• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-AspenManor Final Beta

I was talking about the size of the desk, not the material. Looks like a desk made for midgets in comparison to the door.

wow if you actually take it look at all the Core level.....THEY ARE ALL THE SAME SIZE as my lvl

maybe your a midget?

The trader is a midget

lol thats funny cause i didnt scale the objects they are all the original sizes, so you must be saing that TW doesnt know how to make size approiate stuff casue thats what i used.

BTW if you want to compare... open up the Furniture Mesh packet... OMG THEY ARE THE SAME SIZE :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
wow if you actually take it look at all the Core level.....THEY ARE ALL THE SAME SIZE as my lvl

maybe your a midget?

The trader is a midget

lol thats funny cause i didnt scale the objects they are all the original sizes, so you must be saing that TW doesnt know how to make size approiate stuff casue thats what i used.

If your gonna comment at least make comments that are accurate.

BTW if you want to compare... open up the Furniture Mesh packet... OMG THEY ARE THE SAME SIZE :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Euhm.... actually tripwire rescales the models in their maps if you didn't knew....
for example, the bus in westlondon is 17x bigger than the one in the package, and the telephoneboot is 10x bigger.

It's not because the model is a certain size in the mesh package, that therefore the model isn't later rescaled to another size in the editor.

So perhaps you need to make "accurate comments" before acting like a smartass.

But really nice reply there bud, i was just trying to help you seeing you wanted comments, apparently not..

edit: if you want to know how to rescale models, select the model -> f4 -> display -> DrawScale (by default 1), change it to anything you want till it's realistic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
so how do they resize the objects if everything around is at the same proportion?

I quite explained how to rescale objects, which tripwire also does when placing models in their maps seeing that a 3D modelling package can't work in Epic's magical unreal units. I also gave 2 examples where this is done in WestLondon.

Also, it just appears the door is huge, which skewed the perspective. You can say you copied those doors all you want out of stock maps, but even in Tripwires maps, all their maps except foundry (in that map the proportions are correct), the doors are huge compared to the player. You could open the doorknob with your teeth without bending.

Upvote 0
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*All we do is complaiiiiiiiiiin AAAAABOUT EEEEEEEEEVery Thiiiiing!!*

I just sung that out loud
Don't be a drama queen, you wanted comments and criticism, i pointed out 1 small thing, that the proportions in that room didn't match. That ain't my fault, nor problem.

Weird, i recall having the same discussion a month ago, guess some people never change. Oh well, this will be my last reply here seeing there is no point in helping a brick wall.

Good luck improving on pointless "good job" comments by friends,

- The Wanderer

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, it just appears the door is huge, which skewed the perspective. You can say you copied those doors all you want out of stock maps, but even in Tripwires maps, all their maps except foundry (in that map the proportions are correct), the doors are huge compared to the player. You could open the doorknob with your teeth without bending.

sooo then my map is size proportionate to the TW maps....

y dont you go complain about there maps instead of mine

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't be a drama queen, you wanted comments and criticism, i pointed out 1 small thing, that the proportions in that room didn't match. That ain't my fault, nor problem.

Weird, i recall having the same discussion a month ago, guess some people never change. Oh well, this will be my last reply here seeing there is no point in helping a brick wall.

Good luck improving on pointless "good job" comments by friends,

- The Wanderer

wow im sry your an angry person and you must find things wrong to complain about. how about you just dont comment on my map then if its not positive

wheres you map btw, let me see you map so i can talk crap about it say its too big and stuff

. Oh well, this will be my last reply here seeing there is no point in helping a brick wall.

Calling that help is like saying your friend is hanging by his fingertips on the edge of a cliff screaming for help, and you walk up and say hes holding on the wrong way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
wheres you map btw, let me see you map so i can talk crap about it say its too big and stuff
Boy oh boy, sure why not.
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=35706

Also, i already said this before, if criticism is justified, it doesnt matter if it comes from a fellow mapper or from someone who just plays the game, in the end, criticism is criticism and you need to be able to cope with it if you want to improve faster.

