• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Jackknives

For example, certain blades have a groove running over the blade from tip to base...this is to allow blood from a wound to exit.
Actually that's a myth. Having a groove like that along the blade is to strengthen and stiffen the blade. Compare a solid iron bar with width X with an iron I-beam of the same width. The I-beam is the strongest, same principle for blades.

Upvote 0
Hey, thanks ImNotRyan. I appreciate it. :) I did go to a knife store and ask, and yes, I do have to be 18 to purchase any knife, and yes, balisongs are illegal in Maine. Alas. :(

However my dad did actually agree to buy the knife for me online if I'll pay for it (I will), which is pretty much awesome. I won't lie, I only want a balisong because it's damn cool to have that skill to use one properly. When I'm older, it may be invaluable, you never know. For a general purpose knife, I already ordered a small 1 1/2" jackknife that has a keyring on it, so if I need to cut something for work, I'm all set. It's a pretty sharp knife, it can cut a metal can in half pretty easily. Anyways, thank you very much for your help. :D

Upvote 0
Really, a balisong isn't a bad knife.

It's locking mechanism is one of the best there is - YOUR HAND. That is, it can't accidentally close so long as you are holding it. In addition many have a latch.

They bring their own sheath with them wherever they go, so long as they have a latch to hold themselves closed.

Most are double edged, which means that you can get alot more done before needing to sharpen them.

As a survival or utility knife I think those points make them pretty valuable. As a combat knife they do well enough, but for all the cool looks and tricks, the blade is a bit slower to deploy than many other knives, especially fixed blades. lol

As with any knife it depends on the quality of the individual piece, a Spyderco version is a hell of a knife, a cheap Pakistani knockoff will give you what you pay for.

Upvote 0
Actually that's a myth. Having a groove like that along the blade is to strengthen and stiffen the blade. Compare a solid iron bar with width X with an iron I-beam of the same width. The I-beam is the strongest, same principle for blades.
Not quite a myth...they made sure the strengthening works like a double-edged sword (or knife, in this case lol). :D

Upvote 0
Not quite a myth...they made sure the strengthening works like a double-edged sword (or knife, in this case lol). :D
I'm saying it being for letting blood run out of the wound is a myth, the strengthening bit is quite true indeed. And weight saving, well, it's not all that much material which is left out, but every gram helps I guess =).

Upvote 0
I did go to a knife store and ask, and yes, I do have to be 18 to purchase any knife, and yes, balisongs are illegal in Maine.

Yeah shame somebody didn't tell you that before you wasted your time, I was going to tell you that after reading the first few posts. If you gotta be over 18 to buy a freakin airsoft gun, then you surely gotta be over 18 to buy something that's actually deadly. Being in a blue New England state doesn't really help either. Maybe you could drive to another state or Canada if either of those are close?

Upvote 0
Funny thing about Maine, though. Their concealed firearms permit? Well, the way that state law defines 'firearms' is pretty all-inclusive. If you can legally own it, and you've got a CCW, you can carry it, so long as you can conceal it.

So, a few years back I went to visit some relatives in Maine. At the time, I had a Maine non-resident CCW. And I had a G3 with a combat sling. And I'm a pretty big guy, and I own a trenchcoat.

I'm sure y'all can do the math on this one ...

Upvote 0
Funny thing about Maine, though. Their concealed firearms permit? Well, the way that state law defines 'firearms' is pretty all-inclusive. If you can legally own it, and you've got a CCW, you can carry it, so long as you can conceal it.

So, a few years back I went to visit some relatives in Maine. At the time, I had a Maine non-resident CCW. And I had a G3 with a combat sling. And I'm a pretty big guy, and I own a trenchcoat.

I'm sure y'all can do the math on this one ...

LOL this is just awful. A cop would probably freak and shoot you before you had a chance to explain! :D

Upvote 0
Concept of a balisong is pretty good, but in my experience most of the ones I've come across are made for tourist crap. Action isn't any good, metal rusts like mad, either too stiff or a little flimsy.

I did pick up a pretty good Chinese made one (Rostfrei on the blade) when I was in the Philippines a few years ago. It's all metal, doesn't rust and has great action. It's the exact same one that was being sold as a trainer by Jeff Imada (except the trainer was ground dull - I also have that).

Balisong are illegal to carry where I live in California - as they're considered concealed weapons under California Penal Code 653(k), I believe*. They're clasified as a switchblade or gravity knife - though you actually use inertia to open them - but lawyers don't know physics.

