• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

It's all about the FPS

For the original poster: Make sure you REALLY have "bloom" disabled (open console, type "bloom" in game).

Even though I disabled it in the video menu, it was still on in the actual game, and cost me 10 FPS out of my average 30. All other settings don't nearly matter as much as "bloom" when it comes to performance.

Otherwise, I don't quite understand why you get such a difference between infantry and tank maps, performance-wise. For me, they all run about the same - just Arad is slower because it got such a wide view distance.

Upvote 0
Same here as well.
I got P4 2.66 GHz, 768 MB ram, and GeForce 4200 Ti. It's like 4 or 5 yrs old.
I avg about 20-30 fps on infantry maps and 10-20 fps on tank maps. I think the reason is because tank maps are so damn big. But I think framerate only affects my game when it falls below 15 or so. Also, the screen resolution affects fps big time so try lowering it if anyone else's having trouble. I used to play the mod version at 1024x768 but had to lower it to 800x600 for ost just to achieve the same framerate.

Not bragging about it or anything but here's proof you can still play well with these settings even against some of the best players in the business:

set.jpg

scrimage.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Munk Polkadot said:
Same here as well.
I avg about 20-30 fps on infantry maps and 10-20 fps on tank maps. I think the reason is because tank maps are so damn big. But I think framerate only affects my game when it falls below 15 or so. Also, the screen resolution affects fps big time so try lowering it if anyone else's having trouble. I used to play the mod version at 1024x768 but had to lower it to 800x600 for ost just to achieve the same framerate.

Not bragging about it or anything but here's proof you can still play well with these settings even against some of the best players in the business:

set.jpg

scrimage.jpg

Some suggestions If I were you:
#1 lower "character detail" even more
#2 set "physics detail" to low
#3 set "dynamic mesh LOD" to high (It'll compensate a little bit for reducing the other "less vital" options)
#4 turn off "character shadows" they absolutely kill performance and aren't neccessary.
#5 uncheck "dynamic lighting" (trust me, you're not going to miss tracers casting a green light on the ground)
#6 check "trilinear filtering" it'll improve pic quality a little with very little penalty.

Upvote 0
Munk Polkadot said:
Same here as well.

This is strange.

I had an AMD 2000+, with only 512MB RAM, and a Geforce4 Ti4400. So basically not as good as your system, just a bit better graphics card (but not much).

With that system, I did play the mod with all graphics set to high or highest (basically the "holy ****" settings), at 1024x768 and 4xFSAA to smooth jaggies - and still had average 30 FPS. Rarely below 15.

Given that the retail is not much different from the mod, performance-wise, your system should run it much better than 800x600 at low details.

Upvote 0
Quietus said:
Some suggestions If I were you:
#1 lower "character detail" even more
#2 set "physics detail" to low
#3 set "dynamic mesh LOD" to high (It'll compensate a little bit for reducing the other "less vital" options)
#4 turn off "character shadows" they absolutely kill performance and aren't neccessary.
#5 uncheck "dynamic lighting" (trust me, you're not going to miss tracers casting a green light on the ground)
#6 check "trilinear filtering" it'll improve pic quality a little with very little penalty.

Thanks, I'll consider using some of your suggestions. I set character shadows to full because I heard its effect is minimal, but I don't think I ever used shadows as a way to find enemies in the next room. I think I'll keep dynamic lighting on as muzzle flashes are the only way to find some enemy sniper shooting at me from 300 meters away.

Helmut_AUT said:
Given that the retail is not much different from the mod, performance-wise, your system should run it much better than 800x600 at low details.

I haven't done much tinkering on my computer for a while (no defraging etc). Also, I haven't tried 1024x768 since I changed my ini file. I'll try it again soon and see if the framerate is better than last time.

Upvote 0
You also might want to try out the OpenGl setting. This should run a lot smoother on such an old card (had a 4400ti 128MB back in 2000-2001).
Even normal D3D is pretty demanding for that card.
32bit colour depth is also taxing and with some other detail settings turned up with 16bit colour depth should't be too straining on the eyes.

Upvote 0
Phoenix-D said:
OpenGL is *not* the software mode. Its a seperate renderer you have to enable with a command-line switch..that I can't remember offhand.

With software your CPU is doing most of the work actually. Its a throwback to the days when video cards were 2D only. :)
Oh rly? then what is this doing in the .ini?

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]

[Edit] I didn't look closely enough... You mean this one? PixoDrv.PixoRenderDevice [/edit]

Last edited:
Upvote 0