• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Kar98 non-hooded sights screenshots

Have you ever fired a gun? There is a reason why sighthoods exists, there was a reason why K98's got them. They vastly reduce glare and make aiming so much easier.

I have shot many guns. Although they do reduce glare from the right angle, their main function is to protect the front sight from damage. You can also reduce glare by rubbing a bit of soot/graphite on them or using a lighter.
Gewehr 98.MPG - YouTube
Shooting AK47.MPG - YouTube
chris shooting! - YouTube

In my opinion the sight hood messes with how well i can see a target, and i do not like it. It's a personal preference, and i'm sure that some German soldiers would have felt the same. Vet or not.

All K98's made before 1941 have no sight hood either 'field mod' or not.

And yes I own a K98. 2 even. My sight hood is already unlocked :p
jahxu.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tovarish_Vassili
Upvote 0
Yo, lots of people were confused or interested in the removal of the hooded sights on the kar98 and i just leveled up to 50 (partly thanks to the messed up stats lululul) so here it is:

rogame2011-09-2318-09-42-78.jpg

Uncool, I like the shroud on the bolts. In the game it acts kind of like a reflex sight, since the gun is always properly aligned.

Upvote 0
Navigate to:

C:\Users\(user name)\Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Config

Open the 'ROEngine' .ini file with Notepad or whatever then hit Ctrl+F and search for "depthoffield" without the quotes, then change "Depthoffield=True" to "Depthoffield=False" and hit save. :IS2:
From that file you can also change a few other graphical options such as motion blur and shadow resolution, they're all in there!

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I turned that off but I think it's still there. I'll have to check...

WPwU8.png

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkestEvil
Upvote 0
Thanks. I'm pretty sure I turned that off but I think it's still there. I'll have to check...

Lol! Anyway uhh yeah, try instead going into /Documents/Games/UnrealEngine3/ROGame/Config and doing the same thing to the ROEngine file there. I'm not sure why this worked for me the 1st time i turned off depthoffield (i have had to do it a couple of times after trying various other tweaks involving deleting this .ini) but...bleha i dun even know, just try it and it will probably work, if not there must have been a mistake somewhere so go over everything again! :eek:

Upvote 0
Some soldiers actually removed the sight hood themselves by cutting and sanding it.

Better target acquisition maybe...or maybe they were old vets who preferred the earlier models without the hood.

I highly doubt that being that the hoods were/are already removable and only clamp into place. You can remove them with a boot lace if you really want to.

Upvote 0
Some soldiers actually removed the sight hood themselves by cutting and sanding it.

Did you just make that up, or where did you read, see, or hear that from? Not trying to be a jerk, but it sounds a bit far fetched seeing that I've lost two sight hoods on my k98 already... They're actually somewhat simple to take off. There's two grooves in the sight block that allow a sight hood to be taken on and off.

I actually prefer the sight hood, as I feel it helps me focus on my target in game as in real life too. Now a G98, thats a different story...

Upvote 0