• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

jeremy's new mod

Yes! Why the **** do all these games feature MILLED recievers?

I blame tokyo mauri

Well, for once this is one mod that actually should have the AK-47 with its milled reciver.

Thing is, AKM (stamped reciver) replaced the 47 in 1961, so by the time Vietnam kicks off and Russia and China are giving the North vietnamese AK's, they are giving them their old stockpiles of 47's, and T56'es with Milled recivers, since they didn't want them anymore.

So Vietnam should have AK's with milled recivers.

But i too blame Tokyo Marui for seeing 47's in so many mods, hell, i have even seen some where the skin on the pickup and 3'rd person model had the "Made In Japan, Tokyo Marui CO. LTD." trademark written over the pistol grip! :D

EDIT: But the AK they have on display there is probably a poor choice for Vietnam, it is the second production model, with all Milled reciver, but still with the 2-piece pistol grip and slab-sided mags, not all that many where made, and even back then they would be old and worn out, you would probably see many more third production model AK's, the (at that time) recently retired ones, with the 1-piece pistol grip, and the better knows mags with "lines" down the sides.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Everything looks good, except for the "cover-based" thing. Guess what? There's cover-based gameplay in RO. Sure, you don't have to push a button to get behind cover, but if you don't find some cover and get in behind it you don't stand a chance.

My system's been acting weird lately, and didn't run INS at any decent framerate, so I'll have to wait a few weeks before I can fairly judge it, but it didn't feel right.

Upvote 0
BiA is a game. Not a simulator. In the same way that chess is a game and not a simulator. I know what the back of the package and that military dude in the unlockable videos say, but everyone with eyes and a brain knows that its all bollocks and the game is a game. If you see the cover system as an innovative gameplay-mechanic, it works great. If you see it as something that tries to portray something realistic, it fails horribly, of course.

That mod would have been interesting to see. The INS team know how to create good looking models and environments. A jungle setting as opposed to a city setting is also less prone to "choke points" in the maps. Apart from all that, vietnam is, at least to me, more interesting than a modern warfare setting.

Upvote 0
BiA is a game. Not a simulator. In the same way that chess is a game and not a simulator. I know what the back of the package and that military dude in the unlockable videos say, but everyone with eyes and a brain knows that its all bollocks and the game is a game. If you see the cover system as an innovative gameplay-mechanic, it works great. If you see it as something that tries to portray something realistic, it fails horribly, of course.
True, but a game is much more fun if it isn't over-complicated.

The best gameplay is intu

Upvote 0
Can't say BiA had complicated controls to be honest...
Standard shooter controls plus one button context sensitive squad controls.
It takes a bit to figure out how safe exactly you are behind cover, but that's due to the arcadey nature of that feature. You don't have a real reference for that since its only in BiA and nowhere else. Once you get it its great though. It turns the game into some sort of ww2 puzzle game with shooter elements, so to speak. I often had the feeling of playing a real-time tactics game where I had to control one unit in first-person, rather than playing a shooter with squad controls.

On the other hand I never found RO to have complicated controls either. Its also standard shooter fare in my opinion. Extra functions, not found in regular shooters, have their extra buttons then (e.g. barrel change). Just memorize those and you are fine. The game is very playable without those extra functions too, so you aren't screwed if you don't know them at first.

Operation Flashpoint - now, those are complicated controls!
Ever tried to simply shoot out of a window?;)

Upvote 0