• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Map KF-ChillwindPlateau

Seanchaoz

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 29, 2016
Denmarkia
www.synchaoz.com
qmYdgjgh.jpg
Battle Zeds on a small otherworldly platform high above ground in a frosty mountain range, watched over by the mighty Clot God and Frosty the Evil Snowman.

Chillwind Plateau is a small defense-style map well suited for Survival and Endless game modes.

I created it as a 5-day mini project (roughly 20 hours of work) because I just needed to get away from a big map project that was taking up a lot of time, and do something different.

Map trivia:

- The center area are layered stacks of the small Manor chess boards, scaled up by a huge factor. This created a serious dilemma because those models have no collision, which meant I had to create custom blocking volumes shaped fairly precisely to the chess pieces. In addition, I had to make a custom rigid body blocking mesh to hide inside of the pieces to ensure that the ragdoll bodies of dead zeds did not clip through them.

- The snowmen are built out of apples, carrots and lightbulbs!

- The forest at the bottom of the mountain range is just an overly detailed KillZone. The drop from the platform is more than 100.000 units long.

- I died like 30 times playtesting this on Suicidal (2 of those deaths were from getting kicked off the edge by a FP). Don't let the small size and open design fool you, it is chaotic to navigate and the spawns are aggressive.

- Building a map based on a chessboard was an idea that came to me all the way back in April 2016, but didn't get realized until 6 months later. throughout this period I implemented the idea into 2 different maps, both of which were abandoned.