• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Is Killing Floor 2 on Unreal Engine 4?

Really? Looked VERY UE4.

Yep that's because on top of using the latest UE3 as the starting point, we've got a team of graphics programmers making the engine look really nice and adding awesome feature that support KF2's direction - stuff like fully dynamic lighting, and persistent blood.

Upvote 0
I dont know why so many ppl want all new games on UE4. I mean just look at Bioshock Infinite wich also runs on UE3 and its still one of the best looking games i played yet.

I think it's just a matter of educating people on what goes into making a game look nice. Generally a game engine is just the starting point for what makes a game look good. How you use the game engine including artwork, shaders, and content are about 75% of what makes a game look good. You can make a great looking game on an older engine, and a bad looking game on a newer one. Just look at maps like Waterworks in the original KF - they look amazing, but are built on older tech - UE2.5 (incidentally that map was made by the assistant art director on Dishonered). Generally newer game engines and better tech just make it easier to make a game look nice. And of course many game developers enhance the engines they license, so there can be a wild difference between the technology even on the same version of an engine. UT2004, Bioshock, and Killing Floor were all made on UE2.5. UT was stick UE2.5, KF was mildly modified UE2.5 (at least from a graphical feature standpoint), and Bioshock was heavily modified UE2.5. For KF2 we've got some talented graphics programmers adding some cool tech to the engine.

Upvote 0
Will it be moddable? i.e. there are basically no mods for RO2 because the engine is horrible for modders to work with and the old cooking of maps was horrendous (though I know that was improved recently).

The biggest issue there wasn't that the engine isn't moddable, it just was that nobody had done it for many versions of the engine until we did enabled it again. So when we ran into issues we had to sort it out ourselves. Having gone through the learning curve with RO 2 we have things set up much better for KF 2.

Upvote 0
Will it be moddable? i.e. there are basically no mods for RO2 because the engine is horrible for modders to work with and the old cooking of maps was horrendous (though I know that was improved recently).

There is a ton of custom content for RO2. Rising Storm started as a mod, and we decided to take it commercial. In Country is in development as well. There have been tons of maps, new vehicles, weapons, etc. Yeah it had a rough start. In the past versions of the Unreal Engine modding support on PC just worked out of the box. But with UE3 it was built for consoles, and the mod support in the version of the engine we used for RO2 was pretty bad and a lot of it had to be built ourselves. We've put massive amounts of time and effort into improving it, and have always been proactive about addressing community content creators issues. With the last release of RO2 we even completly replaced the stock UE3 cooking system with our own system we call brewing. This system was a massive undertaking, and addresses many of the remaining issues with modding on RO2. It's also the base that we're using for KF2. So basically we're using RO2 to prove out the systems we'll be using for KF2, and improving the moddability of RO2 in the process.

Upvote 0
'There is a ton of custom content for RO2.'

I think that is somewhat of an exaggeration. There are maps and there is a large mod which was brought in-house and released as a paid expansion. That's about it really. (No idea what In Country's status is. AFAIK it still isn't playable).

All attempts at 'proper' large scale mods have died, including two or three WWI mods.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
'There is a ton of custom content for RO2.'

I think that is somewhat of an exaggeration. There are maps and there is a large mod which was brought in-house and released as a paid expansion. That's about it really. (No idea what In Country's status is. AFAIK it still isn't playable).

All attempts at 'proper' large scale mods have died, including two or three WWI mods.

Those mods died for their own internal reasons, not because of the mod tools. The early issues with the RO2 SDK were that our updates would break some already released custom content. The ability to create stuff in the SDK and with the tools was always there. Rising Storm would have released as a mod on its own if we hadn't taken it commercial, it just wouldn't have been as polished and would have taken longer. I have to ask, are you a modder? Do you have first hand experience with trying to create a large scale mod for RO2? Or are you just making assumptions?

Upvote 0
Really? Infinite doesn't look any better than the first Bioshock, the devs just slapped a ton of bloom over it to make it look "nicer".

The game looks absolutely georgous. Have you taken a look to see how sharp the textures are? How clean the game looks all throughout? On-top of all that, there is a lot of graphic intensive scenes in that game and it all runs at a clean 60 FPS on PC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0