• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

kettenkrad

This looks awesome, that would be neat to drive around in RO.

I think that it might be a good equivalent to the BA, I was origionally going to move toward the BMW, but it wouldn't have nearly as much protection as the BA has.

Maybe the passenger could use his main machine gun or rifle since it doesn't look like it has any mounted weapons.

Upvote 0
i wonder if some company could build me a reproduction kettenkrad? that would be awesome:D

There is a company called Ural (Russian I'm pretty sure) that builds motorcycles that are basically the same ones that the Russians used during WWII. They're somewhat expensive for the amount of bike you get (not alot), but they look fantastic.

What's ironic is that I understand that the Russian motorcycle in WWII was basically a copy of the military bike the Germans were using prior to the war.

I was very tempted to pick one up, but $10,000 American for a bike with only 40 horsepower was a bit too steep for me. Finding a decent used one isn't easy either.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
There is a company called Ural (Russian I'm pretty sure) that builds motorcycles that are basically the same ones that the Russians used during WWII. They're somewhat expensive for the amount of bike you get (not alot), but they look fantastic.

What's ironic is that I understand that the Russian motorcycle in WWII was basically a copy of the military bike the Germans were using prior to the war.

I was very tempted to pick one up, but $10,000 American for a bike with only 40 horsepower was a bit too steep for me. Finding a decent used one isn't easy either.

Irbitskiy motorcycle plant . It is practically dead.http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ru_en&trurl=http://uralmoto.ru/

10000 $:eek: :D
In Moscow it can be bought from 3.000$ up to 50$ depending on a condition.
But with it will have will have to spend a lot of time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
IIRC the factory that makes Ural motorcycles was actually a captured German factory. The bikes are basically BMW motorcycles, built by the Ural company on the same equipment that has been making them for 60-ish years now. I seriously considered purchasing one (the sidecar version) when they first came out, but the prices rapidly went from reasonable to outrageous.

BTW, the ones with the sidecar came complete with a full spare wheel. There was also a toolkit in the trunk of the sidecar that would allow you to basically disassemble the entire bike and then put it back together. When you're 1,000 kilometers from the nearest garage, you better be able to do your own repairs...

Upvote 0
it would be a nice equivalent of the BA64 :p though i should be able to kill the germans riding it cause they look pretty exposed to me:p
but saying that they were not used in the front lines, is practically only so in the field manual IMO. a soldier needs to be resourcefull, so if that includes using the Kettengrad for anything else then what it was made for, that could be very much so, though it would have its downsides too ofcourse, wich it will have ingame too.
hell, you can kill people with allmost anything, doesnt mean they are recorded in the field manual, wich doesnt mean they werent used

Upvote 0

My grandfather had an uh... original... one of those (he got it as surplus after the war). I know for sure that it was still running back in 1996 (that makes the bike at least 50 years old...), not sure what's happened to it since then. And it's not like he took especially good care of it either - it was strictly for utilitarian purposes (driving around on bad rural Russian roads).

Upvote 0
Actually, gotta correct myself on the origins of the URAL motorcycle. In 1939 the Russians smuggled 6 BMW R/75 motorcycles from Norway to Russia, then reverse-engineered the bikes and created the machinery to make them. Since that time the factory has been making what is, in effect, a 1939 BMW R/75 with only minor modernizations.

The "Tourist" goes for about $8,500 around here. It doesn't have the leading-arm front fork, but should still do the job. One of these days...

Upvote 0
Sorry to necro, but I think this'd be a really good thing for Germans in RO to have. Since Soviets already have the high-capacity UC and the fast BA, Germans'd have the more-vulnerable, relatively fast Kettenkrad. A win/win scenario to me!

Also, don't know what source it's based on, but they say here that it was used MAINLY on the Eastern Front... Go figure.

EDIT: Also, it would be a great thing if the two passengers were not immobile, but had the possibility to shoot from the vehicle. BA's armoured, UC's armoured and the SdKfz is armoured, the Krad'd be not. So give them at least a chance to fire when fired upon. Now, that's a win/win!

Last edited:
Upvote 0