Also i'm not angry, in truth i wouldn't really care if you fixed the stuff i pointed out, like i said earlier, not my map, not my problem ;)

As long as you're having fun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Like i said b4, Im just repeating myself

Calling that help is like saying your friend is hanging by his fingertips on the edge of a cliff screaming for help, and you walk up and say hes holding on the wrong way.

Well i tried to help you by pointing out disproportions, but you started to deflect it as if i'm a filthy heathen that needs to be burned on the stakes for pointing something out rather than kneeling before your awesomeness.

Would you continue to help someone who just keeps writing in caps lock writing stuff that really didn't matter instead of simply writing "i'll look into it", or "i do think it's correct this way".

Can you honestly say that it's normal for a desk to be that small compared to a door? It's not because tripwire uses that for sizes (and they don't anymore, just look how small a door is now in Foundry, with small i mean correct size), you should. Be critic of other's their work and yourself.

You can reply to this with as much banter as you want, but to make it clear, this isn't written because i hate you, nor because i'm angry or anything. (just to make clear before i read replies like "you're angry man", which again, is just deflecting my point).

By the way, all my comments are written with the bests of intentions to help you improve, which is why i'm still wondering why you always try to verbally attack someone for pointing them out after you've specifically asked for comments yourself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It always has to be a first poste..

And here's another "book" if you will, wich you can skip and definetly dont have to reply on even if you read it, this isnt a /popcorn forum.

I have played many maps and have the last two weeks spent many houers on this map during different stages because they happen to been uploaded on my fav-server.

I disregarded to point out flaws, exploits and whatnot in the poste becouse I simply do it ingame and saw no point in telling the creator the things ive found lacking on the map here, that he already knows about, and let you "fresh" testers, to coment on things you find should be improved.

I decided to write a review containing a little more then a line of 'omg lol, guud juub, lol omg you suck noob' - I chose to talk about the game play, the feeling of the map, wich I think is quite an important aspect of a map that some mappers seems to care very little for.

I turned to ppl who might like a challenge on hard/scui diff, those who run in a prefixd team and mostely beats whatever map they play.

After all, its the other half of a map to be valuated.
But I take it that the look of a map is the only thing that matters in your eyes, wich takes away the whole point of a foe and Game-play experiance. Wich asks, what purpouse dose the map server then?

To be frank, alot of maps are filled with poor texturing and lightning, contains redicilous out proortioned objects or something thats against law of physics or things thats put in places wich is pure stupid.
"Cleaning up" all that is a part of what a beta testing is for...

Im not going to name whos maps and what map, this isnt a /popcorn flaming-forum and serve no purpose to coment on now.
But, we can probberly all agree that the Core maps are lacking in one way or another,. I find them plain boring after a while wich is good, it spurs ppl to create additional maps to be played.

It seems many tend to do maps with the HL2 air about them,
wich is becomming tiresome, same theme all over, same map as the last, just around the corner or behind "that" barricade.

But, it works for some, wich is fine, Asp-Manor simply had an different and more appealing theme to me and I feelt id coment on it aswell as the gameplay feeling. Hope you mappers take it in and create more radical enviroment changes to your maps for the sake of us gamers to get more out of the game.

About someones coment on Doors and Floor Boards, Wheres your fantasy?
For all you know its custom made for Horzine's creatures, maybe its the Patriarchs little kitchen and want a door knop fiting his meaty fists?
The floor board might aswell be fake, IKEA glued sheets of texture to cover a metallic/whatnot structure below for Horzines labs and to support the rest of the building? - Who knows. who cares? - any artist critic know that there almoste always are sutch unknowables in any artists crations.

Point Is.. I dont think it matters mutch if youre busy killing suff, even if you try to explore. But I do understand that some things on a map, just irks when you see them. But thats just person to person stuff, always someone who disslikes something.

