• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF engine?!

it Is 2009 and no matter how you want things to be, graphics are becoming equally important as gameplay. I used to play NWN 1 because it's a great gamec gameplay wise, but graphicwise technically lacking. Now i can't even get myself to play it anymore just because i'm used to having a better standard graphics.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting good graphics alongside good gameplay. it's called "going along with time". Why do Nvidia and ATI keep releasing newer hardware, so we can remain in the 20 polygons/character age?

I agree. I'm not a massive GFX-**** but they do need to meet a certain standard of not getting annoyed at how terrible it looks.

On my scale, KF and RO are way above that border, though :)

PS. Red Orchestra natively supports widescreen res, so I think it's safe to assume KF will as well.

Upvote 0
The full game looks just absolutely incredible. I'm hoping that My host I've been using for 3 years will pick up the game, and offer rented server for it as they did Red Orchestra..I haven't seen an entry for KF Retail yet at Gameservers.com...but as soon as it's up, again just like with 2.5, I will put up a server asap. this time, it will be stock. as from what I can see...THIS version of the game won't need mods:) and to be fair, the mod version didn't either...

bottom line.. Alex. Marco, Zyn...THANKS for all your hard work to bring this game into our world as admins and gamers...

Tripwire.. Thanks for just taking an exceptional mod, and polishing it up to make it even better. No criticism from this Admin..I'm really excited to see it's success!!!

...Seal...

I thought you liked double-jumping, dodging, unlimited amount of money and camping on top of the buildings in KF.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Seing as your all on the subject of "Graphics are important as the gameplay" i will stop you there and say...

"How many Nintendo Wii's sold worldwide with an Intel graphics card?"

Graphics are'nt everything in a game. I could spend all day playing Tetris... and so would you. Imagine an annoying 3D version of it.

Or ... another example would be Pacman. He had the idea... he was 2D, and in a small amount of colours on screen. No-one can resist a game of Pacman. The gameplay is much fun, and it has no graphics.

And you all know it!

Upvote 0
I have to say the bashing on graphics for KF does irritate me, its being very ungrateful to all the original team who made this happen even when things got tough. Didnt even ask for a penny from us the players.

But what it comes down to it with the UE3 could you obtain that grittyness that KF has? Not bashing L4D at all i love the game personally. But all they did was stick a film grain filter on it and said here you go its gritty (i know its source not ue3 just for the sake of an example). KF has been sculpted to look as scary and gritty as possible and using UT3 as a good example it looks polished and shiney. KF has always been working on the similar graphical level to ut2k4 and god knows how but the TW team and the origonal team have made the game look fantastic and I think should be hailed as heroes for what they have done.

So when you bash the graphics of a game, remember crysis and how that game was about as deep as a puddle but looked brilliant.

Upvote 0
(This is for the Graphics vs Gameplay Discussion)

Personally, I'm hoping KF has the depth that L4D is lacking as far as gameplay.

I played L4D through and through, but it got to the point where I was left standing there saying... "What's the point?" - all the infected shared confused glances as I dropped my gun, turned and walked away.

It didn't feel like I was working towards anything (but nameless achievements).

But sadly I know that that is what L4D is (mindless zombie killing) and not much is gonna change that, and I don't hate it for that...I don't play it much anymore either.

I'm just hoping KF is what I thought L4D was going to be - Killing 'zombies' but with good'ol character progression and maybe more!

And to be fair - I've played CS religiously back in the day - back when killing another man was fun enough.

Upvote 0
(This is for the Graphics vs Gameplay Discussion)

Personally, I'm hoping KF has the depth that L4D is lacking as far as gameplay.

I played L4D through and through, but it got to the point where I was left standing there saying... "What's the point?" - all the infected shared confused glances as I dropped my gun, turned and walked away.

It didn't feel like I was working towards anything (but nameless achievements).

But sadly I know that that is what L4D is (mindless zombie killing) and not much is gonna change that, and I don't hate it for that...I don't play it much anymore either.

I'm just hoping KF is what I thought L4D was going to be - Killing 'zombies' but with good'ol character progression and maybe more!

And to be fair - I've played CS religiously back in the day - back when killing another man was fun enough.

Uh...I think you'll find that lacking. I played the mod for about a month, but that was the 2.1 version...I dunno whats changed much from Retail, but all you do is spawn, run to the gun person, stock up, shoot until wave is over and try to survive. Objective maps will eventually be made, so yeah, then that'll be cool.

If you're looking for character depth...L4D has plenty, so I had no idea what yer talking about. L4D has some of the greatest characters in a Zombie game ever. If you don't like Bill, you can go and die. :p

Just saying, there isn't going to be much more to do than L4D but kill Zombos and run around the map, trying not to stay still too long. Not insulting it or anything, just saying that if it's depth to characters and gameplay, you won't find it here...L4D has some, but not much as you said. Survival horror games can't really have much depth...cause the main objective is to survive. With no Singleplayer in release, no story either.

Upvote 0
You can have plenty of game play depth in a survival horror game. Resident Evil, anyone?

Just because some games *coughL4Dcough* opted to go really, really lite on the mechanics doesn't mean that's true of all survival horror games.

As for story and character depth....they're overrated in shooter games. L4D spent an inordinate amount of time on characters, cut-scenes, mini-movies....and look how lasting any of that has been for fans of the game.

The same single story doesn't sustain people more than once. I'd trade all the fancy cut scenes and unnecessary voice acting in the world for more time thinking about game play and what mechanics will enhance game play and make it more interesting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can't understand how can anyone bi*ch about the graphics in this game and say they're dated.
It's an indie game ffs. They're not supposed to have up-to-date tech. And that's why it's not full price, hell it's not even the price that Red Orchestra was, when it first came out.
I mean how can you bi*ch about a game that it's looking dated compared to other FULLPRICED games, when it's only 15$!!!
For an indie game, however, KF looks absolutely great.

Upvote 0
Well, that's partly directed at L4D and directed at just a lot of other games in general.

L4D, specifically, they went overboard IMO with the 'game-as-a-movie' thing, and overall game play suffered for it. Just seeing how many iterations the opening cut scene went through, when the forums are on fire with questions about promised updates, bug fixes and last minute subtractions from the game, just kinda pissed me off. I appreciated the shine....but 6 months later 'the shine' ain't keeping me playing the game.

Upvote 0