• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map Kf-Defence

Falidell

Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2009
Mesa,Az,USA
UPDATE C1

ok guys this is version C1 i fixed a whole range of bugs and glitchs as well as fixed a number of gameplay issues that made the map....crazy here is the linky link. note: c1 means it's past beta stages and the only updates that will be will be major flaws or exploits fixes.

http://www.filefront.com/16729327/kf_defence_c1.zip

Defend_b3_01.jpg

Defend_b3_02.jpg

Defend_b3_03.jpg

Last edited:
I just tried it and here are my findings.

It's a bit big to my personal taste but could possibly be fun on one of those 20+ player servers.

The shop area is HUGE and I didn't see that one coming. I killed the last clot just when I accidentally faced the shop area and was like "WOW lol" :p
But once again the shop clearly indicates that this is a map for 20+ players or so :)

Lastly I found the doors to be a bit buggy. Mainly in the way the swing open. This actually got me stuck outside at once point until a clot opened the door again for me and I got pushed back into the castle by the door itself.

Still a good start considering you slapped something together so short notice and I'm gonna keep my eye on a couple 20+ player servers and try it out with lots of people when I see it pop up on there :)

Upvote 0
This map looks pretty fun It has a giant trade area to.
i'm Glad to hear that you should try it with poundamonium mutator on lol. and yes i made the trade area that big so people can't block ya lol unless it was some kind of organized hattin' lol.

what can we expect from future updates of the map?(more details...?)
You can expect a lot better doors, they where quickies. def. more detail and i'm thinking about adding halls in the walls and a few floors and maybe access to the roof in the tower. ohh yes and maybe terrain but i think i'll leave that out because i don't really want people roaming outside the castle.

Lastly I found the doors to be a bit buggy. Mainly in the way the swing open. This actually got me stuck outside at once point until a clot opened the door again for me and I got pushed back into the castle by the door itself.
yea sorry bout that. didn't really want people going outside and these quicky doors are buggin' on me. thats why i put them 10% preweld so that way they don't move. but that is something i'm working on.

well thats an update for ya. ohhh almost forgot. you know that corner of the castle where it has shadows where it shouldn't be. i figured that out. on beta 2 that is another thing i'll fix. dang skybox is too close to the main area.

Upvote 0
Good map and not too easy as I first thought. Daytime is good for a change!

Improvement ideas:
- Make some shooting holes in the walls near the doors so players could shoot the bastards behind the doors. Otherwise welding the doors and staying in the ground level is useless.
- Make a couple of rooms inside the tower just to make it look better and add some windows/shooting holes for a decoration, too.
- Replace stone stairs with wooden ones.
- Try to use some less brown texture with the walls (maybe grey?). Ground is brown already.

Upvote 0
you should still do the terrain for effect so the map looks complete. its all about detail.
I agree. it'll be a lot of work thought because the terrain is one of the first thing you do for a map. Sense i'm doing it much later i'll need to be very carefull around the castle.

- Make some shooting holes in the walls near the doors so players could shoot the bastards behind the doors. Otherwise welding the doors and staying in the ground level is useless.
- Make a couple of rooms inside the tower just to make it look better and add some windows/shooting holes for a decoration, too.
- Replace stone stairs with wooden ones.
- Try to use some less brown texture with the walls (maybe grey?). Ground is brown already
Actually i just added some shooting hole in the walls near the doors so the first one it checked off. i'm adding 2 more rooms/floors to the tower with at least 4 shooting holes in each so #2 is checked off. hmmm i like the wooden stairs idea. i'll see what i can do. so #3 is grey checked. The Whole Castle is Grey it just looks brown because of the colour lighting i chose to match the fog and sky but i'll see if i can still get a good look from greying it up a bit.

so thats my update# 2 i'll be releasing beta 2 after i finish up the 2 rooms in the tower and terrain ect. eta about another day

Upvote 0
i came across a glitch playing this map the other day, the trader area sticks out past the actual base of the tower. we would be outside of the tower and would get the "you can't stay in here" message and randomly spawned to a spot outside, which would tell us we couldn't stay inside, and get spawned again, until we finally spawned in a place that was outside of the "trader" area. please take a look into this, since it takes about a minute or two of spawning to get out of the traders area of influence

here's a picture of the rough area that this was happening in (the area circled in red)
kf_defence03.jpg

also, another improvement idea is to raise the levels of the top of the walls a little, so it's less easy to get hung up on it by walking into it...

(for example, currently the tops of the walls are setup like this -_-_-_-_-_- the lower part needs to be raised up, so you'd have to actually jump up to get in there, instead of just walking into it.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok i Have the Beta 2 up i fixed a lot of stuff and what not. i know i said it would be up next day but i got a date with my beautiful manager hehe +) and we've been hangin out for the week in mexico. so anyways.
CHANGES:
- added terrrain
-fixed trader bug
- added 2 rooms(currently empty in tower)
- added windows
- added support frame to tower to make it seem more natural
- changed stairs to wooden
- made custom doors( big a wooden instead of the lame metal stuff)
- made the respawn time for the ammo 15(vs. 30)
- fixed a few ai nodes that caused issues
- other stuff i can't remember lol

Please enjoy here is the link and 2 pics
http://files.filefront.com/KF+defence+b2zip/;13874746;/fileinfo.html
KF_defence_b2_01.jpg

KF_defence_b2_02.jpg

Upvote 0
Falidell, it feels so much better now! After a few test plays I got a few thoughts.

Minor improvement ideas:
1) Why there are windows in a castle? Shouldn't they be narrow shooting holes, too?
castlewindowssample.jpg

2) Would it be too hard to change the doors to look something like this?
castledoors_320x480.jpg

3) Just a small detail thing: Shouldn't there be some support structures to hold the massive stairs?
4) What makes the map easy, is that running on the walls away from mutants is so easy. Maybe there should barrels, planks and some other small obstacles which can be bypassed but requires attention.

Last edited:
Upvote 0