• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Iron sigh question

Phoenix-D

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2006
As someone who's never shot anything with sights in RL..I have a bit of an issue with RO. Namely: what part of these blasted sights am I supposed to put on the target? Especially with the scoped rifles- I use the full-screen view, and for the life of me I can't figure out where to aim. If I use the tip of the black bar, I always seem to miss.

(I think this might explain my horrible accuracy in the mod..)

Basically, it's something you have to learn. Since RO calculates bullet drop, you have to take into account the distance between you and your target; the rifles are sighted so that a bullet will hit at the tip of the sight at a couple of hundred yards (I can't tell you exact numbers for each rifle). As you get farther and farther away from your target, the bullet will hit lower and lower on your iron sights. This is especially evident, as you said, in sniper rifles. Since you can see enemies at a much larger distance with a sniper rifle, you have to account for a much larger bullet drop.

Here's an example:

Let's just say for the sake of this that an MN 91/30 is zeroed at 200 yards, that is to say that if you were to fire at a target from 200 yards, your bullet would land very close to where the tip of your ironsight is. If you were to fire from, say 350 yards away you would have to aim higher to hit the same place than you would if you were shooting from 200 yards, since the bullet would have travelled farther and thusly dropped more over it's travel to the target. Therefore, if you were firing at someone with a sniper rife from, say 660 yards, you would have to account for quite a lot of bullet drop.

Basically all you can do is practice until you learn to just intuitively know how far away from an enemy you are and how much the bullet will drop in the distance. Either you're going to have to tolerate playing online and getting shot a lot while learning, or you can load up practice mode with some bota and take pot shots at them until you feel comfortable with your skill.

Upvote 0
ForgottenHero said:
can we adjust the rear iron sites for elevation? i never played any r.o. yet.

Nope. I think changing the elevation during battle was a bad idea, as it would ruin the zeroing of the weapon, thus making it harder, if not impossible to hit anything. also, you are much quicker if you just raise your gun a little.

As a rule of thumb: always aim for the head, and you should hit, no matter how far away the target is. If the target is prone aim slightly above the head, if you are far away.

And to the sniper: not only bullet drop is to be taken into account, but also travel time. So when you shoot a moving target, don't forget to "lead" it, menaing you shoot not at the target directly, but at the point where the target will be at the time your bullet arrives ;) Note though that you need to lead more on servers with high ping, as the ping logically delays your shots a little.

Upvote 0
General rule: put the tip of the front sight (triangular blade or rectangular post as presented for all RO weapons, except that Panzerfaust has a front bead instead) on the target's center of mass.

Sight.jpg

As an example, the tip of the little triangular thing at the end of the gun goes on what you want to hit.

Upvote 0
[-project.rattus-] said:
Nope. I think changing the elevation during battle was a bad idea, as it would ruin the zeroing of the weapon, thus making it harder, if not impossible to hit anything. also, you are much quicker if you just raise your gun a little.

Nope, adjusting the elevation doesn't ruin the zero, especially on iron sighted rifles (changing the windage would, but I don't think that's an issue in the game). Scoped rifles would probably be a different matter, as I'm not sure the scopes of the period were designed to be actively adjusted during combat. (Optics is not really my forte though, so maybe someone else can comment).

Most iron-sighted rifles were, as previously mentioned, intended to hit at ~200 yards with the sights on the lowest settings. At closer ranges, this leads to the rifles actually shooting much higher than the point of aim, so soldiers often shot for the center of mass. That way, at closer range you'd hit someone in the chest or head, while at long range you'd still hit them in the gut or pelvis. What I want to know is, in RO, will you have to compensate for your gun shooting high at close range as well as bullet drop at long range?

Upvote 0
Actually you do have to compensate for close targets in some circumstances. For instance shooting at a prone enemy, or if all you can see is their head poking out of cover. It's not much, since the bullet will only rise above the sight line about 3 inches for a rifle sighted at 200 yards (at least the rifles modelled in the game). You'll primarily have to adjust for distant targets, since with a 200 yard zero for, say, a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 the bullet will be impacting 12 inches BELOW point of aim at 300 yards.

Just a nitpick, but most combat rifles were "battle sighted" (zeroed) at 300 yards/meters/arshins rather than 200. (FYI, the arshin is the Russian unit of measure used for the 91/xx series, about 28 inches per arshin IIRC)

Upvote 0