• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

K98's 23 points about Vietnam.....so far

K98-Schütze[GER]

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2012
My 23 points I actually wrote in the survey....
(please note, its just my opinion after around 20h RS2 on mostly and only 2 maps, but start to discuss, maybe you have good ideas too, the more, the better)

1.)
Performance issues when more players are online.

2.)
The respawn bug is terrible if you want to respawn via tunnel. Click, click, click....

3.)
On the city map CuChi I experienced it several times as defender: you are on the flank, A is taken by USA, C and B just in this moment and you can still run/survive somewhere to A. There I can shoot to the attacking US soldiers, which are attacking D and E.....supposed so?

4.)
Delete some graphical glitches.

5.)
Delete (!!!!!!!!!) the bug, where you are lay down your gun on the balcony of A at CuChi, but you still shoot the wall if you are crouched/on knees......and this is also on other maps and other obstackles, like normal ridges, hills, stones.
You often shot into the ground/wall olthough the barrel is graphical still over it!
Is there even some cover system?

6.)
Give the crew members and transported guys inside a helicopter a tiny % chance to survive a helicopter crash (each player off course). They could survive, bandaging.......I mean, a little rescue Gene Hackman feeling?

7.)
The graphic of the Napalm is toooo thin. Its not flowing and not feels like Napalm.

8.)
Thinking about to make Napalm less often possible, therefore it could burn "hotter" and longer. Realism about the Time over Target for jets as also the delaying time after it was called, could be increased a little.

9.)
Delay the Recon Helicopter and make it as a helicopter!

10.)
I hope you add some newer sounds to some of the guns and voices (japanese?)

11.)
The Machine Cannons of the AC-47 Spooky look and sound like little peanuts!
I have not the feeling that there the hell is impacting :(

12.)
Awesome with the Charakter customisation!
Maybe bring for each side (USMC/US-Army/NVPA/VietCong) 3x templates which you can save?
And overall, please bring more options (T-Shirts, more Camo, Tiger stripe & stuff) ;))

13.)
As radioguy I see the TL/Commander on the minimap as blue star. Great!
But he recognises me also as radioguy somewhere?
My commander could not find me as radioguy.....

14.)
The M113 is allready as static ingame. Make it possible! We dont need some overmodelled interieur (also great made with the tanks in RO2, but we know, you will not have time for it), just bring it like ARMA3. Black it out, or half model the interieur like in RO1.
Some of the vehicles would be great.
Jeeps, M113, may I even think about BTR152 and Sheridans?
Or only the M113.... :D

15.)
Is it only 1x times possible to bring down a trap?
Ok, I understand,.....at least the Scout on the vietnamese side should bring 2x of those tripwire traps at the same time.......keyword is assymetric warfare.

16.)
Ok, I understand the SAM on the vietnamese side.
But is there also a Manpad? A Strela-Guy?

17.)
The water is not behaving like water if anybody moves in, no waves and sound so far.

18.)
The TL, SL and Pilots should be able to mark "landing zones" on the minimap.

19.)
If I am not wrong, the AC-47 Spooky is some WW2 DC-3?

20.)
Delete please the informations on the screen, make it at least optional. I want to play without any sign on my screen. Also, if I get some information like "objective A is under attack", I want a sign optional. I want than this letters not in the middle of the screen, more on the most upper screen top please.
Also make it optional, that I can delete the voices "objective C is taken".

21.)
Make it for servers optional which game mode you might to play.
Make it also optional if you can respawn on SL's.

22.)
Think about to delete maybe the respawn possibility for the US at SL's.
They have the choppers.
If you can respawn on US SL's, than bring for the vietnamese side only 1 guy as Manpad (which should work against all air vessels, except F4, cause to fast to aim, cause to deep at attitude).

23.)
Game mode "search and destroy".....?
As this was the tactical attitude of the USA in Vietnam war, it would be nice to have somehow.
Maybe limit the tickets to some waves and deployment phases.

Good, that are the points I made up. Here some collection in short words.
Performance improvement, bug deleting, glitches deleting
....and gameplay wise....
M113, harder Napalm, harder Spooky, tiny chance to survive helicopter crash
vs.
Manpad Strela, 2x traps for scouts, improving the AK and the SKS in terms of punch and accuracy a little bit

What other users proposed in other threads and should implemented as well imo:
from exhausted

- VC units (NOT NVA) painted their weapons black and removed cleaning rods. The black paint should be optional
- Maps where air support isn't guaranteed: when rolling from map to map, there should be a *chance* that air support will/will not be available -- this keeps it interesting for the Communists
-F-4 Phantom strikes should be more realistic: you should occasionally hear them off in the distance as they would "circle" designated points while on call IRL, at the speed they are flying at (looks like 400 kts) the players should begin hearing them close many seconds before bomb release

from @skyrilla
- why doesn't the Army have a L.A.W.?
- I wouldn't mind friendly markers as long as they're in your immediate visual range. I wouldn't want markers thru walls or something.

from ValentinBk

-Pretty sure we'll have hardcore servers on launch. Would be great to remove kill confirmations too (make it optional)

from @nilsmoody
-Simple solution to avoid cluttering:
Make all Indicators a Hover-Effect. You just see the name if you hovered your aim above your teammate.

