• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Is this a decent rig setup for RO2?

Domingo_Chavez

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2008
Roswell, Ga
Looking to build a new rig and get something a little more updated. I'll reuse my hard drive Western Digital Raptor, a nice 600w Corsair PSU, my CoolerMaster Case, Zallmann 110mm CPU fan, and just keep my 4870x2 single card in there until I get something DX-11. Total cost is under $500 for these parts, let me know if this is a decent set up.

Processor:
i5-2500k Sandy Bridge 3.3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

Motherboard:
ASRock P67 EXTREME4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157265

Ram:
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

So keep in my I'll be using my 4870x2 as my GPU, is this a decent setup not only for RO2 but at least for the next 2-4 years? My old setup was a Q6600, a P35 Mobo, 4 Gigs of DDR2 800, and the 4870x2, will I see much of an improvement in my FPS and overall gaming experience?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Some P67 mobo's have terrible problems and i recommend to get newer Z68 chipset, even price should be same.

Source? Evidence? Examples? Not calling you out I'm genuinely curious.Check the reviews on that mobo, they seem strong, even if there are only 14 and it is relatively new..

Also long term benefits of getting a Z68?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its simple alot of computer gear heads think you need 90+ fps.As long as you have over 30fps you can kill with the best of them...not to mention alot less in your system.

I have under 1k in my system as well as long as you can peak 60fps your doing fine.And regularly outscore my friends that have 3k or more in their system lol.

I was owning in RO1 with a peak fps of 25fps if I was lucky....
with such a system as mentioned above would I be able to run RO2 on ultra settings and hover around 60fps?

Upvote 0
So here are my specs. I really don't know anything about computers and had a friend assist me about two years ago. I have no gripes, as I can play with high settings at a 30-40 fps, or medium at 40-60. I was playing on ultra, but once the game started to fill, it became very choppy.

• Intel Core i5-2410M Processor 2.3 GHz (2.9 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology), 3MB Cache
  • Configured with 4GB DDR3 1333MHz (max 8GB)
  • 500GB (7200 RPM); Serial ATA hard disk drive with TOSHIBA Hard Drive Impact Sensor (3D sensor)
  • 18.4" diagonal widescreen TruBrite TFT display at 1680 x 945 native resolution (HD+) with 16:9 Aspect Ratio
  • Windows 7
Is it surprising that I can run it or is this still decent? (Thinking of handing this one down to my wife and getting a new one.)
edit: and this: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M with 1.5 GB GDDR5

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Source? Evidence? Examples? Not calling you out I'm genuinely curious.Check the reviews on that mobo, they seem strong, even if there are only 14 and it is relatively new..

Also long term benefits of getting a Z68?

No english source but 30 pages of problems in forum was enough, so went from P67 to Z68 Asrock pro3. Reviews are usually short test's and its better to read some forum, where people are using them a lot.

No performance differences between chipsets but Z68 has Lucid Virtu and supports 2500k integrated gpu (can be handy if have problems with normal gpu)

Upvote 0
No english source but 30 pages of problems in forum was enough, so went from P67 to Z68 Asrock pro3. Reviews are usually short test's and its better to read some forum, where people are using them a lot.

No performance differences between chipsets but Z68 has Lucid Virtu and supports 2500k integrated gpu (can be handy if have problems with normal gpu)

Would this be better in the long term or by the time a new processor is out will I still need to get another mobo?

Upvote 0
I was owning in RO1 with a peak fps of 25fps if I was lucky....
with such a system as mentioned above would I be able to run RO2 on ultra settings and hover around 60fps?

maybe not ultra atm but as supported drivers get released and the game gets more polish it should be np.

I have a mid range system running every thing on high and mxaa x4 and peak 60fps.(could do more prolly but vsync has it locked at 60fps) on ultra mines still very playable tho.

windows 7 64bit
i5 [email protected]
8g ram
gtx 460

From what I seen even the lower end nvidia card's do good running on board physics taking stress off the cpu.

Upvote 0
Would this be better in the long term or by the time a new processor is out will I still need to get another mobo?

This is every PC builder's question. How long will this tech last me?

As a comparison the i5 2500k stomps the piss out of my Q9550. My system plays at ultra settings at an average of 40 FPS max 72 FPS since lowering my shadow detail to High. So... technically speaking you are already at a massive performance advantage just having the latest tech.

Benchmarks give the best comparison, you can't just look at games to see the longevity of some tech. Basically speaking though the efficiency and power of the i5 2500k chip will last you many many many years.
[url]http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/50?vs=288[/URL]

Upvote 0
This is every PC builder's question. How long will this tech last me?

As a comparison the i5 2500k stomps the piss out of my Q9550. My system plays at ultra settings at an average of 40 FPS max 72 FPS since lowering my shadow detail to High. So... technically speaking you are already at a massive performance advantage just having the latest tech.

Benchmarks give the best comparison, you can't just look at games to see the longevity of some tech. Basically speaking though the efficiency and power of the i5 2500k chip will last you many many many years.
[url]http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/50?vs=288[/URL]

Thanks for this, what do you think in terms of the P67 board vs the Z68?

Upvote 0
The Z68 boards offer the full range of features of the 1155 processors. The P67 basic boards offer very similar performance but was the first release to support 1155.

Z68 offers:
1. Integrated graphics support
2. Use of Quicksync for video transcoding
3. SSD Caching

Otherwise, its the same as P67 in terms of foundation chipset and performance.

Z68 takes better use of SSD drives. Unless price is an issue, I'd go with a Z68 because of the full feature list. Some people might tell you a P67 board is more overclocker friendly though.

Things I heard:
Z68 allows you to overclock the integrated GPU and do some Lucid Hydra multi GPU support, ie: internal gpu + Video Card
Z68 can support the newer Ivy Bridge chips.

Upvote 0
It is generally wiser to spend some extra dough on a quality motherboard.

Same goes for a PSU.

If all you want to do is game, a P67 board has the same performance as the Z68 board (looking at the same quality level).

I like the ASrock board you listed. That company has come a long way from their lego colored mismatch boards.

Last edited:
Upvote 0