• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Issues With Server DLing Maps from Steam Workshop

I set up a server a while back, got maps DLing from the workshop to the server etc just fine. I updated my install, and added some new maps and it doesn't work anymore. Backed up the old server install and DL'd the server files again, set it all up again, and it still doesn't work. Deleted some cache and steamapp files and still doesn't work etc.

First time it's "Item state is 0." then afterwards it's "Item state is 8." and stays there with nothing DLing (I've left it over night so). Any ideas? The ports listed in the wiki are open so. It's on Ubuntu 18.04 that's up to date and the game server is up to date. I can connect to the server and play on it, it's just the server won't DL maps from the steam workshop.

I had a similar issue using gameservers.com...

My only solution was using Filezilla to upload the map files directly to my server's folder.

There was a lot of great help given to me, even specifics of how to resolve on gameserver.com's end, and they still couldn't do it.

If you can't figure out the cause of your problem, this may be an option for you as well. (although it's more of a pain in the butt..)

Upvote 0
khornate_berzerker;n2333469 said:
Do the maps ever update after you upload them though?

This is the #1 drawback to uploading the map files directly to your server. You risk mismatch errors if/when a map is updated.

If you're adding older maps that haven't been touched in a while it's usually a non-issue.

If an author is still actively updating their creation you need to kind of keep an eye on things to update the file when needed. Otherwise, you'll just find out the hard way when you try to cycle your server to the map lol.

Just a quick note, you still need to enable the workshop in your server settings. This will allow players joining the server to d/l the map. [this is where a mismatch error is possible, if your version of the map file is outdated in the server folders].

So basically, even though your server isn't downloading the maps on its own, still set up the config as if you're subscribing the server to each map. You ultimately end up doing double the work by doing this, but it's the only solution I had found when I was still running a server for KF2.

In case you need help with any settings just search for "workshop" in the wiki below.

https://wiki.killingfloor2.com/index.php?title=Dedicated_Server_(Killing_Floor_2)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0