• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Katyusha Truck

Nathan Bay

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2008
The Moon
I would like the idea for the second Ro, if they are making it, to have a katyusha truck. Imagine being able to fire rockets at people. Or, another cool thing would to have that instead of that artillary. Imagine a night map and seeing the missiles fly in the air and land. Lots of noise and lighting. Just an idea.

This is not Battlefield 1942 where you can use Katyusha in range of 50m

Pfft. Real men used them to shoot down low flying B-17s

As for the OP, I doubt we'll ever see Katyusha trucks on anything but very, very large tank maps in RO2. The only maps were it might fit in would be Kirovi Rog, Orel, or Debrecen. But to use them you'd have to have a very corodinated team and skilled crew.

Much better would be to have, as you suggested, the option of setting rocket arty as a map option for artillery.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That would be cool tho. Different sounds & effects for a rocket barrage.
Idont think the russians could "call in" a fast rocket attack in reality tho. (?)

I believe they where used to soften the lines before an attack.

Problem is with nearly every kind of artillery (expect mortars, and light mortars which were like direct attachment to the unit, or had beter chance of being in contact and just popping shells off) is that communications during WW2 were not exactly the best always and there are always organisation related stuff going on. While just calling in a rain of rockets in midgame would be cool to some extent, it would be also very unrealistic and unlikely thing to happen and if you can figure a way to simulate pre-battle barrage without just tossing random destruction within the first 5-10 seconds of the map - I am all ears.

And then again only some very large (or insanely large on RO scale) maps would possibly work with any rocket based artillery, since on small maps the odds of friendly fire would be more than you can imagine, as they are not exactly accurate weapons :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Even if RO2 (or whatever) maps are made big enough for it, i just dont see artillery, rocket or otherwise, beeing a worthy player opperated thing, because it's just not that exciting, you'd basically just hang back in some safe zone, and wait for orders, then dial in the coordinates you get and shoot and reload untill you're told to stop, and then back to waiting for new orders.. thats what artillary does, who really wants to play that?

Upvote 0
Yes the Soviet army could call for fire too. All most all of the Call For FIRE during WW2 was done with field phones and not radios. Radios at the time were bulky and prone too being jammed or easvedropped on while calling for fire. Mortars being integral to a unit (company or BN size) usually had a better chance of calling for fire in a timely manner versus a corps asset such as a Katyushas which would take massive planning to be effective.

Upvote 0
It is already pointed out that considering RO game scale rocket artillery is not simply practical. There is no way to simulate proper pre-mission bombardment and in small maps you'd just risk very high pergetance for teamkills and the fact it might not hit a ****. If it does, it is indeed deadly but having roughly 400mx400m large spreading radius (atleast this is very average in Combat Mission and SPWaW, so feel free to correct with beter information if you bave :p) does not sound exactly convincing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't how large an area a katushya batteri covers but I do know that an 8 gun 155mm battery firing high explosive shells covers an area of 250 meters by 150 meters per volley if fired in standard loose pattern and if we look at most maps in RO and its mods that would make it impossible to implement without ruining gameplay as moving around in the area of the artillery strike will be suicide.

If we must have realistic artillery then the maps of RO needs to be vastly larger than they are now otherwise gameplay will suffer.

Upvote 0
The German, British and American armies could do that. It was part of their operational capability. They had the communications for it. They trained for it. The Russian army didn't have the radios, nor the training, nor the operational control at that level.

Please, let's see the citations from historic sources to back up a statement like that. Or is this just one of those things that 'everybody knows'?

Regarding the use of katyushas: they were most usually used prior to an assault as they were by no means a precise wepon simply due to their very nature.

Example - a rocket brigade firing M-31s (8 rails with 300mm rockets per truck) covered an area of 42 hectares (about 100 acres) with about 18 rockets landing per hectare. This means about 7-8 rockets landing in the area of a football field. They also had a minimum range of 2,800 metres.*

Sometimes brigades using smaller rockets would try to concentrate their fire to a concentration of 20-30 rockets per hectare. It is also worth noting that a heavy rocket would usually destroy a light or medium vehicle or a gun if it landed withing 5-10 metres.**

So a barrage was certainly enough to mess up vehicles and gun emplacements in a large target area but not enough to inflict more than low to middle percentage casualties amongst dug-in troops. Their morale, however, would be through the floor shortly thereafter.

*Prokhorov, I & Trusov, V - "Reaktivnaya artilleriya v Velikoi Otechestvennoi Voine," Voenno Istoricheskii Zhurnal, Moscow, Vol 1-66, p. 5

** 1995, Armstrong, R N - "Red Army Legacies", Schiffer Military History, Atglen, PA, p.23

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We looked at doing this vehicle/arty piece and came to the same conclussions, need too much map or need to alter the range of the rockets. Think about the size of Berezina, as an example, over 1,000 meters long. Now think of needing nearly three of those maps.

Next game, we are talking about more 76mm battery capability "in map", but that depends on sky boxes and other conditions. We'll see, but there are a lot of complicating factors. To date, the off-map arty call is the best option. The only other good direct support weapon is the mortar... ;) there is always the capability to bring that into the game, just as CC did.

Upvote 0
Pfft. Real men used them to shoot down low flying B-17s

As for the OP, I doubt we'll ever see Katyusha trucks on anything but very, very large tank maps in RO2. The only maps were it might fit in would be Kirovi Rog, Orel, or Debrecen. But to use them you'd have to have a very corodinated team and skilled crew.

Much better would be to have, as you suggested, the option of setting rocket arty as a map option for artillery.

Hahah... :D
and yeah, would be great with rocket artillery... like the Nebelwerfer... :cool:

Upvote 0