• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Insurgency 2 - Kickstarter

I always liked Jeremy. Will support this. I would have liked a bit more ambition with the scope however. This is basically "Insurgency HD".

And speaking of the engine, what is it? I couldn't find it on the KS page.

Going to read this through myself. I liked INS, though the internal developer struggle (as I understood it and Majoris claimed [INS mapper/dev]) puts me off. Though if this is firmly in Blum's hands I have confidence.

Perhaps this will be the RO2 or INS I was always looking for.

Edit: Read through the page. Seems like it is a bit rushed. Essentially they have the gameplay down and have it in a stable state, and are going to put the money mainly into graphics.

They claim it will be based around smaller maps that are more linear. This is a huge step backwards. I was looking for more maps like Sinjar, not small maps.

Their stretch goals are rather high as well. $100,000 more for two maps and four weapons? And upgradable weapons for each round? No more class restrictions for the USMC? Honestly seems like they are dumbing down the game or trying to get a quick money grab.

I might have to pass up this Kickstarter even though I liked INS.

Engine wise, they claim most of the code is from Beta 1. Consider that and the graphics, I am going with Source. Good news is the graphics look rather decent still and it will be ease to max out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Going to read this through myself. I liked INS, though the internal developer struggle (as I understood it and Majoris claimed [INS mapper/dev]) puts me off. Though if this is firmly in Blum's hands I have confidence.

Perhaps this will be the RO2 or INS I was always looking for.

Edit: Read through the page. Seems like it is a bit rushed. Essentially they have the gameplay down and have it in a stable state, and are going to put the money mainly into graphics.

They claim it will be based around smaller maps that are more linear. This is a huge step backwards. I was looking for more maps like Sinjar, not small maps.

Their stretch goals are rather high as well. $100,000 more for two maps and four weapons? And upgradable weapons for each round? No more class restrictions for the USMC? Honestly seems like they are dumbing down the game or trying to get a quick money grab.

I might have to pass up this Kickstarter even though I liked INS.

Engine wise, they claim most of the code is from Beta 1. Consider that and the graphics, I am going with Source. Good news is the graphics look rather decent still and it will be ease to max out.

I think you nailed all of my initial concerns Flogger. I don't see anything here that builds on Insurgency which is now half a decade old. It's a repackaging with even less ambition than the mod. And as you said, those stretch goals make no sense. With that said, $15 for a refined Insurgency is probably worth it.

Upvote 0
I think you nailed all of my initial concerns Flogger. I don't see anything here that builds on Insurgency which is now half a decade old. It's a repackaging with even less ambition than the mod. And as you said, those stretch goals make no sense. With that said, $15 for a refined Insurgency is probably worth it.

I'll wait and see if they post more gameplay videos and explain a little more about the game. I would not mind giving a bit of money for a modern INS with some improvements but if it is indeed more mainstream with "modes for the hardcore fanbase" then it will be another RO2 as far as I am concerned. And I have no time (or HDD space :p) for such a game.

Upvote 0
It runs on the most recent Source Engine, the one that Left 4 Dead 2 uses. Which is actually a pretty decent engine and will have alot more bits to fiddle with compared to previous Source versions.

I loved the first one, was with it for a good number of years. The current Alpha / Beta videos do make the gameplay seem quite abit faster, but they're taking community input, so maybe they'll pull it back a little, and hopefully, the characters movement won't be as floaty as it was before. :p

Upvote 0