• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Iron Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyThumbs

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2006
A few of you guys have heard of us, and we have been pretty quiet for some time, but today we’re proud to announce is our first preview.

Iron Europe is a mod for Red Orchestra that focuses on accurately depicting World War I. Our first release will focus on the Western front, from the race to the sea in 1914, to the battle of the Somme in 1916.

Features
-Static Machine guns will be able to adjust for range on the sights.

-Rifle grenades will provide close support for advancing infantry.

-New classes such as.
Bombers- armed with a bag of grenades and either a pistol or a trench club they’ll be great for clearing out enemy trenches.

Support gunners- this class is the only class that can give ammunition to machine gunners. Armed with a rifle and extra ammo they can provide invaluable support to their fellow gunner.

Maps

-Gommecourt
On the first day of the Somme the 56th London Division went over the top with thousands of other soldiers spread along the Somme front. The 56th was to assault the town of Gommecourt, on the very northern area of the battle to get rid of the German salient in this area. The 56th attacked from the South while the 48th attacked from the North in an attempt to sandwich the Germans. They managed to capture the first line of defences, but could not hold onto the second line and they were eventually pushed back.

The British forces will be attacking on this map and will have to capture the German trench lines in order to win, to help them they will have the advantage of artillery support.

-Delville Wood
The 154 acre wood was a tangle of broken trees, thick undergrowth and shell holes. By midday the would was clear with the south Africans digging in on the perimeter of the wood. During the 16th and 17th of July the fought off several German attempts to take back the wood. On the evening of the 17th a German bombardment began, lasting till 3:30pm the following afternoon. To the astonishment of the Germans a few South African survivors fended off attack after attack with bayonets and grenades. Eventually handfuls of troops pulled back to a strong point at the center of the wood.

This map will feature the South Africans defending with a Germans attacking, a change of pace for the Somme. Expect lots of close quarter combat.

Positions are still available for mappers, modelers, texture artists, coders, and animators. Feel free to apply.

Now what you really came to see, some WIP models that we have.

Last edited:
Hmm I wonder wether there's any sence in a WW I mod.
Warfare back then was pretty static and all about wave attacks against trenches followed by counterattacks with nearly the same tactics.
So it's basically like Lyes Krovy with even better dug in defenders and attackers that get mowed down by MGs wave after wave.
Don't get me wrong I appreciate the work and for sure would give it a try but I don't think that WWI is such a great backround for a online FPS. That whole war was about bombing the terrain until it was a flat plain with a few craters and then send in waves of infantery. Nothing interesting like city warfare or combined arms. Woods usually were destroyed within hours leaving no trees standing same can be said about villages or smaller cities so even the maps would look all the same.
To cut a long story short, there are "more interesting" wars for a FPS/mod.

Upvote 0
Warfare back then was pretty static and all about wave attacks against trenches followed by counterattacks with nearly the same tactics.
So it's basically like Lyes Krovy with even better dug in defenders and attackers that get mowed down by MGs wave after wave.
Don't get me wrong I appreciate the work and for sure would give it a try but I don't think that WWI is such a great backround for a online FPS. That whole war was about bombing the terrain until it was a flat plain with a few craters and then send in waves of infantery. Nothing interesting like city warfare or combined arms. Woods usually were destroyed within hours leaving no trees standing same can be said about villages or smaller cities so even the maps would look all the same.

everyone is doing what he thinks will work and what he likes. If you dont like it, dont play it, if you want something else, do it. I for one, will for sure give this a try. WW1 is way underated imo.

If I can help you with hints or at solving certain problems let me know.

Upvote 0

That is a very simplified view on WWI and only have true. It was still a World War and it lasted for four whole years, thousands of battles were fought and not only Trench Battles.

And looking very far into the future this scenario would offer a reasonible apperance of planes (or Zepplins?) because in WWI the planes were a lot slower than in WWII they actually could work.

Upvote 0
That is a very simplified view on WWI and only have true. It was still a World War and it lasted for four whole years, thousands of battles were fought and not only Trench Battles.

The view is simplified cause I didn't want to write an essay about that war, of course I could have wrote more -I'm pretty interested in European history from 1800 up to now so yeah I could have wrote more-, but nonetheless at least 85% of that war was a bloody trenchline warfare.
Just watch the course of the frontiers over those 4 years and you'll see that they didn't move that much. And if you stay at the same place for a long time you've got enough time to build trenches. And trenches make small charges without any artillery bombardment useless if you don't have any transports.
And guess what? The things which offered mobility either were outdated -ever read any accounts about cavalry charges against MGs?- or weren't as efficient as they are nowadays -tanks/armored cars.
WWI was horrible because it was trenchline warfare whith massive losses for a few hundred meters. It was trenchline warfare in the Alps -quiet interesting to read about by the way- it was trenchline warfare in France and it was trenchline warfare in Africa. Prolly not in the dessert or at the Russian Turkish frontiert but I'm quiet sure about the rest. At the beginning there might have been some open battles but at the end both sides were dug in and just tried to get an advantage by throwing more material -guns and men- into the battle or using new technologies like tanks or gas -well gas is actually not a new technologie.

But like I said before I appreciate the effort and time spent for each mod and I'm for sure gonna give it a try.
What I'm aiming at is that I think it might be pretty focused on one type of gameplay if you want it as realistic as possible and thus might lead into fewer player and this might be dissappointing for the modders. Though I'm glad if the opposite can be proofen!
Oh and by the way even those slow moving planes would need larger maps then the RO standard ones.

