• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Is the minor lag issue on linux server when the match ends solvable?

Esprimo

Oct 23, 2018
Germany
Hello there,

a friend of mine is renting a linux KF2 server and since the Haloween update 2018 it always has a 3 to 5 second lag every time exactly after the last hit when a match ends. Doesn't matter whether the boss or last player dies.

During this time frame the ZEDs and other players run straight forward, looks similar to when the server is restarting while players are on it. (I had a server running on Windows for a while but currently not in a position to do so.)

Reinstalling the server did not help. It is not gameplay affecting thus not that bad but still bothers me a little bit.

So my question is, is that how KF2 linux server run currently or was this problem introduced by the company offering the server?

(Also since this Halloween update it lags noticeably when people join and the problem with being stuck in the loading screen for custom maps still persist after the hotfix but that's an other issue.)

My friend did bug their support and the answer was that it is a bug from the game itself. At that time (Halloween 2018) I did see the same issue on a few other random server I visited, so I assumed that's how it is.

Sadly no access to monitoring or running command lines. When there was the problem with a reference to the location of server files, we got the answer that the game simply does not work until I frcking googled it myself and sent it, then it worked. Not fond of their service.

But good to know that it is the fault of the provider and not the game itself.

Thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0
Not a bug, it is because hardware is too low specs.

Same with game start, when timer hits 0 and it start a few seconds after, that means machine doesn't handle the computing well, because too low hardware or not enough resources available.

for the 'lags' this problem occurs since a year or two since they implemented the 'loading everything we can before game starts' bull****. Every single 'new' thing in game (be it a dosh throw, a headshot on a clot, a siren, a crawler..., and so on, everything that is for the first time done in the current game) produce a lag client side, and yes a new player joining/spawning does that too, but also when people buy/sell stuff in trader... This is plaguing the game since VEERY long time.

This is called TRIPWIRE'S FEATURES.

Last edited:
Reactions: Esprimo and s5yn3t
Upvote 0
Oh, okay. So maybe the provider does cheap out on the recources.

The weird thing is that I remember the trader lag only from weapon mods but not in vanilla game. And since the recent update both lag on joining and trader lag are noticable without mods. In addition to the lag on the last hit and being stuck in loading screens. It does not destroy but damps the experience a bit.

Do the lags on joining and on trader then appear independently of computing resources/hard drive speed?

Upvote 0
Yeah but still, if they offer the renting service then I also expect hardware which is capable of running it smoothly (to a reasonable degree). If the average home PC can run a server and the KF2 game without these lag situations then I would consider the required specs for it reasonable enough to expect it from the said renting service.

Thanks for the replies :)

Upvote 0