• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Is there a quick weapon switch?

breadtruck

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Wisconsin, USA
Kinda like in HL2 and other Valve games, is there a setting to "turn on" to auto switch weapons when using the scroll wheel, rather than navigating the weapon menu? I like the instant gratification of weapon changes when I move the wheel. I dont really ever use the number keys to switch either.

I did not see an option in any of the settings. So if not, is it possible to add later on?

Numbers will switch between different classes of weapons. For instance, 1 is for melee weapons and pressing it would select your best melee weapon. Pressing it again would select the next best and so on. If you just have a knife that's what it would select.
2- "secondary weapons" (handguns)
3- "primary weapons" (rifles)
4- "specialty weapons" (the big guns)
5- "tools" (med/welder)

These are just the defaults though. You can reassign them in control settings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Kinda like in HL2 and other Valve games, is there a setting to "turn on" to auto switch weapons when using the scroll wheel, rather than navigating the weapon menu? I like the instant gratification of weapon changes when I move the wheel. I dont really ever use the number keys to switch either.

I did not see an option in any of the settings. So if not, is it possible to add later on?
Their system should cut down the time for weapon switches because the switch never happens until you click. You can also hold over a weapon while your knife is out to run.
I use the scroll wheel plus some bindings for specific weapons (like knife).

Upvote 0

seconding this request.

I can't do what zynthetic suggests because I use the arrow keys :/

Upvote 0
I learned to play this way (original UT), and it makes more sense to me than the WSAD keys.

I can't use arrow keys at all. I'm a right handed, so maybe that's why, I need my right hand for my mouse, and my left hand makes WASD feel perfect. Arrow Keys just feel so un-natural to me now, after all these years. Even playing older games with them feels very odd.

Upvote 0
I learned to play this way (original UT), and it makes more sense to me than the WSAD keys.

Same here, I learned to play with the arrows key while playing UT'99. However, I have since then seen the light of WASD and adapted to that. For some reason it just became clumsy to use the mouse so close to the keyboard.

In any case, I'd love to see a quick weapon switch thing, or at least seperate the welder from the syringe (and yes, I know they're both tools so they're both under Tools).

Upvote 0
binding quick weapon switching

binding quick weapon switching

Before trying this, you may want to back up your user.ini.

Scroll down past the aliases to the key board key bindings. Most like you will use the mouse scroll up or down.

Next you can enter the following for MouseWheelUp. This will allow you to switch between your weapon set 4, 3 and 2. (Note: It will only select your top 2 weapons in the order you have them. Here I have your special weapon (Hunting shotgun, LAW, Crossbow) as the first set selected, then the primary weapons as the second selection. If you only have a special weapon or a primary weapon, the the second weapon selected would be your pistol.)

MouseWheelUp=PipedSwitchWeapon 4|PipedSwitchWeapon 3|PipedSwitchWeapon 2

Code for more than one on each weapon set. (This will switch between two specials, primary's or pistols depending on what's in your inventory.)

MouseWheelUp=PipedSwitchWeapon 4|PipedSwitchWeapon 4|PipedSwitchWeapon 3|PipedSwitchWeapon 3|PipedSwitchWeapon 2|PipedSwitchWeapon 2

Since you can only select between two weapons using this code, you could use MouseWheelUp for your big weapons and MouseWheelDown as your small weapons like 9mm and handcannon.

MouseWheelUp=PipedSwitchWeapon 4|PipedSwitchWeapon 4|PipedSwitchWeapon 3|PipedSwitchWeapon 3
MouseWheelDown=PipedSwitchWeapon 2|PipedSwitchWeapon 2

Pros:
Easy weapon switch with minimal button steps.
Cons:
If your weapon is empty, it will still switch to that weapon.
You still need buttons for weapon set 1, melee and tools, medic syringe and welder.
Other comments:
If you want to switch through all weapon sets, I would guess you will have to script some aliases to do that.

Upvote 0