• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design KF-Cockup or KF-Whoopsie?

avp2501

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Lost in the land of Magic
I was going to make this a poll but couldn't get it up and running.

Anyway I've made a small map where the players are escaping and get trapped within an awkward area. The gameplay is very intense and the gameplay area is complete. The run to the gameplay area may get removed later on depending on what people think of it.

So the question is which title do you think best suits it?

1. KF-Cockup
  2. KF-Whoopsie

I'm still not sure on what name to use on the map.

Here's some screenshots of it which might help with a name.

Shot00195.jpg

Shot00193.jpg

Shot00190.jpg

Shot00188.jpg

Shot00187.jpg

Shot00186.jpg

Shot00185.jpg

Upvote 0
Biotics Lab 2? j/k. The grate texture in the middle of the floor looks pretty cool, you make it? Also, not a fan of mixing Advanced Genetics with a more dominant Biotics Lab feel/theme and the pillars look a little wonky to me with the cubes at the top, maybe try giving them a bevel or some sort of angle in the geo to help them blend in. Just personal preference I guess, other than that looks good.

Upvote 0
The grate texture in the middle of the floor looks pretty cool, you make it?

Thats in the textures....umm.....IceBreaker?

Ok, imma start naming random names for maps

KF-UnderSiege

KF-BioTech

KF-Kraken

KF-BreakDown

KF-Septicy

KF-DireStride

Is this a small map? seems like your taking pics of the sames areas, diff angles

KF-YouDieNow

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it's called fast-mapping it's generally only for competitions(there aren't that many these days) but it's also fun to do when your bored, IMHO. what you do is set a certain time limit usually 1-2 hours but can go all day long 24hrs. and by the time you reach the time-limit you have to have a fully functional level that looks pretty good. you'd be surprised how much you can actually get done in an hour if you sit there and focus on it :p

Upvote 0
thats for standard levels. but the levels i was referring too is fast mapping levels. they tend to be a few small rooms but sometimes you'll run into a competition where these levels are surprisingly large and very nice and they did it all in a matter of hours. in the professional world the main reason it takes so long to make a level is because they need everything to be made. textures, models, etc, and most of the time they'll remake everything because they scrapped the look. in fast mapping everything is made already you just need to put it together. tho if you want to add custom stuff it's optional and i think one tournament actually gives you bonus points for it.

for example i have actually 2 fast mapping levels on these forums. one of em is kf-juggernaut the other is kf-bd-Rats(tho this one i've decided after everything was done to go over it again but this time take my time)

kf-juggarnaut only took me about 1-3 hours i don't quite remember and i was trying to make it look runescape-like

kf-bd-rats originally only took 2 hours of work at b2. beta 3 on ward i'm taking my time on it because i'm finishing it for someone.

Upvote 0
in the professional world the main reason it takes so long to make a level is because they need everything to be made. textures, models, etc, and most of the time they'll remake everything because they scrapped the look.

in the professional world, they have people who make the models, sounds, textures, then give them to the mappers, this is all done at the same time. This is not why it takes awhile to map. it takes awhile to make a good map cause of detail.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
dont know.....

Time frames are giving with working 6-8 hours a day for 2/3 of the map

AspenManor- 4 months

CandleSmoke- 2 months

Damnation - 5 months

DeathPit Revamp- 3 days

AquaStudy - 1 month

Hostile- 2 months

Adversary- 1 month

Defence Lights Out- 1 min

Guess you can say myfast map would be DeathPit-Revamp

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Spawning a bunch of zombies that pop out of the hills for no reason for a mission map isn't much different from normal gameplay. Do not want.

Mission maps are not just spawning zombies over mountains :mad:

Its about being able to control the players to provide the best type of gameplay possible. On top of that, you are not holding the same areas (like in normal game play) You are constantly moving, thinking of the NEXT possible spot to hold.

Another point, mission maps provide objectives for the players to figure out. These objective types could be from simple turning on power, to little minigames like finding the explosive charges and setting them.

Advantages to mission maps come as the following;

• You are able to control the players movement.
  • You can spawn whatever type of zombie you want
  • Provides objectives for critical thinking for players
  • Constant movement from one point to another
  • Camping is impossible because of the constant movement
  • No trader meaning, players have to use the weapons given
  • The aspect of the StoryMode Feeling
:IS2:

Upvote 0