• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Iron Sights Zoom (Merged)

Kurtz

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2006
Will RO:O apply a zoom to all guns when you're using the iron sights? Most games with iron sights do this, even if it's only a little magnification like 1.5x. While it does help for long range, it always annoys me in say, cod when you're trying to shoot someone close with a bolt-action and your iron sights force you into that slight zoom, making them even harder to use at close range than they would be in reality.

So what's the planned iron sight zoom for the retail version?

thanks,
Shorty

No zoom. Your eyes didn't magically zoom in in real life, so in the game there will be no zoom whatsoever. Except for scoped rifles, naturally. And even then there's a nifty feature which shows the zoom within the scope and shows your view around the scope with no zoom applied. Check it out, it's in the mod now. Go in IS with a sniper rifle and press f12. :D

Upvote 0
When someone suggests that a realistic field of view would lie in the range 30 - 50 degrees, it's a bit unfair to evalueate the suggestions based upon the lowest value only...

Still, you are right: in real life your field of view is much wider than 30 - 50 degrees, especially if you move your head. This is the rationale behind a 90 degree FOV. The drawback of course being that objects appear further away.

When you go in IS however, you limit your field of view (in RL as well as in-game). You concentrate on the ironsights, which is simulated by the grey areas at the edges of your vision (tunnelvision). In other words, there is no need to simulate a wider FOV with all the drawbacks that come with it. In conclusion, it would be unfair and unrealistic NOT to give the player a slight zoom when in IS.

Upvote 0
Panzerpimp_'44 said:
... it would be unfair and unrealistic NOT to give the player a slight zoom when in IS.

Sure, you are focusing, thus your conciously percieved field of view is smaller IRL. But you don't zoom with your eyes. So the wy the mod handles it now is more realistic IMHO.
But then, you can't realistically change between situational awareness and focusing on a screen like you can with your brain, so a zoom could be justified... I still think though, that no zoom is better. Right now in the mod people are complaining about super accurate rifle "railguns" and one pixel kills... now imagine this one pixel would be 4 pixels instead ;)

Upvote 0
Ironsight zooming

Ironsight zooming

One problem with this game, is the fact that when you go into the ironsight, there is no zoom atall. Meaning you are pixel hunting, even a very small zoom would've helped. I think it'd be a good idea to add at least a small zoom when you go into the ironsight in an update. It's not that big of a deal, but would make the game that much better than it already is!

Upvote 0
Well.. somewhat. IRL the only "zoom" you'd get is front leaning your head forward a little.

So.. they could increase teh zoom by 0.05% or so. Like 1 FoV. IT wouldn't matter much, though.

Everyone does say you don't zoom when focusing on the sights, which is true, though you do however move your head forward a little.

Upvote 0
ramsy66 said:
One problem with this game, is the fact that when you go into the ironsight, there is no zoom atall. Meaning you are pixel hunting, even a very small zoom would've helped. I think it'd be a good idea to add at least a small zoom when you go into the ironsight in an update. It's not that big of a deal, but would make the game that much better than it already is!
This is actually the reason why I started to play the mod, and I really like it.

A small zoom like Brothers in Arms or Call of Duty just suck IMO...

Upvote 0
ramsy66 said:
It may not be compeltely realistic no, but it would help alot even if it was only the slightest lean. Well we'll just have to see, I probably won't even notice it, I'll be concentrating on other amazing parts of the game. Which is.... ALL OF IT
If this was to be implement the iron sights should either be not so accurate anymore or hipshooting a bit more accurate...

Neither of both are a good plan...

Upvote 0
IS zoom (merged)

IS zoom (merged)

The objective of this post is to clarify why the "magic eye zoom" of most games is actually realistic, and that Red Orchestra's no-zoom "feature" is unrealistic.

This illustration is a mockup of my desktop setup at home. I have a 20.1" FP2001 LCD monitor at approximately arm's length viewing distance. I have marked a 90

Upvote 0
uhm if i zoom at 1024x768 then result is still rendered at 1024x768 , of course area of view is narrowed by defined degree range ...
If you're at 1024x768 and zoomed in at say 45 FOV, your picture is less clear than someone at the same FOV with a 1600x1200 resolution. Thus, to give you the same visual clarity, you have to zoom in MORE at a lower resolution.

Americas Army and Raven Shield as UE2.x gamse for sure don't have any out of box compensation for various resolutions and ratio aspects (16:10, 16:9) ...
You're getting bogged down with a part of the post that I said I wasn't going to spend too much time on. The reference I made was a general one towards devs recognizing the limitations of a computer monitor and adjusting the FOV for that. You're reading more into it than is actually there.

Upvote 0