• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-AspenManor Final Beta

Fel

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2009
In Mission Mode
Map Name: Aspen Manor

Beta Number: who knows... this was kept secrete

Description of map: let me just say its pure hell you need to work as a team to survive

What testing is wanted: exploits

Map Download/Download Size: 9megs zip 38 unzip

http://www.filefront.com/14402999/AspenManor2c.zip

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ah39080/n/AspenManor2c_zip

6 traders
1 of each major wep
about 250m by 150m in size

Shot00055.jpg

Shot00054.jpg

Shot00036.jpg

Shot00044.jpg

Shot00056.jpg

Things that im fixing: a few lighting issues where the zones make the textures white (only in 1 spot)

Getting the FPS in the back of the grave yard to at least 20 (It drops down to 12 in a couple areas) but i have a crappy comp

Tweeking the fog inside the house for a realaist fealing (i might not change it casue i like it)

More screenshots

Shot00072.jpg

Shot00073.jpg

Shot00075.jpg

killf-2009-07-18-20-04-08.png

Go down for more pics

Last edited:
Aspen Manor have the classical zombie/undead infestation charm to it and really highlights during game play when you find yourselfe scattered about yet close enugh in pairs, where standing still too long instead of trying to meet up with the other pairs gets you into trouble real quick.

The trader might take you to the Manor or the ghoulish Cementary with lootable crypts that can indeed become your tomb if you wander off alone.

The map is seemingly made to make you feel you are in 'Their' territory and not somewhere middle of nowhere, zeds homing in on you with x-ray vision and march miles just to track you down like moste other maps tend to make one feel.

Here, teamwork is prudent on Hard and Scui, form into a kill team, designated targets to avoid waisting ammo and keep your team members free from distraction. It is prudent the team dosnt allow themselfe to be ambushed at the siren appearing waves or you all know what results that usually adds up to.

Map candy sutch as ammo and wep spawn is here, there and evrywhere, yet not enought to go around and it makes the Trader indeed an objective.

Once youve learned the candy spawn of the map after alot of exploration, you could use it as an tatical advantage combined with the map itselfe
-lifesaver if you happen to be last man standing and aint quite fully equipt to deal with a Scrake/FP and a bunch of crawlers on your heel.

Game play on this map is nice on solo, where you can explore alittle more freely due to no dependance of a squads movement. However its a coop game and it gets really exciting when you really do work as a team or in some cases as best as a team would allow on public.

With little respite, the intencity can tune your andrenaline rush up, especially when youre the lone survivor and your team depends on your success to beat the last, against all odds, low ammo and ambushes being deployed by the foe at evry turn you make.

Upvote 0
Aspen Manor have the classical zombie/undead infestation charm to it and really highlights during game play when you find yourselfe scattered about yet close enugh in pairs, where standing still too long instead of trying to meet up with the other pairs gets you into trouble real quick.

The trader might take you to the Manor or the ghoulish Cementary with lootable crypts that can indeed become your tomb if you wander off alone.

The map is seemingly made to make you feel you are in 'Their' territory and not somewhere middle of nowhere, zeds homing in on you with x-ray vision and march miles just to track you down like moste other maps tend to make one feel.

Here, teamwork is prudent on Hard and Scui, form into a kill team, designated targets to avoid waisting ammo and keep your team members free from distraction. It is prudent the team dosnt allow themselfe to be ambushed at the siren appearing waves or you all know what results that usually adds up to.

Map candy sutch as ammo and wep spawn is here, there and evrywhere, yet not enought to go around and it makes the Trader indeed an objective.

Once youve learned the candy spawn of the map after alot of exploration, you could use it as an tatical advantage combined with the map itselfe
-lifesaver if you happen to be last man standing and aint quite fully equipt to deal with a Scrake/FP and a bunch of crawlers on your heel.

Game play on this map is nice on solo, where you can explore alittle more freely due to no dependance of a squads movement. However its a coop game and it gets really exciting when you really do work as a team or in some cases as best as a team would allow on public.

With little respite, the intencity can tune your andrenaline rush up, especially when youre the lone survivor and your team depends on your success to beat the last, against all odds, low ammo and ambushes being deployed by the foe at evry turn you make.

Impressive and your first post on these forums too. I smell a rat haha. The length map makers go to...

Upvote 0
Impressive and your first post on these forums too. I smell a rat haha. The length map makers go to...

illium has tested aspen manor quite a bit so im surprised he didnt write out a full review sooner. although i do think the review is a bit over the top for a beta - but once you cut through all the **** illium wrote, theres some truth to what hes saying.

i shouldve mentioned it earlier but i have a few beefs with aspen manor, but overall i like the map. ive tested it a bit with fel so ive seen quite a bit of progress on this one. my main beef is with the texturing. heres a screenshot of a room in aspen manor as is, and then a second one after i rescaled the texture (downsized it) to .25:

aspen-01.png

aspen-02.png

the first one the textures are too large, and so its not showing the detail its meant to show. i then scaled it to .25 (downsizing it), and now there is so much more detail. the map is beautiful, it just needs resizing with the textures. heres another example in the graveyard:

aspen03.png

aspen04.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
dunno y but i think those small textures look ugly. I like how the textures look as is. ><

either way - the smaller they are the more detailed, the larger they are the less detailed. thats the cold hard fact of images. also think of realism, like this picture for example, there is no way those wood floor boards are that large compared to a chair and even a desk:

aspen-01.png

if you dont resize them, fine, ill still enjoy the map, but to me there is so much detail in those textures that is missing beause of the way they are scaled.

Upvote 0
What I would suggest to Fel is that to find textures that are already scaled about that size but still have the detail on them.

even then, its still not realistic to have floorboards that size, and stones that size for a path that isnt used by vehicles. again, look at the screenshot, compare the size of those floorboards with that desk, and with that chair. the only possible way that a place like that would have floorboards that size is if they went and cut down the largest redwoods out there:

aspen-01.png

Upvote 0
Downscale the textures; they look wholly ugly and out of scale to the surroundings. Although they repeat more often, they look realistic at the smaller scale. This is a major flaw many mappers fail to correct and it detracts from the feel of the map. It's the first thing I noticed when looking at the screenshots...have not played the map, but would say the same thing regardless.

Upvote 0