• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-Camping

Leon75

Aug 17, 2009
Map Name: KF-Campfire (Previously KF-Camping)
Beta Number: 1.1
Playable: Yes
Pictures: Look Down
Map Download: Check the final release : http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=40774

Description of map: The map is located in a forest that is located somewhere in Estonia. Your crew has escaped into the forest to be further away from the specimen. But because it's cold and it started snowing, you had to make a campfire, And the specimen have noticed it...

The map layout is rather simple, hopefully fun, too.

Made this map because I thought that there needs to be a forest map that's in the night.

Edit : Fixed most of the bugs in the map:

-Fixed pathing. (Patriarch now runs away after he gets damaged;Zombies dont pile up on entrences)
-Trees now have proper collision.
-Sunlight has been dimmed down a little bit.
-Snow now also falls outside the camp.
-Fixed players having the possibilty to jump over the gate by making KFZombieZones

Attachments

• Shot00003.jpg
    Shot00003.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: ro_sauce
I've had a go both in game and the SDK and it's actually not that bad. A simple little map that replies on pressure in a contained area.

Good Points:
Forrest looks great.
Camping area looks very believable.
Good description thats very neat.
I like the new trader.
Snow.

Bad Points:
Zombies struggle abit to get in there.
You can just shoot through the trees/foliage.
Husks shoot and hit the walls all the time.
Zombies arn't able to walk around the perimeter.
Zombies only walk along the path - predictable and no surprize attacks.
Possible to get out of the camp.
Bright Forrest.

Suggestions:
Open up KF-Wyre and have a look at the purple collision hulls they have used, Add these to your map or at least have them close to the camp to help give the zombies a chance.

Add a hill or a higher ground area and have only husks spawn there. this way they can bombard your emcampment without having to be point blank with your team just to get a hit in.

Add more pathnodes to allow zombies to choose their own route. They arn't very smart but they do like to split up, this is useful for the odd flank (yes they do this once in a blue moon) and this also stops them from bottlenecking themselves while trying to get over the walls.

Shape the brush into a ramp or stairs and create a blocking volumes, add this to the areas you want the zombies to climb into the camp, This will help them greatly and hopefully stop the bottlenecking.

Add more spawn points, zombies generally only walk down the path so its predictable where to aim, have some spawn in the forrest with paths that lead them around the perimeter.

Add KFzombiezone volumes around the walls, this will make sure that players cannot get out of the camp. The walls may look high enough but you can bet that someone will be able to jump over it.

Tweak or remove the sunlight. Myself I would remove it since it's PITCH black in a forrest at night, truely scary stuff. However if you want to keep it I would advice turning it down. The camp fire allows you to see inside the camp well enough, however you can see right through the forrest thanks to the sunlight and I think this is a bad thing. I'd rather the zombies appear from the dark and have them reletively close before you can see them.

It might be worth setting up the odd lantern for extra light in smaller doses where needed (especially if you did remove the sunlight).

Add some bottles/litter inside the camp, just some decoration things to make it look more used (turn off collision on these little items though).

The snow looks great but it's only inside the camp. you need it to go outside a bit so that it looks like it isn't only snowing inside the camp (also doesn't snow in the traders).

Overall:
I think this has the potential to be a pretty good map. Keep tweaking and improving it and make whatever use of the feedback that people leave you.

ps, also add a class blocker (stair shaped-class boss) and add it inside the camp leading out. This way the boss can escape to go heal himself. Doubt TW would whitelist this if the boss was trapped with you and no way for him to hide and heal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I managed to get to wave 7 as a level 6 commando.

The lower waves were a bit slow and boring but I think this was mainly because you have 60 secs to get to the trader that I'm standing right next to. Would to nice if you could somehow lower this.

Zombies mostly come from the 2 gaps by the trader (one on each side).

Would love to try this online in a 6 man team.

LOL no it's not quite as evil as KF-Survival.

Upvote 0
OMG Just tried it out and got totally wiped again :D

Nothing quite like knowing you ain't gonna make it.

Zombies are WAAAAAAAAAAAY more efficient at getting in which unfortunately means my demise :p

Snow still looks like it's only falling on the camp. Try adding the snow emitter to the skybox and see what happens, might work out pretty good.

Lighting is definately better. Personally I'd turn it right down but not everyone likes that so its whatever you prefer.

I just noticed that your map hasn't got a "KFLevelRules" actor in it. This might explain why the zombies come in so thick and fast, although i don't think it really matters since the map plays great.

Might be worth adding a few weapons in the camp to help out people who arn't level 6. I'd probably put in just a few melee weapons which you don't tend to see people using much like the machete and axe, maybe even the odd 9mm, but make sure you set it so that it only spawns the once.

But don't go over board if you do add weapons, say 3 or 4 might be good. That way there ISN'T enough to go around :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Upvote 0