• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Just wanted to say some things

Ilpalazzo

Mar 14, 2006
Well, I have tried the free week. It had been so good that I will be buying this game. Before I forget them, I want to start by saying what I don't like about RO (or just things that bothered me somewhat). I am not bashing the game in anyway. Just asking and commenting on things I didn't like.

First and foremost I couldn't help but notice the stiff robot-like walking animations. I honestly want to know what that's about. Are they still being worked on? Not trying to be mean, I guess they are just hard to do very well.

I may not be much of a history buff, neither am I a weapons expert, but are the grenades supposed to have such small blast radius/killing range? I thought they were fragmentation grenades, does that not mean they send little fragments everywhere? I suppose they aren't then, but still did those nades historically have such a small blast? I keep thinking how silly it is that I just run a few feet away and I am safe. I still use them effectively but it really bugs me. So are the grenades realistic or just a game balance?

Now this complaint I am just going to call, 'the weirdness'. This is when I die for no apparent reason. I say this because often I find myself just die with no mention on the kill list and in situations where nobody could have possibly shot, exploded, or hit me. I have just been guessing this is a lag death, happens to me in other games too, just that I don't notice any lag when this happens in RO. Another thing about the weirdness is when I try to bash somebody with my gun and it somehow winds up killing me. As though the gun bounced off my enemy and lethally smacked me back. Not sure but that seems to happen most when I am trying to bash somebody who is prone. Many times this has killed the thrill of sneaking up and owning somebody. So often in fact that I try to avoid this and simply shoot them. I want to note that this doesn't seem to happen if I am using a bayonet.

I was going to complain about the recoil of the smg weapons, but after playing more I realized that they only seem to be effective (for me anyway?) when I am either crouched or prone and of course doing bursts. Does standing really have that much of an effect on these guns? When standing I really can't fire more than 1 accurate shot at a time. Just wanted to know if this is realistic recoil or some sort of game balancing.

A minor thing that bothered me was the ability to scroll the mouse to change the view in a vehicle (like looking out of the hatch). I had to ask how to do this and when I finally got an answer it made the tank part of the game that much easier for me. That's not actually what bothered me. What bothered me was that I looked through the controls in the options and saw no such option. Maybe I am blind but I honestly do not see it anywhere in there.

Hmm thought I had more bad things to say....Well that's all I can think of right now. There are so many good generic things to say about the game, but I wont waste my fingers as you all know them :) Just know that I really like this game and will be getting it. Also, great move with the free trial. The reason I hadn't bought the game yet was because I was waiting for a demo (wanted to make sure it wasn't bad you know :p).

I guess I will add more to this if I can think of anything. I am real tired. It's 9:45 am and I had been playing RO for around 6 hours (couldn't sleep). Would be nice to hear answers or comments about my questions/comments. Just don't give me any attitude. Like I said, I am not trying to be mean.

edit. LoL I can't seem to indent the blocks of words here. What's up with that?

PS: Through this, my first week of RO. I am pleased to say that I have only gotten 1 teamkill. Total accident, I threw a nade and I guess my teammate felt like running in to try and bash the guy I was nading. I thought I was going to kill so many teammates because the lack of indication. However I simply didn't shoot if I wasn't sure. I bet some enemies got away because of that though.

Last edited:
I honestly have no problem with the walking animations, but people differ. Gameplay over graphics any day! :)

The russian grenade is a fragmentation grenade, while the german is concussion. You can run a "few feet" and maybe not die, or you can take cover on the other side of a wall or in a shell crater.

If you die with a skull and crossbones in front of your name, you went into a section of the map that the mapper put a minefield in. These include the edges of the map, and the other teams spawn area. If you died with a mushroom cloud in front of your name, you were hit with random arty. Also some servers play with death messages off.

Upvote 0
Yes I know those things but still I sometimes die for no apparent reason. Skull and crossbones when I am just walking or standing in a normal area.

edit. So you say the russian one is a frag, is it being worked on in a patch or something? Or is it just to balance with the german grenade? It seems to work exactly like the german one to me...

Upvote 0
I have had messages disappear as well and have played on servers with deathmessages off. I don't mind the odd missing message but I don't like when they are all off. Nothing to do with the realism of some phantom typing telling you if you shot a guy, but I like the competitiveness it brings out when you finally find and dig out a VERY hard to get rifleman or something and you get to take credit for it or vice versa...I like to say "nice shot" or "nice nade" when it's a real good skill shot. I also like to see when I"m being shot by teamates or if I'm accidentally shooting teamates so I can say sorry.

Upvote 0
The Russian grenades are currently modelled as fragmentation (as they should be). So when you get further, you get a lower chance of getting hit by shrapnel*. But it also means, you could get hit 20 feet by shrapnel if you're very unlucky.

*Modelling the expanding shrapnel as a sphere, the density and hence chance of shrapnel hitting you lowers 4 fold for each doubling of distance from the grenade. I don't know if this is how it's modelled in RO, though.

Upvote 0
Mormegil said:
The Russian grenades are currently modelled as fragmentation (as they should be). So when you get further, you get a lower chance of getting hit by shrapnel*. But it also means, you could get hit 20 feet by shrapnel if you're very unlucky.

*Modelling the expanding shrapnel as a sphere, the density and hence chance of shrapnel hitting you lowers 4 fold for each doubling of distance from the grenade. I don't know if this is how it's modelled in RO, though.

I've never been hit by shapnel :eek: a shrapnel hitting you would be able to do a grazing would right? like a bullet? :p

Upvote 0
Now this complaint I am just going to call, 'the weirdness'. This is when I die for no apparent reason. I say this because often I find myself just die with no mention on the kill list and in situations where nobody could have possibly shot, exploded, or hit me.

My understanding of this is that is a ricochet kill. The bullets in RO bounce off objects and can and will bounce back and kill someone, but the death doesn't show up on the scoreboard nor does anyone get any points for it.

I see this most often when going up against a MG placement, even though I may be out of the direct line of fire I've had them bounce off spots close to me and take me out.

As for the rifle butt incident, well that is a weird one, maybe the devs can explain it or maybe some errant bullet was whizing past and caught you unawares :)

Upvote 0
slyder73 said:
I have had messages disappear as well and have played on servers with deathmessages off. I don't mind the odd missing message but I don't like when they are all off. Nothing to do with the realism of some phantom typing telling you if you shot a guy, but I like the competitiveness it brings out when you finally find and dig out a VERY hard to get rifleman or something and you get to take credit for it or vice versa...I like to say "nice shot" or "nice nade" when it's a real good skill shot. I also like to see when I"m being shot by teamates or if I'm accidentally shooting teamates so I can say sorry.

I believe that even with deathmessages off, you will see in the lower left text when you're hurting or killing friendlies. "Sprudel hurt a teammate. Sprudel killed a teammate", and so forth.

I like Death Messages being off, but I prefer the setting that has them off in general but that you do at least get to see who killed you.

Upvote 0