Upvote 0
The view is simplified cause I didn't want to write an essay about that war, of course I could have wrote more -I'm pretty interested in European history from 1800 up to now so yeah I could have wrote more-, but nonetheless at least 85% of that war was a bloody trenchline warfare.
Just watch the course of the frontiers over those 4 years and you'll see that they didn't move that much. And if you stay at the same place for a long time you've got enough time to build trenches. And trenches make small charges without any artillery bombardment useless if you don't have any transports.
And guess what? The things which offered mobility either were outdated -ever read any accounts about cavalry charges against MGs?- or weren't as efficient as they are nowadays -tanks/armored cars.
WWI was horrible because it was trenchline warfare whith massive losses for a few hundred meters. It was trenchline warfare in the Alps -quiet interesting to read about by the way- it was trenchline warfare in France and it was trenchline warfare in Africa. Prolly not in the dessert or at the Russian Turkish frontiert but I'm quiet sure about the rest. At the beginning there might have been some open battles but at the end both sides were dug in and just tried to get an advantage by throwing more material -guns and men- into the battle or using new technologies like tanks or gas -well gas is actually not a new technologie.

But like I said before I appreciate the effort and time spent for each mod and I'm for sure gonna give it a try.
What I'm aiming at is that I think it might be pretty focused on one type of gameplay if you want it as realistic as possible and thus might lead into fewer player and this might be dissappointing for the modders. Though I'm glad if the opposite can be proofen!
Oh and by the way even those slow moving planes would need larger maps then the RO standard ones.
There was enough movement to make a game out of, even in the worst stalemate situations. Just because there wasn't vast movements over 100 of miles doesn't mean that you cant make a pretty awesome infantry map. The whole generalization that troops would attack out of their trenches in the morning, and return to the same trench in the afternoon with 90% of their guys dead or dying is, for the most, wrong. Frontline trenches would often fall to the attackers. And by 1917 for German tactics to be most effective is was required that an attacker advance past the first few lightly defended trenches into a killing zone.

Upvote 0
The idea of many people have of everybody being in a front line trench never moving is wrong.

1917-1918 some stroom trooper, infiltration, defense in depth, and the adoption of many other doctrines which were used effectively in WWII.

The Eastern front, for various reasons, never went to the trench warfare state. I think the Russians just did not have the right weapons, the germans just not the manpower, and the terrain and soil all prevented trench warfare, but it all still stayed in Poland.

It really depends on the year whats going on. 1914 of course had about a month or so of mobility. 1918 also had some mobility. In between you had 1916's Somme, which did see some breakthroughs in the south, just failure to exploit.

Besides that, well you could just as easily look at World War II. There was a whole Eastern Front in 42, yet Stalingrad is the only thing people look at. There were attacks in other sectors (Operation Mars) but they fizzled out to quickly. From Spring of 1942 to Kirsk, you also see not much going on.

I want to make a quick comparison to. Basovka has a heavily held trench, with Machine Gun Fire and Artillery. Sure, its not a fancy trench system, but not every trench in WWI was. The Germans have no tank support. The Russians have PPSHs (and one semi-auto) but they do not play an important factor in keeping the germans from getting in. In both WWI and WWII the trouble was always getting into the trench, not the actual fight for the trench (which was largely a matter of nades, something the Germans do not lack in Basovka.)

If you were imagine it was the German 1918 offensive, well the Germans had SMGs, Bolts, Stick nades, and HMGs (they didn't have LMGs like one sees in Basovka, but they had semi-mobile HMGs that could fit the role the MG-34 is used for.) The Russians have bolts, Semi-autos, SMGs, LMGS, nades, artillery. The arguement here would be if the French/English/Americans had SMGs and Semi-autos. Collectively (not sure about if any one though) I think they had all three.

The distances the Germans run from when they are exposed to when they come under fire are probably slightly shorter than WWI would see, but not infeasible.

The other two objectives represent defense in depth, in WWI they would probably be a second trench line, but the command center is actually the rear area of the same trench system, so its hard to say.

I say since Basovka can work, a WWI map can work.

Soldiers in WWI could take trenches (although it was hard.) The problem was keeping them, and making further breakthroughs, in any kind of way that changes the war, since moving forward 100 meters just doesn't do **** in a World War.

World War 1 Online therefore would probably be a very boring game, because while stuff would sometimes happen, in the end probably not much. (I guess it would matter if players were allowed to control diplomacy, which could have changed a lot.) However, at the level RO is at, a WWI mod could be very interesting.

I hope you guys give the Germans trench spades as a melee weapon though.

Edit: Were rifle nades really that common in WWI. While it could be a cool feature, if they weren't common in the War, I hope they are rather limited in game. Every game I see them in, they are never used for their designed purpose, and just exploited like a quake type grenade launcher.

Upvote 0
The whole generalization that troops would attack out of their trenches in the morning, and return to the same trench in the afternoon with 90% of their guys dead or dying is, for the most, wrong.

Did I claim that in any way? All I said was that the war was pretty static and reaching the next trench with compareable high losses is nothing I would call a great movement of the frontier... Of course there were slight advantages but they basically were about the same, getting into trenches and melee/nade spam the enemy.
The problem of that war was that both sides didn't have any idea of how to get past the new weapons and the massive amounts in which they were used as there never was a compareable war before.

Upvote 0
Don't worry there's a vast amount of different scenarios within the first world war, it's not going to be all just running at enemy trenches. However even if we just have trenches, there not going to be two straight parrelel ditches with nothing inbetween, WW1 Fortifications ran a huge gamut from the ubiquitous trench, observation posts, concrete bunkers and many more.

There's also the early open battles of the 'race to the sea' house to house fighting, night fighting, trench raids and others.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.