• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Info] Is this a joke?

Robersdee

Jun 8, 2009
Seriously, guys this is ridiculous.

I'm not trolling or flaming etc etc but this is just a simple horrific release.

I played the beta, it was a slow, laggy, buggy highly unoptimised mess.

I came back to the beta 2 patches later and found it was a

slow, laggy buggy highly unoptimised mess.

I then hover over the refund button on steam, and think to myself "nah, im a fan of tripwire, was playing RO when the first iteration of the mod was released, maybe, just maybe this will be sorted out for the release"

Boy was I wrong, I hate to do this to one of the last dev studios I respect, but this is pathetic. You guys are the same RO team right? the same guys who have worked with the unreal engine for years right? and you cant get servers to show up in the server browser?

This might fly in a "beta" but I'm sorry TWI, you have released the game to the paying public, people have put faith in you and paid hard earned money for your product, and its broken. Extensively broken, I mean you can't release a MP focused game and your bloody server browser is broken.

And that issue is just a fart in the wind compared to all the other bugs, which include :

a % of maps crashing upon load for a majority of the userbase, the ABSOLUTELY HORRIFIC performance (seriously, all settings on low/off and it looks worse than HL1 and Im getting 40 fps, its a disgrace), wonky cover system, see through walls and textures, just bugs galore.

I couldn't hold my tongue any longer and seeing threads like "buy the devs a drink" I feel disgusted and seriously? buy you a drink? I BOUGHT this game and its broken in so many many ways, you should be ashamed to be honest.

Well, I may still try and get a refund for this now, I gave so you chance in the beta, then a few more chances with patches, now the game is out and its in a hell of a f-ing state.

Its just a disgrace.

An unhappy customer.

100% agree.

I played the DDE beta all the way through and I've played the game after official release and I have to say it's exactly the same. No scratch that, the beta actually ran better. It's also glaringly obvious they rushed this game for the 13th because much of the promised content isn't even in the game.

Man up and admit it Tripwire. This game was rushed for the 13th and it isn't finished yet.

Upvote 0
Yes, this is, in fact, a joke. The proper version will be uploaded to your computer shortly along with a picture of the entire staff of TWI in drag for your amusement.

Rather than the dramatic and non-descriptive topic, why not post the issues you're having, your system specs, and see if some of the fine fellows on the forum or from TWI themselves can help you?

Upvote 0
Rather than the dramatic and non-descriptive topic, why not post the issues you're having, your system specs, and see if some of the fine fellows on the forum or from TWI themselves can help you?

That's what people have been doing for the past WEEK during beta already. I guess the OP has given up hope and rightly so.

Upvote 0
Yes, this is, in fact, a joke. The proper version will be uploaded to your computer shortly along with a picture of the entire staff of TWI in drag for your amusement.

I'm fine with that - I just have no idea where to even begin.

I'd need very clear instruction on what to do and try.

Upvote 0

I think the post was descriptive enough. And i'm pretty sure "the fine fellows on the forum" can't do anything to a rushed game that was released when it clearly needs a few more months of beta testing. Almost everything in the game is broken.:mad::(

Upvote 0
That's what people have been doing for the past WEEK during beta already. I guess the OP has given up hope and rightly so.

I don't suppose you're familiar with the optimization process, are you?

It's a long, arduous, and difficult one. Trust me, I'm none to pleased about my computer's performance either, but I've been through what they're going through now. It takes longer than a week to optimize. Whether they were right in releasing now and trying to hotfix it or waiting until right in the middle of the holiday releases to try and snatch a market share in a room crowded by massive AAA titles, I don't know. But I do know that this is not an easy process, and expecting them to have it running flawlessly in a week is a very tall order.

I tried to stay optimistic through the beta, and I'm optimistic now. Patience is going to pay off. I understand folks are upset being out of money with a product that doesn't work properly, but I can think of a dozen games off the top of my head (at LEAST a dozen) that have had similar launches that were quickly forgotten amongst the merits of the game. Such is the nature of PC gaming. With console development, you know exactly what hardware everyone has, so optimization is a LOT easier. With PC gaming, you only have the hardware in your office and that of your beta testers to test it on, so something that works perfectly on your machines may **** itself and drop dead on everyone else's. It's very difficult try and optimize for hardware you don't have available.

Listen, if you like the core gameplay of the beta, patience is going to pay off. If nothing else, go play another game for a few weeks, let TWI get things straight, and then come back and try again.

It's a frustrating situation, but for anyone who's been a part of the PC gaming sphere for any significant length of time, it shouldn't be an unusual or unexpected one. We live in a day and age where patching is the norm. You've got to learn to live with it.

Upvote 0
I don't suppose you're familiar with the optimization process, are you?

It's a long, arduous, and difficult one. Trust me, I'm none to pleased about my computer's performance either, but I've been through what they're going through now. It takes longer than a week to optimize. Whether they were right in releasing now and trying to hotfix it or waiting until right in the middle of the holiday releases to try and snatch a market share in a room crowded by massive AAA titles, I don't know. But I do know that this is not an easy process, and expecting them to have it running flawlessly in a week is a very tall order.

I tried to stay optimistic through the beta, and I'm optimistic now. Patience is going to pay off. I understand folks are upset being out of money with a product that doesn't work properly, but I can think of a dozen games off the top of my head (at LEAST a dozen) that have had similar launches that were quickly forgotten amongst the merits of the game. Such is the nature of PC gaming. With console development, you know exactly what hardware everyone has, so optimization is a LOT easier. With PC gaming, you only have the hardware in your office and that of your beta testers to test it on, so something that works perfectly on your machines may **** itself and drop dead on everyone else's. It's very difficult try and optimize for hardware you don't have available.

Listen, if you like the core gameplay of the beta, patience is going to pay off. If nothing else, go play another game for a few weeks, let TWI get things straight, and then come back and try again.

It's a frustrating situation, but for anyone who's been a part of the PC gaming sphere for any significant length of time, it shouldn't be an unusual or unexpected one. We live in a day and age where patching is the norm. You've got to learn to live with it.

I agree with you - I'll do my best to be patient.

I'm just hoping I didn't pay $40 for nothing...

Upvote 0

I've been a part of PC gaming since the early 90s. Why, in almost 20 years, can we not get past this? Why is it so hard to say "hey guys, this game is obviously still broken, let's delay a little"? Why are we treating this like it's ok?

When I get anything else that's broken, I return it and get my money back. I don't wait for the manufacture to repair it for me. Games that are released unfinished reflect poorly on their developers. Look at the difference of opinion between Valve and Obsidian.

We, as gamers, shouldn't have to put up with this. Throwing your hands up and saying "oh well, that's how it was and always shall be!" is just lazy. Demand better. Complain. Ask for your money back. Developer should know that it's not ok to take our money for broken goods.

...Especially after a public beta! Seriously? The beta didn't tip them off that some things needed work?

Upvote 0