• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Iron Sights vs. Scope

Iron Sights vs. Scope

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BeserkWraithlor

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2006
Arizona
I don't understand. I am very accurate with a Rifle with sights, and I can hit a target with pinpoint accuracy even from a very long range, and have no problems against a running target. Rifles don't sway much either. I can proudly say I mastered a Rifle with Sights, with increadibly accuracy.

Then I try a Rifle with a Scope, I thought "I am really good with sights, Scope will be easy", but I am surprised how hard it is. Why does the Rifle sway around like crazy? Its as if the guy is shivering in the freezer. That must be a very heavy scope! I can't hit anything with a Scoped Rifle, unless I go Prone, and because of that, It reduces my mobility and offense, so I am left to camp, which is something I hate to do. Now, when I see a target, The shots never go where I want them! I shoot a target, but nothing happens! I can't hit a barn 100 meters away with scope! I even have problems hitting a walking bot! :eek:

Maybe I am cursed or crazy, but I always thought Scope would make aiming a whole lot easier. My Dad says Scope is much easier to aim than Sights, so I must be weird!

Which would you pick, and what is more effective for you?

Last edited:
I got to being pretty good with the sniper rifles. The SVT-40 with scope is probaly my favorite gun to use on Danzig, if I can. The Mosin-Nagant scope is great ob Basovoka for picking off those nasty krauts.

Remember that the scope magnifys all of your movements. I don't know what the magnification on the scopes in game is but I know that more magnification there is the greater the movements are magnified as well.I think some might be thrown off by the way scopes are set up in the game, too. Having the space all around the scope is better for me in that I can have better situational awareness, but for others it just might be a distraction.

Upvote 0
It all boils down to having two different mental "modes" when you use them. For a regular rifle, just aim down the sights, lead the target a bit, and click. For a scoped rifle, take into account that what youre seeing ever-so-clearly is actually further than it would appear, so putting your sights dead on their head wont guarantee that shot at certain angles and distances. Just a quick thought. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
I don't understand. I am very accurate with a Rifle with sights, and I can hit a target with pinpoint accuracy even from a very long range, and have no problems against a running target. Rifles don't sway much either. I can proudly say I mastered a Rifle with Sights, with increadibly accuracy.
What class do you use? Most effective with scoped rifle is sniper - he got better accuracy with it. Anyway, you should aim target and wait 2-4 seconds not just point and click like in CS.

Upvote 0
It all boils down to having two different mental "modes" when you use them. For a regular rifle, just aim down the sights, lead the target a bit, and click. For a scoped rifle, take into account that what youre seeing ever-so-clearly is actually further than it would appear, so putting your sights dead on their head wont guarantee that shot at certain angles and distances. Just a quick thought. Hope that helps.

Very true, and well put.

Upvote 0
For some reason scoped rifles don't hit anything for me, even when my gun is rested and the target is stationary.

Bulllet drop:rolleyes:

Also, IMO Snipers are a bit "unnecessary" except some maps, because we don't have enough range to get their full power. That's why people are always yelling like "There's no need for a scope . . .etc".

Upvote 0
I wouldn't say the sway is increased on a scoped rifle, I'd just say its existance is more evident due to the magnification of the optics. When I shoot in real life I don't notice that much of a sway when using a weapon with iron sights, but when I'm using a scope shooting targets at similar distance I'd swear I was shaking like some old fossil.

Upvote 0

Then I try a Rifle with a Scope, I thought "I am really good with sights, Scope will be easy", but I am surprised how hard it is. Why does the Rifle sway around like crazy? Its as if the guy is shivering in the freezer. That must be a very heavy scope! I can't hit anything with a Scoped Rifle, unless I go Prone, and because of that, It reduces my mobility and offense, so I am left to camp, which is something I hate to do. Now, when I see a target, The shots never go where I want them! I shoot a target, but nothing happens! I can't hit a barn 100 meters away with scope! I even have problems hitting a walking bot! :eek:

Maybe I am cursed or crazy, but I always thought Scope would make aiming a whole lot easier. My Dad says Scope is much easier to aim than Sights, so I must be weird!

Which would you pick, and what is more effective for you?

Well first of all when you are in scoped mode you have to lead your targets a little more. Being zoomed in looks deceiving as far as how much you have to lead a target.

Secondly, you'll notice your gun wobble a lot mroe with crosshairs because you are zooming in and slight wobbles are more noticable when you are.

The best example I can think of is zoom on a video camera. Have you ever held a video camera while zoomed in all the way and tried to hold it steady on something in the distance? It's hard, and you can really see any slight shaking you have gets worse as you zoom in more and more, and that's exactly how a scope is.

Upvote 0
its a balance issue, it would be incredibly easy if the scope had no sway like in games such as cod and mohaa. With the iron sights in RO the bullet always goes exactly where you are aiming it whether it be an unrested/unsteady rifle or shooting from the hip, with the scoped BOLT ACTION rifles they are 100% accurate only if they are fully rested but sometimes you can get lucky. the semi-automatic rifles are not nearly as accurate as the bolts and are generally only good for closer distances with multiplle targets.

Upvote 0
There's no scope vs bolt! Either are good depending on the situation. On Stalingrad I'd take a scoped for example, I rarely miss with the scoped bolt and it's awesome for taking out enemy snipers and MGers. As well as randoms who want to blow doors and suchlike. With a scope I can take out targets that you wouldn't even see with regular IS, or you can hit targets who are hidden behind sandbags (even those who are prone looking through small holes between the bags) at long ranges.

That said, I can't think of many maps where snipers are REALLY effective, but on most a good sniper can be a good enough asset.

What I love the most, though, is Kaukasus bolt sniping. Lots of nice moving targets for practice :cool:

Upvote 0