As a general tool, I'd find them impractical, as they tend to be pretty long, don't fit in the pocket well, and have no clip. For self defense, they're flashy, but take too long to deploy (and I'm pretty quick with it) - and are illegal to carry. Want to explain to a cop you were defending yourself with an illegal knife?

Personally, I usually carry a small locking folder - 2 3/4 inch SpyderCo Delica. I have a half serated and full serated blade. I like the serated blades as you don't need to really sharpen them often (or ever it seems) for them to keep cutting.

I'm usually opening a lot of boxes and packages at lab (sterile equipment requires a lot of disposable stuff - so lots of boxes). Also great as a camping knife - cuts rope well, thin branches (serated is no good for wittling, though). It's a great tool.

You could use it in a pinch for self defense, but running or giving a wallet is probably the safer idea. Nice thing about a short blade is, they're practically impossible to disarm. But you also have less reach.

It opens really quickly with a flick of the thumb, has a built in clip (new ones you can switch the clip to right or left carry). It folds down to 3" for a comfortable in pocket carry.

I've heard there are two kinds of people - those who carry knives and those who borrow them.

*California's "Dirk and Dagger" law (code 12020 (24) I think), defines any instrument that can be used for stabbing and causing great bodily injury a dirk or dagger. That was changed to allow LEO (law enforcement officers) to arrest gangbangers for carrying ice-picks and screw drivers. Unfortunately, the wording of the law could also apply to a sturdy pen - but I've never heard of anyone being arrested for carrying a pen.

Upvote 0
I'm mildly confused on the legality of carrying Balisong trainers- They're not real knives, are they? There is no sharp edge on it anywhere, could it be considered a blade? Wouldn't that just make it a hunk of metal that looks like a knife, making it totally legal?

Anyway I did order the balisong trainer I wanted, and I'm getting sort of quick with it. It's pretty fun. But I guess for actual practical use, I'll have to order a folder like Mormegil said. Sigh. :(

Upvote 0
Alright I did the legwork for you...

Looking at your statutes which are more of a pain than my home state's and without the benefit of packing.org - it sounds like the state of Maine is far harsher than usual on the subject.

While still allowing a concealed firearm with the appropriate amount of jumping through hoops - all manor of concealed knives are illegal. The law doesn't address private property so you may be able to conceal it while at work, I don't know. It does however allow hunting knives, only when being used for hunting, fishing, etc. Automatic knives and gravity assisted knives are illegal and it's actually considered trafficking of deadly weapons, which is a class D crime in Maine... Whatever a class D crime is? lol

It looks like at one point balisongs and double edged blades were illegal but the law has been amended or repealed. Thank god for common sense I guess?

Just don't leave the house with the thing.
I'm not saying people in Maine don't do it...
I wouldn't do it.
Sometimes (well all the time actually) I think law enforcement is conspiring to make citizens as unprotected as possible that way when some law abiding citizen gets attacked by some lunatic with a knife or gun the cops will have some work to do keeping them in business. We can't have citizens feeling secure on their own now can we?

And do NOT ask a cop. Officers do not know the law, and spread as much misinformation as anybody.
Comforting to know that the very people in charge of arresting people don't even know WTF is up with the laws. Sheesh

Upvote 0
Sometimes (well all the time actually) I think law enforcement is conspiring to make citizens as unprotected as possible that way when some law abiding citizen gets attacked by some lunatic with a knife or gun the cops will have some work to do keeping them in business. We can't have citizens feeling secure on their own now can we?

Comforting to know that the very people in charge of arresting people don't even know WTF is up with the laws. Sheesh

That's how it works. Seems to flow from Rousseau's idea that "men must be forced to be free" that is forced to play by the rules and fit the mold of society otherwise there are different ways of removing this "dangerous thinker" from the society. Not relying upon the institutions of the society to protect you is dangerous indeed...

After the Colombine high school shooting there was outrage and calls to end gun ownership in America. After the Virginia Tech shootings, the American public now seems to ask themselves: "Where were the police? Shouldn't the students have had a chance to protect themselves?" There will likely be a reversal of public opinion on concealed weapons and a return to a self defense mindset in the coming decade.

Upvote 0
Cops aren't trying to make people unprotected. They're pushing for their own survival. If guns / knives are less accessible, it's less likely they'll come across them in their job.

So it's like all controversies, it comes down to priorities. Your freedom or their survival. Which one do you think they'd pick.

I can sort of understand the people's attempt to limit guns, so they're either good for hunting, force or threat of force (including defensively). Unless you know anybody that opens boxes by shooting them.

A knife on the other hand has lots of other uses besides violence. Unfortunately, knives are often associated with thuggery.

Upvote 0