You point 14 on vehicles. M113 would be VARY straight forward to model fully. Its an incredibly simple vehicle. Totally not like the t34, t70, pz4 and 3 from RO2. Only issue is that unreal 3 is totally retarded hard on rigging tracked vehicles. If they ever do them, just go simple APC. Should be way less head ache. However that static mesh IMO is not up to it. I works fine sitting there doing nothing it will not work well if folks are riding it.

Your 22 I am think a GOOD idea. After playing NVA/VC a bunch I was not missing spawn on SL. In fact it seemed silly seeing the old beam in from space around the SL's. Maybe retire that and replace with something other. The chopper in is good as it would more force them to get used. But need BIGGER maps with more areas for them to land. They where too predictable and getting wasted right and left as landing zones where to close to objectives. But that might get worked out more if AH1 and OH6 work together with UH1 landing troops. SOmething I never saw in that beta. And back to point 14..... An M113 as a spawn point instead of beam down to SL's for US could work. After the spawn tunnels I think anything is better than the old spawn in on SL. Let the SL mark targets and be an SL. Right now I really like the NVA/VC digging spawn tunnel thing. It is way better than spawn on SL.

Upvote 0
Spawn on SL still isn't nearly as advantageous as spawning on a tunnel. Assymetric balancing the VC get better spawns. Helicopters are rather obvious and very risky. Removing spawn on SL will greatly tip the balance into the Norths favour. Giving the US deployable spawn zones means the US are clones of the North and they get helicopters meaning the US can be even sneakier than the VC.

Also with the spawn bug thing you don't need to click ok over and over again. Just make sure you have deploy automatically selected and you will spawn even with the window still up.

Bullets hitting the cover in front of you. In pretty much all FPS games including RO1 and RO2 bullets fire from your sights. Rather than the barrel. In RS2 bullets this time fire from the barrel itself. So if the guns barrel isn't abive the cover but the sights are you're going to be shooting the sandbags in front of you.

SLs can already Mark LZ's

Fire support doesn't always come if you try calling it in with active SAMs.

The spooky which is an armed C-47 has 3 7.62 miniguns. So not the biggest guns on it.

People in helicopters can already survive quite big impacts and yes they do take damage in hard impacts even if they don't die. To die in a crash the helicopter has to be falling pretty fast. If the helicopter explodes it means it was going really fast at the ground. No way you are going to survive any of that where simply bandaging would get you combat ready.

Upvote 0
Flashburn

Yeah, larger maps would be great. We could get more distances between the objectives (looking to Song Be).
Choppers and Tunnels would get a really meaning.
Alone if this would be implemented, we would have getting a really "search & destroy" Vietnam feeling.

Lemonater47
Agree on your analyses on the current spawn system.

I dont mean where the bullets are coming from, but if the barrel is over the obstacle and you still shoot invisible walls, than something is wrong.
Also little hills, ridges, tables and rocks have the same issue.
This must be fixed.

Oh yeah, you are right, til now I misschanged the planes in my mind. I thought it would be that C-130 with the guns. Ok, ....still it sounds little weak, also the visualisation seems so for me.

Upvote 0
US side had tons of advance like 4 strike commander abilities , one dual minigun heli , one attack heli , and 3 uh-1 with dual m60 . better weapon . i don't think giving them Spawn on SL is the good ideal . US force fire powers are the best but their weakness is can't deploy tons of troops and deploy fast to the battlefield . that is the historically accurate in vietnam war
if US get Spawn on SL then how about PAVN get BM-21 rockets barrage commander ability . and NLF get the unique resupply tunnel (special tunnel deploy by commander to resupply ammo and medical bandages) ?
all that things are historically accurate in vietnam war too

Last edited:
Upvote 0
SeptemberSnow;n2279367 said:
US side had tons of advance like 4 strike commander abilities , one dual minigun heli , one attack heli , and 3 uh-1 with dual m60 . better weapon . i don't think giving them Spawn on SL is the good ideal . US force fire powers are the best but their weakness is can't deploy tons of troops and deploy fast to the battlefield . that is the historically accurate in vietnam war
if US get Spawn on SL then how about PAVN get BM-21 rockets barrage commander ability . and NLF get the unique resupply tunnel (special tunnel deploy by commander to resupply ammo and medical bandages) ?
all that things are historically accurate in vietnam war too

PAVN do get a rocket strike ability. Which is the largest artillery strike in the game and includes incendiary rockets in its salvo's

Along with SAMs which will shoot down anything above 75m.

A commander ability that gives the North side half respawn times.

Commander Ambush spawn which replaces force spawn. This will spawn all dead players on the commanders current location.

Then there's tunnels which give them an extreme advantage. It extremely disrupts the americans and has many times made the americans lose much of their territory extremely fast. In TE mode the tunnels the tunnels make it harder for the Americans to Attack objectives since the defenders can spawn rather close or even in front of the cap zones.

The americans need far more coordination to win than the NVA. SLs are more unreliable than tunnels. Helicopters are obvious and only have 6 passengers so can carry 1 squad. Not to mention you need 4 good pilots to be effective. The american commander relies heavily on his squad leaders for marks and is more radiobound than he was before in RO2 and more radiobound than the NVA commander.

The Americans do not have an advantage. Both teams have an even share of winning and losing in this game currently.

Upvote 0