• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Internet Dies on Server Refresh...

DiedTrying

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
USA Prime Credit
I have no idea why it does this. I refresh server list and nothing pops up as usual just like the beta. So I have to close the game, and in the meantime I check some websites and my internet won't work. I have to restart my modem...then I get back on steam then back into the game, and hope the server browser works so I don't have to do it all over again....

Hello that happens with some routers , most games nowadays have some method of freshing the list slower so it won't cause that problem (steam games don't cause that problem anymore) .

If i use my router i get the same problem , fine with my modem , hopefully TWI can do something about it since sadly there are alot of routers that show this problem .

Upvote 0
OP, the problem is your router, 100% sure.

The server browser uses too many connections, I can assure you if you plug in your PC directly to the modem you will not have this problem.

Protip: If you have Verizon FiOS as your ISP, the default router they lend to you does not have this problem.
(Assuming you even live in the USA.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've had this happen with Steam's built-in server browser before. It was a router issue.
The router was a old linksys and wasn't built to handle the amount of traffic. The same thing would happen when downloading at high speeds..it would also only download at roughly our max speed. It also just couldn't handle our relatively-fast cable internet..me playing a game would cause everyone else's connection to slow to a complete and painful crawl.
Bought a D-link gaming router years ago and not one damn problem since.

Upvote 0