Now I dont care what you coment on this map or whoevers map, its your review and opinion.
If I decide to coment on a map, know that I do it Quite Objectivly, and definetly not to "promote / sell" a "friends" map.
I care very little for intruiges, drama and classical /popcorn crap so I try to avoid it. If I happen to Coment/write a review of Your map, well, I hope its wellcomed no matter if its positive, creative or negative content.

Upvote 0
Hey

Hey

Nice review. Well thought out and written. I have Fel's maps on my server. Plus several other mappers. I enjoy them all. Everyone has there own taste and it is nice to have a different set of views. I have only turned away a few mappers. Not due to mapping skills. One example of a map was the music was embedded into the map. Way to loud. Could not turn it down. The map was appealing however I am a competition kinda of person. So I like to listen for sounds footsteps and so on. If I want the music on I can turn it on. If I want it off I turn it off. I am also a ameature mapper and I can respect all the hard work it takes to go into these. I have a long ways to go.

If someone wishes to critize a map for looks and so on they should build there own from scrap.

What we look for as mappers is things [my point of view] lag, exploits, glitches, and so on. Let the person be artistic as they like when it comes to view. My map has detail in areas some people will not see. Unless they are a fellow mapper and go hey how did you do that. Like I said I am a noob and have a ways to go. However I think I can speak a little on the issue.

Now for this map Fel. I love it. The library needs work as you know due to lag. Kinda like my whole map. LOL. Other then that it was very nice and I did not find any exploits yet. Keep up the good work.

Upvote 0
It always has to be a first poste..

And here's another "book" if you will, wich you can skip and definetly dont have to reply on even if you read it, this isnt a /popcorn forum.

I have played many maps and have the last two weeks spent many houers on this map during different stages because they happen to been uploaded on my fav-server.

I disregarded to point out flaws, exploits and whatnot in the poste becouse I simply do it ingame and saw no point in telling the creator the things ive found lacking on the map here, that he already knows about, and let you "fresh" testers, to coment on things you find should be improved.

I decided to write a review containing a little more then a line of 'omg lol, guud juub, lol omg you suck noob' - I chose to talk about the game play, the feeling of the map, wich I think is quite an important aspect of a map that some mappers seems to care very little for.

I turned to ppl who might like a challenge on hard/scui diff, those who run in a prefixd team and mostely beats whatever map they play.

After all, its the other half of a map to be valuated.
But I take it that the look of a map is the only thing that matters in your eyes, wich takes away the whole point of a foe and Game-play experiance. Wich asks, what purpouse dose the map server then?

To be frank, alot of maps are filled with poor texturing and lightning, contains redicilous out proortioned objects or something thats against law of physics or things thats put in places wich is pure stupid.
"Cleaning up" all that is a part of what a beta testing is for...

Im not going to name whos maps and what map, this isnt a /popcorn flaming-forum and serve no purpose to coment on now.
But, we can probberly all agree that the Core maps are lacking in one way or another,. I find them plain boring after a while wich is good, it spurs ppl to create additional maps to be played.

It seems many tend to do maps with the HL2 air about them,
wich is becomming tiresome, same theme all over, same map as the last, just around the corner or behind "that" barricade.

But, it works for some, wich is fine, Asp-Manor simply had an different and more appealing theme to me and I feelt id coment on it aswell as the gameplay feeling. Hope you mappers take it in and create more radical enviroment changes to your maps for the sake of us gamers to get more out of the game.

About someones coment on Doors and Floor Boards, Wheres your fantasy?
For all you know its custom made for Horzine's creatures, maybe its the Patriarchs little kitchen and want a door knop fiting his meaty fists?
The floor board might aswell be fake, IKEA glued sheets of texture to cover a metallic/whatnot structure below for Horzines labs and to support the rest of the building? - Who knows. who cares? - any artist critic know that there almoste always are sutch unknowables in any artists crations.

Point Is.. I dont think it matters mutch if youre busy killing suff, even if you try to explore. But I do understand that some things on a map, just irks when you see them. But thats just person to person stuff, always someone who disslikes something.

