• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Just for the record...

[CoR]MiccyNarc

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
I recently read a thread about someone emptying a clip into someone close range and them not dying.

The phenomena you were experiencing is called "spawn protection". It happens when shoot a teammate in spawn.

It's rather fun actually to turn someone completely red without them actually being injured.

Which was exactly my experience... multiple times. I snuck up behind a deployed MG on Odessa.. prone, ironsites, 2 shots in the middle of the back and nothing. He pulls out pistol, turns around and shoots me.

On sandbags on Konig, both of us crouched and resting on them. I'm 10 feet from him, he doesn't see me. 2 shots, perfectly aimed. Nothing. He turns and shoots, I'm dead.

I've played FPS games for way too long and quite frankly I'm good enough to know when something is amiss.

99% of the time the accuracy and hit detection is fine.

Upvote 0
Sometimes I think I am hitting them as I too am a long time FPS gamer, but then I realize that the little puffs of dirt kicking up around them mean I'm actually not and I recenter and hit them. It's really jumpy and I can't say that I like it as much as the "beam" in games like CS:S but the difficulty adds a new level of fun not seen in those games.

Can't really compare them as has been debated endlessly here anyway

Upvote 0
Darkseed said:
I had it happen to me recently, I had a ppd40 on stalingradkessel and I was in proned position while resting my gun when a german appeared about 3-4 meters in front of me. I unloaded half my magazine straight into his chest before he fired one shot and killed me, I had a low ping too so I doubt it was lag.

same for me...very disturbing. :(

Upvote 0
I experienced somethign like this once where myself and a team-mate were pelting an enemy. Each reloaded and fireed into the guy again and again only to be killed by his friend.

The target was moving a bit, but kind of stuttering a bit so I wrote it off to that person (the target) having connectivity/ping issues which the server couldn't handle.

While you were shooting these invulnerable folks - did they move and act as normal? It's also possible that some debris or the ground was blocking your shots?

Upvote 0
Darkseed said:
I had it happen to me recently, I had a ppd40 on stalingradkessel and I was in proned position while resting my gun when a german appeared about 3-4 meters in front of me. I unloaded half my magazine straight into his chest before he fired one shot and killed me, I had a low ping too so I doubt it was lag.

Same thing happened to me with the same weapon on the same map.

Upvote 0
y2kill said:
Which was exactly my experience... multiple times. I snuck up behind a deployed MG on Odessa.. prone, ironsites, 2 shots in the middle of the back and nothing. He pulls out pistol, turns around and shoots me.

On sandbags on Konig, both of us crouched and resting on them. I'm 10 feet from him, he doesn't see me. 2 shots, perfectly aimed. Nothing. He turns and shoots, I'm dead.

I've played FPS games for way too long and quite frankly I'm good enough to know when something is amiss.

99% of the time the accuracy and hit detection is fine.

Ditto. Rather annoying...

Upvote 0
[CoR]MiccyNarc said:
The phenomena you were experiencing is called "spawn protection". It happens when shoot a teammate in spawn.

Sorry MiccyNarc, but you're it may be spawn protection for some but not for my circumstances.

I have literally crawled up behind the enemy in open play, shot him in the back several times with my autorifle at point blank range, using iron sites...

... the result was him turning around whilst I'm reloading and shooting me in the head with pistol.

We were nowhere near the spawn either.

Hasn't detracted from the game though, I just try not to get as close, unless I'm sticking them with the bayonet!

Upvote 0
Is it possible to be too close to your target.
Meaning the end your weapon is "through" the other player.
I have seen guns protruding thru walls and doors,
so that makes me think this is possible.

OR
If your ping and connection are rock solid , but your target
is not good ping - could that effect the situation?

Upvote 0