• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Insurgency Mod ... EPIC THREAD OF DOOM

Insurgency Mod ... EPIC THREAD OF DOOM

• It's Great! Check it out...NOW!!!

Votes: 55 26.6%
  • It's just OK -- worth downloading but...

Votes: 95 45.9%
  • It sucks buckets...

Votes: 57 27.5%

• Total voters
(On the other side of spectrum if probably Battlefield engine - modding it must be nightmarish experience, with absolutely no hope of support or getting a commercial contract once the job is done.)

Didn't the Mod team of the desert combat mod for BF1 got hired to work on BF2? IIRC, they split up again and work now on Frontlines: Fuel of War,

Upvote 0
It is true that Valve support their modders rather well. However, Epic definitely does too. Make-Something-Unreal contest anyone? Without the help of Epic, I'm sure we wouldn't have had RO:Ostfront.

Oh and by the way, someone from the INS team did actually get a job in the gaming industry (level design), he has to move from Germany to Sweden I believe. I forgot what company he will be working for. IMO the art department for INS are very talented, it's just that they need to fix its most basic things such as the movement and anti-smacktard stuff.

Modding for Source does have its advantages, but it doesn't have much to do with the engine itself. If your mod is at least halfway decent, you know it will have players (see: toss each other off comment).

Upvote 0
It is true that Valve support their modders rather well. However, Epic definitely does too. Make-Something-Unreal contest anyone? Without the help of Epic, I'm sure we wouldn't have had RO:Ostfront.

Oh and by the way, someone from the INS team did actually get a job in the gaming industry (level design), he has to move from Germany to Sweden I believe. I forgot what company he will be working for. IMO the art department for INS are very talented, it's just that they need to fix its most basic things such as the movement and anti-smacktard stuff.

Modding for Source does have its advantages, but it doesn't have much to do with the engine itself. If your mod is at least halfway decent, you know it will have players (see: toss each other off comment).

Sweden? I bet it's DICE :F

Upvote 0
Because GRAW has cramped, linear maps too?:D

Well, INS is basically like a modern-day RO already, so....

Yeah, 'like'.
But it's not :p
I'm not trying to bash here or anything, but i cant stand playing the maps in Insurgency. It's all chokepoint after chokepoint, and that just does not work with tactical gameplay.
It does have potential for tactics, but when you put in chokepoint after chokepoint it's just 'move forward' all the time, no flanking, no whatever.
Just click teh pretty pixel before teh pretty pixel clicks on you, or throws a grenade your way to dislodge you from your standard defence point :D

Upvote 0
Yeah I know, I meant that INS is much like RO in the sense that both have objective-based gameplay, and that both strive for realism. RO achieves better realism of course. Linearity is fine in multiplayer, not a problem. But at least give us multiple routes to the objectives. INS hardly does that.

Oh and GRAW realistic? Lel! (I know GRAW had bigger maps but most of them were pretty cramped... )

Upvote 0
Oh and GRAW realistic? Lel! (I know GRAW had bigger maps but most of them were pretty cramped... )

GRAW2 (that's TWO). GRAW1 was pretty mediocre, GRAW2 is huge improvement, especially in MP.

I think I put "realism" in quotations, as I usually do, because I tend to avoid "realism" discussions. Like RO, GRAW2 is not ultimately realistic, but it works for me.

Realism in games for me means - "whatever makes me act as if on a real battlefield". With that in mind I'd say GRAW2 MP is among the most realistic games I ever played. Now please don't start about ballistics, health model or enemy indicators. All that is secondary if game manages to make me act as if I am in real combat (sorta). In that segment GRAW2 works.

Upvote 0