• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Iron Man tailer looks good

Yeah thats the one

Plot summary from Wiki - don't read if you might read the novel. It really is a great book, even from an adult p.o.v

Written in 1968, the story declares that the Iron Man arrives from seemingly nowhere, and provides a description of his appearance. In order to survive, he feeds off the local farmers' equipment. When the farmers discover this, they set a trap consisting of a covered pit on which is set a tractor as bait. A boy called Hogarth lures the Iron Man to the place. The plan succeeds, and the Iron Man is buried alive.

A few days later, the Iron Man digs himself free of the pit. In order to keep him out of the way, Hogarth takes charge and brings him to a scrap-heap where he sets about eating all the discarded metal. He promises to be no trouble, as long as no one troubles him.

Time passes, and the Iron Man is treated as merely another person. However, astronomers monitoring the sky discover something new to be frightened of; a massive "star spirit" shaped like a black dragon, who is moving out of his orbit to land on our Earth. The said Star Spirit crashes heavily on Australia, later to demand of humanity that they provide him with food.

Terrified, humans send their armies to destroy him; but he is unharmed. When the Iron Man hears of this, he disassembles himself and is transported to Australia, where he challenges the Star Spirit to a contest of strength. If the Iron Man can withstand the heat of burning petroleum for longer than the Star Spirit can withstand the heat of the Sun, the Star Spirit must obey the Iron Man's commands forever more. If the Iron Man melts or is afraid of melting before the Star Spirit undergoes or fears pain in the Sun, the Spirit has permission to devour the whole Earth.

They play this game three times over, and at the end the Star Spirit is so badly burned that he is no longer frightening. The Iron Man, by contrast, has only a deformed ear-lobe to show for his pains. The Star Spirit admits defeat.

When asked why he came to Earth in the first place, the Star Spirit replies that the sights and sounds of the many wars humanity fights with itself had excited him. He wished to take part in all this violence, and so had come. In his own life, he was a singer of the "music of the spheres"; the harmony of his kind that keeps the Cosmos in balance, in stable equilibrium.

The Iron Man orders the Star Spirit to fly singing around the Earth, just behind the sunset, so that at night all humanity is lulled to peace by his song. The beauty of his music distracts humanity from its egocentricism and from its tendency to fight, causing the first worldwide lasting peace.

Upvote 0
I think the movie treatment of comic book characters seems to be a higher standard nowadays- and this looks no better or worse than the norm.
I only read Iron man in the avengers a very long time ago so hard to say if they have the right actor- however i always kinda like Downey.
Just saw a slightly different trailer on TV - some of stark's wisecracks seem a bit corny - you often seem to get away with similar lines in comics or graphic novels - but he delivers them pretty well.
Action's sure to be up to other rmarvel standards.
I can hardly wait till my nephew lends me the dvd in about 12-18 months time.

Upvote 0
Ok. You seem to diagree with everyone else so far, but why?
Well, as much as I like Downey Jr --he's a good actor-- that aside it just looks like another special effects circle jerk in a similar vein to Tranformers.

I dunno I just find these big budget super hero/comic adaptation movies are so, well bad.

The only recent movies of this type I've liked is Batman Begins and Sin City, the rest, meh.

Upvote 0
Special effects are easier. You dont have to worry about the costumes breaking so much, design costs less Id imagine, and if you want to reshoot with a different costume, you dont need the actor. It looks ok to me, anyway, Im not that caught up in movies that I care much abot CGI vs real costumes, sets, ect.

Upvote 0
Special effects are easier. You dont have to worry about the costumes breaking so much, design costs less Id imagine, and if you want to reshoot with a different costume, you dont need the actor. It looks ok to me, anyway, Im not that caught up in movies that I care much abot CGI vs real costumes, sets, ect.
That's not what I meant.

I meant it's one of those movies where big 'WOW' computer generated visuals take precedence over, plot, acting, cinematography etc.

Upvote 0