• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

is there bullet lag?

leakedazaz

Aug 9, 2011
I know from experience that most unreal engine 3 games have bullet lag and server side hit detection, does RO2 have bullet lag and is it client side hit detection??
The bullet might show up instantly on your screen but like gears of war 2, the actual bullet comes out later. Kinda hard to explain. i wanna know if ro2 is like that

I know from experience that most unreal engine 3 games have bullet lag and server side hit detection, does RO2 have bullet lag and is it client side hit detection??
The bullet might show up instantly on your screen but like gears of war 2, the actual bullet comes out later. Kinda hard to explain. i wanna know if ro2 is like that

There is bullet travel time if that's what you're asking - you have to compensate for distance, angle, calibre of your weapon, etc..

HOS doesn't use hitscan like, I assume, Gears of War.

Upvote 0
All done server side, which results in some rather difficult to achieve kills and less-than-realistic amounts of leading.

Basically you tell the server you've fired, the server does the ballistics, and then tells you where the shot went.

This can be very problematic. It'd be much better if it was done client-side, that way you can make hits realistically, but their death is delayed (which isn't that unrealistic - sometimes people don't realize they've been shot for some time.)

Upvote 0
All done server side, which results in some rather difficult to achieve kills and less-than-realistic amounts of leading.

Basically you tell the server you've fired, the server does the ballistics, and then tells you where the shot went.

This can be very problematic. It'd be much better if it was done client-side, that way you can make hits realistically, but their death is delayed (which isn't that unrealistic - sometimes people don't realize they've been shot for some time.)

that's what im afraid of man, thanks, so the higher my ping, the more i need to lead

Upvote 0
Client-side processing just leads to stuff like latency normalization though (ie a console solution.) Which is just as bad.

There's lots of ways to achieve ballistics processing, but at the end of the day they all rely on stable, low pings and servers that aren't overloaded so everyone is generally experiencing the same things at the same time. To me I think that's overall what's screwing with ballistics. Which is about on par for any MP shooter game at release. My pings to most servers are never lower than 100, and while it plays smoother than I'd expect, you start to notice the problems when shooting either at long range or people right next to you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, at the moment there is bullet lag. I'm guessing it's PB or something, everyones pings are high.
Yes there is DEFINITELY bullet lag. You can't miss it. Just join a full server (even with good ping), pull out your weapon, fire at the ground, and you'll notice anywhere from .25 to a half a second delay between firing the weapon and it hitting the ground right in front of you. Then add intentional bullet travel time on top of it and it makes for some frustrating times.

I had this exact same issue in RO1, and even though it was my biggest pet peeve of the game, I just got used to it. I have a feeling I'll have to do the same for RO2.

Upvote 0
atm there is problems with PB which leads to bad ping. my normal ping now is between 120-250 which is alot when i'am used to play with 30-40

Yes im also getting this and its a serious issue. I know its not me because i join servers between 60-100ms and everyone in the server has 150-250ms, and i mean everyone. This problem has existed since the weekend update so maybe its punkbuster, but i dont know.

Upvote 0
2 days ago I was on serv in which i was not lagging but I shoot an entire magazine from SVT into a back of a German player from 2 me in open space, he turned around and killed me ;D

On the same serv I was able to win a firefight with a rifle against a mp40 wielding German from about the same distance. We was able to fire 10-15 bullets before I was able to aim my rifle and shoot ;-]

Something fishy is going on...

Upvote 0
You can't even hit somebody with your rifle 10 meters from you running to the left because your ping is 60-120ms.

Leading your shots is a thing of the past. It's literally impossible to have a 100% chance of hitting, as you have to guess what direction they're going to run in, and if they will stop running. Who thought this was a good idea?
There is no noticeable bullet drop using rifles at 100m, and the amount of snipers are always low. You might as well give the middle finger to ballistics if it's going to cause problems of this magnitude and only provide largely unnoticed realism.

Reactions: Buckfast
Upvote 0
Client-side hit detection would be a win-win for this game. It'd take most of the ballistics stress off the server load and it'd solve the issue of quadrupling or worse the amount of lead needed on a target. Both server performance and the difficulty of hitting moving targets has pretty substantial effects on gameplay.

Upvote 0
So.... will (can) this ever be "fixed"? It's the only problem I have with the game right now but I find it to be enough to make me play less.

The real problem with the game's network setup isn't server side calculation, it's that the server code is slow and ping is always high. I never get under 80 ping (usually 100-120) in RO2, while I may have 10-20 ping in a quick CS server. I understand that running 64-players and having full bullet simulation increases server load, but BF2 was running 64 players back when server CPUs were 10x slower. Something just doesn't add up.

Upvote 0