• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ironsights disalignment during stands change

O' Shannon, Zetsumei made the point. With free look aim, your gun will not be pointing in the middle when you pop up.

..Also Shannon, remember that TWI stressed there is no "hold breath" in Red Orchestra. Holding breath is bad for the shooter because it creates too much tension leading to loss of concentration. All shooters shoot after they exhale when in long range. It is called the respiratory pause.

Upvote 0
O' Shannon, Zetsumei made the point. With free look aim, your gun will not be pointing in the middle when you pop up.

..Also Shannon, remember that TWI stressed there is no "hold breath" in Red Orchestra. Holding breath is bad for the shooter because it creates too much tension leading to loss of concentration. All shooters shoot after they exhale when in long range. It is called the respiratory pause.

Twi never said that they would Tiger, which is what suggestions are for. Thats why i suggested TWI would do that. Its simply unless twi states that for certain issues like popupping there is a solution then people will continue and should continue to add suggestions.

Twi often reads these forums and if they find something feasable and doable they will add things.

Upvote 0
[...] it would make more sense if your camera maybe slightly moves around so you need to reorient a little after changing stance.

so you mean during standing up you Ironsights would move a little bit within the IS-freeaim zone?

if so ..jup would be fine with me this way littel pinpoint up-and-down games would stop, too.

.Also Shannon, remember that TWI stressed there is no "hold breath" in Red Orchestra.

i never mention anything about "hold breath", so whats your point here?

There is more to skill then just fast aiming, it's in the way you play.

who are you referring to?

if me :

i never said skill is all about aiming. for me "RO-skill" is a combination of tones of things. things like tactical comprehension, aiming (you can be as smart as you want if you don't hit your target you gonna die), hearing: for example: if i know an enemy is around a corner and i here a nade clicking i know i can get(rush) him (always funny to see noob-teammates ignoring every sound that indicates enemies) etc.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It depends how it's implemented, and to what degree. I mean, as long as it's realistic and authentic then it's great, but as soon as you start putting unrealistic constraints on the players (for example, stopping them doing something they could do in real life) then it just becomes irritating.

If you can do it in real life, then I see no problem to stop someone doing it in a game.

So I would suggest getting some real riflemen together and seeing how fast they can do what you're talking about before rushing in there throwing constraints around like you got them five off or something ;)

Upvote 0
it seems you fail to understand why many ppl like the DH supression system
yes, more effective MG's is a part of it, but only one of many reasons

the most deciding factor for me is the tension it creates
spraying spots where the enemy could be actually has an effect
if you get sprayed by a tank/MG/MP/rifle it just creates a verry special tension wich i have not seen in any game till now

it actually makes you duck behind your PC when spuressed, rather then just making you think that you should be supressed

It makes it utterly impossible to engage an MG frontally as well regardless of your degree of cover and it also makes frontal firefight engagements boil down effectively to which of the two shooters shoots the fastest and can deliver the fastest follow-up shot (rate of fire). Also, battles between two people with sufficiently high rate of fire can deflect their opponent's aim (and their opponent can deflect the player's aim) to the point where they deflect aim like lightsabers deflect laser pulse blasts in Star Wars. Oh, and don't forget the fact that when you're sitting next to someone with an STG44 or someone slightly behind you with an STG44, every time he fires a round, despite the fact that he's a friendly, puts your cursor on the other end of the screen.

Sir, I understand you like suppression systems generally, but the suppression system in Darkest Hour sucks. Does it make machine guns more effective? Yes. It also arbitrarily rewards rate of fire over anything else and makes suppression more a matter of volume of fire, amidst the issues I mentioned previously.

What the TC mentioned was something that should be implemented entirely apart from the question of a "suppression" system, which is both realistic and will stomp rampant exploits in Ost, while serving your end of making machine guns appear more effective.

I don't see why this thread even needed to have the issue of suppression systems, go look at the thread title, it's not even remotely related.

Upvote 0
I dont think your understanding just how quick this can be done. With practice and some training, you can pop up - shoot - duck in a fraction of a second.

What we dont know is, how long before the weapon sways, does it rise in the centre then sway or start off set (as oshan suggested) then move.

Unless it sways to a fair extend within maybe 1/5th if a second, then this discussion is valid.

If you dont beleive how quick this can be done, just ask, im sure oshan and me can get a squad together to take you on in a game of popup rifles :p

This is why crouching needs to have a delay. The crouch anim is exactly instantaneous, leading to spam crouch exploits in Ost.

Upvote 0
It makes it utterly impossible to engage an MG frontally as well regardless of your degree of cover and it also makes frontal firefight engagements boil down effectively to which of the two shooters shoots the fastest and can deliver the fastest follow-up shot (rate of fire). Also, battles between two people with sufficiently high rate of fire can deflect their opponent's aim (and their opponent can deflect the player's aim) to the point where they deflect aim like lightsabers deflect laser pulse blasts in Star Wars. Oh, and don't forget the fact that when you're sitting next to someone with an STG44 or someone slightly behind you with an STG44, every time he fires a round, despite the fact that he's a friendly, puts your cursor on the other end of the screen.

Sir, I understand you like suppression systems generally, but the suppression system in Darkest Hour sucks. Does it make machine guns more effective? Yes. It also arbitrarily rewards rate of fire over anything else and makes suppression more a matter of volume of fire, amidst the issues I mentioned previously.

What the TC mentioned was something that should be implemented entirely apart from the question of a "suppression" system, which is both realistic and will stomp rampant exploits in Ost, while serving your end of making machine guns appear more effective.

I don't see why this thread even needed to have the issue of suppression systems, go look at the thread title, it's not even remotely related.

Everything you said sounds pretty much realistic. I know about your bolt-action rifle fetish but every participant in WW2 and even WW1 quickly realized that rate of fire was the most important factor to winning small unit engagements. For German units the MG42 was the number 1 casualty producer by a huge margin.

I once saw a cctv tape of a guy robbing a liquor store with an SKS. When the police showed up he quickly attacked them, firing as quickly as he could and pinning them behind their squad car. He walked right up to the car and shot the officers because they were psychologically stunned or suppressed by the dozen or more bullets hitting the car and pavement inches from their bodies. Now imagine that instead of a dozen bullets there were hundreds. That is the effect machine guns have on infantry.

Upvote 0