Now I dont care what you coment on this map or whoevers map, its your review and opinion.
If I decide to coment on a map, know that I do it Quite Objectivly, and definetly not to "promote / sell" a "friends" map.
I care very little for intruiges, drama and classical /popcorn crap so I try to avoid it. If I happen to Coment/write a review of Your map, well, I hope its wellcomed no matter if its positive, creative or negative content.

so what do you not like in aspen manor????? its great giving a review praising it over and over and over, but the review is a little thin when theres not a single thing in it that you dont like. youre pretty much saying, "aspen manor is perfect". be objective.

Upvote 0
Dex, my review was about how my opinion of the game play was, and you know wery well about the countless new additions to sneaky spawn sites and elemination of a "good" camping-spot, that Fel have tried to make sure that If one camp an area, theyll get punished for it, so its not just another walk in the park. And you, already told him "its already hard".
My opinion was about the general theme, and something about the 'map diff', to what kind of players that might enjoy it moste, by letting them know that this map can definetly be "hard" on Hard-mode.

You also know Very well about stuff like the glitching graphic on one of the crypts that you found and showed me... If ppl find stuff they that needs to be fixt, they should coment and let the creator know, thats the point isnt it? One should not make a decission about what They think of something based one One sole person's review where its placed on a thread with many other. One should sum it up, test the map themselfe and make their own judgement.

- Just to point out something that I find is lacking. Well I liked it when it was bigger, the creator deleted a whole section just becouse ppl tended to not play much in that area. In my opinion it was a shame, cus it didnt affect the route to the trader, and was a whole other section to make your last stand on.. if one should choose to have it there.
- Its not up to me, so the creator deletes whatever he/she want.

Theres some spots in the Cementary where mobs spawns in the air and falls down on crypt roofs, ive neverd liked teleport-spawning, you know foe materializing in thin air raining down on you, when its so obvious.
But thats just one of those person-to-person irks I talked about before, besides its just on two places this occurs and dont know if the creator have fixed it so you dont see the "spawn drop"

Besides sutch minor things, no matter how mutch it irks on me, I looked at it in an objectivly point of view and decided it really didnt matter the game play feeling that mutch that I had to notch it down a bit.

But then again I usually try to avoid the Cementary area and prefere to take the fight to the Manor. - Again just an personal thingy, some preferes the graveyeard.
And again, may I remind you, I have complained about things on the map and notified things thats just lacking, but, in game, and moste of those beloged to other versions of this map.

My review was not about, Claiming it to be 'Perfect', so dont get me wrong there Dex, its hard to make a good map and its definetly harder to please evryone, and perfection is just something only the creator can achive and that view dosnt have to be matching with his peers, soo to speak.

But youre right, its healthier with "negative" feed back then positive cus it can blind a person quite easealy thus no progress being made.
Over glorification also just makes ppl fed up and avoid/ignore whatever thats overglorified.
But then again, The review wasnt ment for the creator only, it was for ppl seeking a challenge, to try the map out. test it and give their own response here, negative,positive whatever they choose.

Upvote 0
I just tested this out with some of my fellow [AE] members for potentially including it on our server. In my opinion it has a long way to go.

Code:
tl;dr version:

* Add better lighting.
* Improve and thoroughly test the pathfinding.
* Fill out the rooms better with more props etc.
* Make it easier to tell which doors are locked and which aren't.
I'm not particularly fond of dark maps, but in a lot of places this map is too dark. Too often I found that we were shooting at silhouettes and not really being able to identify what we're coming up against. Crawlers would be an absolute nightmare inside the manor.

The pathfinding seems to have some troubles, too. Zeds were actually walking away from us.

There were more than a few rooms that had basically nothing in them. Typically they were closets or stuff like that. Speaking of, there's tons of doors but you don't distinguish between which can be opened and which can't. Please do like Tripwire does on official maps and have a message pop up that says "This Door is Locked." or put a plank over the doors that go nowhere so its obvious.

A lot of this map seems to be space for the sake of space, as well. The rooms need to be filled out a good bit more.

Upvote 0