• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Just brought my first rifle home.

The vast majority of Garand receivers were made during WWII. When Korea heated up more were made, but very few in comparison with the ones from WWII. If you see one made by Winchester you can be sure it is WWII vintage, at least where the receiver is concerned. Harrington & Richardson and International Harverster produced Garands for Korea and after. All this is from memory, of course, as my Hoffschmidt book ('Know Your M-1 Garand Rifles M-1, M-1C, M-1D' by E.J. Hoffschmidt) is in storage along with all my other reference material.

I highly recommend that book for anyone who owns or has an interest in the Garand. It contains the complete history of the rifle, from initial design and testing to the successor, the M-14. Complete serial number allotments by manufacturer and allotment date can help you determine when the rifle was made.

Dammit, I miss my Garand.

Upvote 0
[CiA]Stiletto said:
Lucky SOB. I want a Russian SKS. :(

BTW, lean into the "recoil". It doesn't really kick (won't hurt you or anything, unless you're a dumbass and let the thing float an inch off of your shoulder), but it will push you back. I tried rapid-firing the first time holding my SKS like that (that's my customary stance for firing a Mauser, since I prefer not to try to fight 8mm recoil :p), and by shot #5, I was teetering on my back foot. You want to have a stance more like this:

cara_UY9O8793.jpg

Maybe its because I'm getting old but I have studied this picture for ages and for the life of me cannot see a weapon!:p

Oh hold on I spotted the pistol in her boot! (after another hour looking)

Upvote 0