting room and brilliantly working elevator. Then things went horribly went wrong when I literally came across a LAW before a single zombie! Don't give players super weapons like that, generally standard KFItemPickups are all is needed to make a map fun. In fact given that I didn't find LAWs scattered everywhere, I'm thinking maybe you only put it there to make testing more fun. Well it doesn't matter, moving on...

I liked the transition from office to labaratory, general detail and lighting is good enough, and I didn't come across any major issues there in the few rounds I played. I did feel like some of the areas were a bit uninspired, I can't describe it well other than to say that it felt like some hallways were really wide and without purpose. You could jazz them up a little with different lighting effects and obstacles if you want, but this isn't your biggest problem.

The main problem with this map is the lack of zombie spawns. There is practically no gameplay to be had, no kidding. Its good you decided to release this as beta because no joke half the maps that go final have serious zombie spawning/gameplay issues. I may just be an action junkie but no kidding my grandma could probably survive a round or two in the forgotten laboratory. You need zombie spawns all over your hallways like the official maps do. That way, the game will automatically spawn zeds relatively close to the players so that you don't have to go looking for the enemies. Ventilation shafts can spawn crawlers and stalkers.

The really large open area with the many many specimen tubes doesn't have the effect I think you wanted. I think you wanted to have so many tubes of quivering zombies for the shock value, but it is hard to take seriously because there are so many of them moving in perfect sync that you get the feeling they are an organised mob of entertainers putting on a show. Other than that, this area is fail because players can stand there in a football field sized room, taking down what few specs happen upon it before they get close enough to tell a clot from a siren. I can suggest two ways to fix this room:

1) Make it way, way smaller. Or put several walls dividers across it to divide it into smaller areas (can still be one big room but with dividers). Put zombie spawns in the newly partioned areas so that they will spawn even when players are in the general vacinity.

2) Kill the lights. Make it so you can't see a damn thing, other than your tubes of twitching specs. The advantage the player gains from having ample space is then sufficiently reduced by the fact they can't see targets from too far off. I quite like this idea because you could let off just enough light from your red tubes to illuminate zombies as they walk close to them. However I would still put more zombie spawns in, maybe an area of metal grating in the middle of the room could be ripped up with zombies jumping out in swarms!

In short, the map has potential but at the moment the gameplay is limited by not enough zombies or zombies spawning too far away, and the large, open, well lit area.

Oh and don't forget to add KfMusicTrigger before you post it as final!

P.S. since you missed the wave2 deadline, might as well take your time now and make it the best it can be. I'm in the same boat with KF-Dreamhouse, which I wanted to enter in the contest but couldn't bear to release it in present state.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First off thanks for writing a nice review, you are a credit to the forums :p

I literally came across a LAW before a single zombie! Don't give players super weapons like that, generally standard KFItemPickups are all is needed to make a map fun. In fact given that I didn't find LAWs scattered everywhere, I'm thinking maybe you only put it there to make testing more fun. Well it doesn't matter, moving on...

This must have been by a random weapon spawn. The probability of a LAW spawning is very rare, you were just lucky :) . Its never happened to me though.

You could jazz them up a little with different lighting effects and obstacles if you want, but this isn't your biggest problem.

I have been meaning to do this its just my skill in lighting is quite bad. xD

The main problem with this map is the lack of zombie spawns. There is practically no gameplay to be had, no kidding. Its good you decided to release this as beta because no joke half the maps that go final have serious zombie spawning/gameplay issues. I may just be an action junkie but no kidding my grandma could probably survive a round or two in the forgotten laboratory. You need zombie spawns all over your hallways like the official maps do. That way, the game will automatically spawn zeds relatively close to the players so that you don't have to go looking for the enemies. Ventilation shafts can spawn crawlers and stalkers.

I will be adding much more Zed spawns. For some reason I just didn't get around to it.

The really large open area with the many many specimen tubes doesn't have the effect I think you wanted.

Hit the nail on the head. :)

2) Kill the lights. Make it so you can't see a damn thing, other than your tubes of twitching specs. The advantage the player gains from having ample space is then sufficiently reduced by the fact they can't see targets from too far off. I quite like this idea because you could let off just enough light from your red tubes to illuminate zombies as they walk close to them. However I would still put more zombie spawns in, maybe an area of metal grating in the middle of the room could be ripped up with zombies jumping out in swarms!

I will do this. The lights kinda ruin it. When I find out how to get the test tube zeds to move out of sync I will fix it.

Sorry for not writing a lengthy reply. (accidental refreshed the page :\ )

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thanks for taking the comments on board, although 2nd opinions will be nice because my word isn't neccessarily the one and final truth (I'm sure others will get around to it but with the contest map releases I don't expect beta to get a lot of love right now).

P.S. That LAW is definately NOT random, it is even in one of the screenshots you posted!

Upvote 0
thanks for taking the comments on board, although 2nd opinions will be nice because my word isn't neccessarily the one and final truth (I'm sure others will get around to it but with the contest map releases I don't expect beta to get a lot of love right now).

P.S. That LAW is definately NOT random, it is even in one of the screenshots you posted!

I think your mistaken mate :p that's a pipe.

Upvote 0
Ok so hears another beta :\ the first was a complete failure as I accidental put in some ut2k4 textures. Stupid me :p.

Filefront Download: [url]http://www.filefront.com/14662561/KF-ForgottenSecrets.rom[/URL]

Description in one sentence: Big *** lab/office

The elevator is glitchy I know . :)

Please comment I need to know of any bugs or glitches. Or praise :)

I love it I can't wait to use the pipe from the mod it brings back old memories. Is it still using the mod model?

Upvote 0
Well I wouldn't know :p..... I'l Get you a pic

killingfloor20091010193.jpg

Thank you sir this is the new model tripwire made before they replaced it with the machete but they never removed the coding just like the mines from 1.0 to 2.5 to retail. The mod model is long lost i guess but it is cool to see what you find within the folders of games and finding non used content is always cool.

Upvote 0
I literally came across a LAW before a single zombie! Don't give players super weapons like that, generally standard KFItemPickups are all is needed to make a map fun. In fact given that I didn't find LAWs scattered everywhere, I'm thinking maybe you only put it there to make testing more fun.

Sorry its impossible to have a law spawn unless the map has a special only law spawn like kf-doom2. "The law is a special weapon and will never be randomly spawned by the game."

Upvote 0
I think they should put the pipe back into the game. It seems to work fine.

yeh, kinda lame how they have a fully functional weapon in the game but we cant buy it at the trader. i could understand if this weapon was something nuts or experimental, but a lead pipe used to hit zombies? sounds like they should just add it to the game for the hell of it, machete or lead pipe, guess ill buy both!

Upvote 0