• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Jackknives

Zell

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Maine, USA
I'm looking to buy a decent jackknife that I can keep clipped to my pocket for easy use. I'll need it for my work, where I do construction and repair work, and a knife that's easy to get would be really handy. I'm really looking specifically for a jackknife, does anyone happen to have a decent one that they got for under $100 that I might look at? Any sites or catalogs I should look for? Thanks. :)

Allright...I thought because it's for work, it needs some extra tools.

If you just need a single blade, then the best advice is to go to a store, and actually take the knife in your hand.
There's a huge choice in blades, for every price, but in the end it comes down to how the grip fits your hand.
That's why it's better not to order one online.

That Victorinox-knife can be opened with 1 hand...might be usefull, at work.
They have belt-pouches that can be attached to your pocket too:

collage0520_3_g.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not sure...I my country, it depends on the type of blade you're carrying.
For example, certain blades have a groove running over the blade from tip to base...this is to allow blood from a wound to exit.
This type of blade is forbidden in the Netherlands, I think.

One thing is sure, though...a Victorinox always looks like a jackknife, rather than a murder-weapon.

Upvote 0
I'm looking to buy a decent jackknife that I can keep clipped to my pocket for easy use. I'll need it for my work, where I do construction and repair work, and a knife that's easy to get would be really handy. I'm really looking specifically for a jackknife, does anyone happen to have a decent one that they got for under $100 that I might look at? Any sites or catalogs I should look for? Thanks. :)

You know, that site that has the Beretta knives on it that's posted here? Check out the Ka Bar and Smith & Wesson tactical folders as well. I've got one of each, and I love 'em. Got mine at Big 5.

Upvote 0
Whoa, those are really cheap. Thanks for pointing them out. :D I personally really like the one I linked to, but it's pretty expensive.

What are some stores that commonly sell these knives? Like, what name brand stores that would allow a 17 year old to walk in and try them? :[

I bought mine both at Big 5. I don't know where you live, though, so I don't know if there's a Big 5 anywhere near you.

The S&W and Ka-Bar folders are both great knives, though. I wouldn't trade 'em for anything short of a Cold Steel Voyager or something. They both hold a great edge on them. My S&W is one of the Extreme Ops ones with a semi-tanto blade and a Titanium Nitride finish. It's fantastic.

Also, both the S&W and the Ka Bar have lifetime warrantees on them, so I wouldn't be too worried about the quality.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=SWCKG103BS

That's the Smith I've got. It's the knife I'd recommend most highly out of any i've seen / owned / used, short of (like I mentioned earlier) a Cold Steel Voyager.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In fact, if a blade can be blocked, has a small steel thingy between blade and your hand (I don't know how it is called in English, it's made so that your hand wouldn't slip onto the blade), the blade is longer than 8 cm, iirc, has a groove on the blade for blood or one of the blade's sides is shaped as a saw, the blade automatically is being regarded as a cold weapon. Plus butterfly knives are cold weapons, however the hatchet isn't. :)

Better get yourself a hatchet. It's more handy too, if you're a maniac. ;)

Upvote 0
In fact, if a blade can be blocked, has a small steel thingy between blade and your hand (I don't know how it is called in English, it's made so that your hand wouldn't slip onto the blade), the blade is longer than 8 cm, iirc, has a groove on the blade for blood or one of the blade's sides is shaped as a saw, the blade automatically is being regarded as a cold weapon. Plus butterfly knives are cold weapons, however the hatchet isn't. :)

Better get yourself a hatchet. It's more handy too, if you're a maniac. ;)
In my trade we use Box-Making hatchets instead of hammers. I can chuck it pretty good and stick it in wood rafters. :D

These assisted opening lock-back knives are cool, and unlike a switchblade they are supposedly legal in all 50 States.
http://www.uscavalry.com/Productinfo.aspx?productID=8036&TabID=548

If you want a really good American pocketknife, get a Case Brothers knife or another good brand like the Hen & Rooster... I recommend the "FrankBuster"(made in Germany of course :)).

Those kind of knives are collectible, and gain value over the years if not abused.

Upvote 0
For work you'd be best served with one of those extremely old-school spine-locked case folding knives.

Do yourself a favor, at 17, don't consider the high dollar knives in the self defense category. Most states in the US and New England especially are alot less friendly for the carrying of knives than they are firearms. I'm not saying you can't, this or that..... But for your own sake look into it - the long arm of the law gets real ugly real fast over the most innocent of things.

Butterfly knives to my knowledge are illegal to conceal in all 50 states without the appropriate paperwork (which I have and is why I don't know the law for you)

Upvote 0
Alright I did the legwork for you...

Looking at your statutes which are more of a pain than my home state's and without the benefit of packing.org - it sounds like the state of Maine is far harsher than usual on the subject.

While still allowing a concealed firearm with the appropriate amount of jumping through hoops - all manor of concealed knives are illegal. The law doesn't address private property so you may be able to conceal it while at work, I don't know. It does however allow hunting knives, only when being used for hunting, fishing, etc. Automatic knives and gravity assisted knives are illegal and it's actually considered trafficking of deadly weapons, which is a class D crime in Maine... Whatever a class D crime is? lol

It looks like at one point balisongs and double edged blades were illegal but the law has been amended or repealed. Thank god for common sense I guess?

Just don't leave the house with the thing.
I'm not saying people in Maine don't do it...
I wouldn't do it.

And do NOT ask a cop. Officers do not know the law, and spread as much misinformation as anybody.

Upvote 0