• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Kar98 non-hooded sights screenshots

My kar98 is lvl 26 but I still don't have the sight hood taken off :(

8FDC004E5F4F8DF7A25CDF49EF747118EB6DC1A6

Upvote 0
Did you just make that up, or where did you read, see, or hear that from? Not trying to be a jerk, but it sounds a bit far fetched seeing that I've lost two sight hoods on my k98 already... They're actually somewhat simple to take off. There's two grooves in the sight block that allow a sight hood to be taken on and off.

I actually prefer the sight hood, as I feel it helps me focus on my target in game as in real life too. Now a G98, thats a different story...

If youve lost two sight hoods already youre probably buying/using reproduction hoods. Reproduction hoods are crap, theyre easy to take on and off, flimsy as hell. A real german ww2 hood is thick and strong, they simply DO NOT get "lost" and are NOT easy to take off, you need pliars to put the damn things on and off.

All you people claming the sight hood is an upgrade, and "it makes it easier to aim" are on drugs. The germans put them on their rifles starting in 1941 for one reason only, TO PROTECT THE FRONT SIGHT. NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS. They put them on to REPLACE THESE:
GermanK98HingedMuzzCover.JPG

That front sight/muzzle protector was used on all K98s made from 1934 through 1940. These were put on/used in non combat situations, and had to be taken off before entering a combat situation. Well, sometimes a non combat situation would turn into a combat situation without warning, you had to take this protector OFF before you could engage the enemy. NOT A GOOD THING. Also when this protector was removed...it left the front side base/blade exposed to potential damage. SOOOOO...the site HOOD was designed & Implimented along with the rubber muzzle cap to keep snow, dirt out of the barrels.

Why did they take the sight HOODS off!? 2 reasons: The hood would compact with snow in winter enviroments in non combat situtations, but if that non combat situation turned into a combat situation suddenly they would be screwed...same negative effect as the muzzle/sight protector.

Second, personal preference. Some vets that learned to shoot without them didnt like them, some did. Some vets fought through Poland, France, North Africa, Italy, Russia without one, so some were not used to shooting with one.

Keep in mind the only time a vet that served before 1941 would have a K98 with a hood is if A) his pre 41 k98 was modified to have one if his rifle was turned in for repairs. B) he was issued a newer rifle due to loss, damage or unit change.

I quote text from Backbone of the Wehrmacht the German K98k rifle 1934-1945 page 141:

Introduction of the Front Sight Hood

"In early December, 1939 the Heeres Verordnungsblatt announced the introduction of a front sight hood for the K98k. This device, along with an issue of four rubber muzzle caps per rifle, would replace the flip-up muzzle/front site cover then in use. Aside from being cheaper to produce, the new hood-and-cap combination offered several advantages over the earlier metal cover: the blade of the front sight was protected at all times, as it was visable even with the hood attached and the rifle could be fired with a muzzle cap in place, even though the cap would be distroyed in the process.
Although the procedure for cutting groobes in the sight base for mounting the hood was easily within the capabilities of company-level armourers, no such authorization was ever given. Rifles already manufactored and in the field were ordered machined only if and when they were turned in to base workshops for repairs, and consequencely K98ks without the front site hoods were in use right up untill the last days of the war."​

Last edited:
Reactions: PRAPOR and Spindle
Upvote 0
If youve lost two sight hoods already youre probably buying/using reproduction hoods. Reproduction hoods are crap, theyre easy to take on and off, flimsy as hell. A real german ww2 hood is thick and strong, they simply DO NOT get "lost" and are NOT easy to take off, you need pliars to put the damn things on and off.

My point was that you don't have to "sand" "grind" or "cut" them off... My first sight hood was an original I know for sure. I took it off once, and never wanted to take it off again. I still don't know how it fell off, I just noticed it missing one day and bought a new one which unfortunately did come off pretty easy. So yeah it DID get "lost" and I DID put it back on correctly!

