Katana

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

mrsirr

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 12, 2013
Over here, no not there, here.
This is just a slight concern. It occurs to me that, unless I'm mistaken, the katana is pretty much better in every way than the crovel. This isn't a bad thing exactly, but it's weird that as a berzerker I immediately ditch my tier 1 weapon for an off-perk weapon. The katana weighs less, costs very little and is still extremely good.
Of course if you're planning on increasing the price later on then that'd probably be fine.

Vulparia

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 3, 2014
Ireland
It's off perk because I believe their planning on using it for the Martial Arts class, similar to how the Flamethrower is off perk for the Firebug class.

mrsirr

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 12, 2013
Oh I mean yeah. But it's weird that as a berzerker I immediately take to using another perk's weapon.
It's not even like those weird multi-perk combos in the first game. As soon as I can get it it pretty much becomes my primary weapon.

Actually if it were perk-less it would make some sense. Being a weapon of another perk just makes it weird.
Again though, this isn't really a problem, just kinda odd.

Last edited:

moleculo

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 2, 2013
Even after the class bonuses? That's a bit odd, but nothing that couldn't be fixed.

moleculo

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 2, 2013
Mind you I'm like, level 1 or 2 zerker. Just seems odd that my go-to weapon is that of another perk.
Well, maybe that changes when you gain a few levels. I agree it's a bit odd though, but after all you have to pay for the katana.

Shining Wolf

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 13, 2011
Are you primary firing with the shovel or alting? Alt fire basically one shots weaker zeds with a headshot, which is easy to do since it goes vertically down. They might be having it be really good right now with good stats to see how well it is with MA.

Furious Imbecile

FNG / Fresh Meat
Oct 18, 2014
Finland
Katana seems to be equal to the crovel actually, Im thinking it's the Dragons starting weapon considering how cheap and inefficient it is.

mrsirr

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 12, 2013
I tend to primary. The thing about the crovel is that it's really slow compared to the katana. And alt makes it even slower of course. Not saying that the crovel is useless now, but the katana just works so much better for me. It also fits better into my loadouts; weighs less and whatnot.
If I take the eviscerator, I only have space for the crovel or the katana (in terms of melee weapons) and katana is always the better choice for me.

Deli

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 22, 2015
They will probaby sort the balance out in time. Balance is always the latest issue. Unless it is really broken.

Last edited:

mrsirr

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 12, 2013
I believe headshots do. At least clot and friends. It's harder to headshot crawlers so crovel actually is better against them for me.

Actually when I made this thread I was under the impression that the katana did more damage than the crovel. Not sure where I got that idea but if it doesn't then they are at least side-grades.

Shining Wolf

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 13, 2011
I don't think it'll stay that way because that means it's basically a level KF1 6 zerk katana offperk. There's no way the stats will remain that without choosing MA once it launches.

Player 1 + Player 2

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 18, 2015
It says it has more damage than the Krovel (help me get that stupid o right) in the trader pod menu
Also it is weird to main an off-perk weapon, you using a weapon for most of the time and don't get any bonuses for it.