Upvote 0
Did you just make that up, or where did you read, see, or hear that from? Not trying to be a jerk, but it sounds a bit far fetched seeing that I've lost two sight hoods on my k98 already... They're actually somewhat simple to take off. There's two grooves in the sight block that allow a sight hood to be taken on and off.

I actually prefer the sight hood, as I feel it helps me focus on my target in game as in real life too. Now a G98, thats a different story...

Guys at a local gun shop actually.

My k98 never had a hood, so I wouldn't know how easy it was to take off.

Upvote 0
Sighthood blows in real-life imo. Glad to see it off as an option please.

Although i'm probably not the only person who would prefer to spawn with a random condition gun rather than the same one everytime. But i don't care about levelling up or whatevers.

I never cared for hooded sights, either ... just makes sighting more of a chore. It's a simple thing to lock the front blade onto a target properly. Add the hood, and sometimes you find your brain trying to process too much, trying to center everything in the circle, when it's not necessary.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I magically got myself to like lvl 90 or whatever i dont know how and i unlocked everything which is pissing me off, i chose the k98 and noticed mine was like this as well and left the game right away, i dont ever want my hood shaved, i liked it... :(

and i dont ever want to play with dual mp 40 mags or a drum barrel on my ppsh, i dont want these unlocks...

Upvote 0

That probably happened cause you had repro hoods...the real ones are expensive and are very strong and stay on. I have owned numerous K98's...could go either way on the hood. Oh....You can get them off with piece of wood, or rubber mallet. Just wack...and its off. :)

Upvote 0
what is the winter trigger guard? what does it do?

that was a little device that was placed into triggerguard area(kinda like those locks), and there was a lever under the triggerguard that you used to fire the weapon. Its purpose was so the weapon could be fired with gloves on. These if found(REAL), are very expensive pieces...most are repros out there. Wish had picture could post, but sadly I do not own one of these

Upvote 0
FWIW, my experience re-enacting and running around with a K98 most of the time, I've taken the sight hoods off of all my K98's. That thing will snag on any piece of field gear, branches, etc. It's really a major PITA. It makes sense that a lot of green troops issued new K98's with the sight hoods from the factory would pull them out.

Upvote 0
I think its odd that as you level up your uniform is supposed to get more ragged an worn down. But your weapon for some reason becomes newer condition? Seems like they got it backwards.

All this stuff should be selectable honestly. Uninform condition, Weapon condition, an unlocks once you have them.

Upvote 0
No it doesn't, I think it's a bug. Still says unlocked at level 25 and my Karabiner 98K is level 48.

....yeah, because you unlock it at level 50... what i was saying is that the stat page makes you think you unlock the non-hooded sights at level 25 by reading "next upgrades [level 25]: non-hooded sights" when what it means is "you will unlock stuff in sequences of 25 levels and the next upgrade is non-hooded sights".

Oh and i just found out that the MKB's scope unlock is THE SAME AS THE DREADED G41 SCOPE, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH. Some dude had it in the server i was in a minute ago, followed him around till he died and when i picked it up and aimed through it i was like "F*ck you G41, f*ck you". Seriously, it zooms in like a whore and is smaller than a dwarf's cock, how are we meant to aim with that sh*t!? AND TO PUT IT ON MY BELOVED MKB??? >:[ They realllllyyy need to make the unlocks optional, cause i feel sorry for that guy who unlocked it...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
....yeah, because you unlock it at level 50... what i was saying is that the stat page makes you think you unlock the non-hooded sights at level 25 by reading "next upgrades [level 25]: non-hooded sights" when what it means is "you will unlock stuff in sequences of 25 levels and the next upgrade is non-hooded sights".

Or simpler typo is that instead of level 25, they meant 50 :p

Oh and i just found out that the MKB's scope unlock is THE SAME AS THE DREADED G41 SCOPE, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH.
lol so it is true, MKBs will kill itself in the long term :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0