• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Inspirational photography of Russia

9.jpg

That reminds me strongly of Arad.

Upvote 0
Best to use 5+ images, the more you have with finer stop difference the more you can modify the merge to keep all the detail you saw. The first photo in that series doesnt look anything close to natural. Like I say though, plenty of the others are very nice.

It really depends on the situation. More isn't actually better all the time.

I learned that 3 images is enough (-2,0,+2) in the most scenarios.

Upvote 0
The problem with PSing a single image is it takes a huge amount of time to get it to look convincing. also it won't be true HDR as you simply do not have the dynamic range available in a single exposure. Damned digital exposure latitude!

Say you expose for the sky and then want to bring back the detail in the trees on one of these Russian landscapes. There are a hundred and one ways of doing it but take a common one of duplicating the image as a new layer, playing with curves and then erasing the sky - you need to be very precise in your attention to the tree line. Its an area where having a gamer mouse really helps :)

HDR takes all that tedious zoomed in work out. I still advise using as many exposures as you can - there is nothing to be lost in this process unless you've got fast moving clouds in your scene and can't afford to take too long snapping. The 3 exposure approach is easy as any camera can be bracketed so you can potentially do the scene in a very short time. If its a still day, or probably more usefully if you're shooting an interior - take 5, 7, 9 exposures. It all adds up to a richer scene and if it looks better with 3, just don't include the intermediate steps in the merge.

Upvote 0
so what, can you take any image you have, alter the brightnes in photoshop and create your own HDR image or do you really have to take each single picture manually?

Some (the better ones :) ) cameras can do that automatically, you basically tell the camera make x shots with these exposures.

Then you throw the images into a software to create a HDR image. Photoshop has this function since CS2 iirc, but it really sucks.

90% of the time you get an hdr image which looks really ****ty, the reason is simple: your monitor can't handle it :)

The most common thing is using tone mapping or a detail enhancer, depending on the image, one of them will do the job.

HDR takes all that tedious zoomed in work out. I still advise using as many exposures as you can - there is nothing to be lost in this process unless you've got fast moving clouds in your scene and can't afford to take too long snapping. The 3 exposure approach is easy as any camera can be bracketed so you can potentially do the scene in a very short time. If its a still day, or probably more usefully if you're shooting an interior - take 5, 7, 9 exposures. It all adds up to a richer scene and if it looks better with 3, just don't include the intermediate steps in the merge.

You are right, it does not hurt to take more images, but most of the time it isn't necessary.

Upvote 0
Some (the better ones :) ) cameras can do that automatically, you basically tell the camera make x shots with these exposures.

Then you throw the images into a software to create a HDR image. Photoshop has this function since CS2 iirc, but it really sucks.

90% of the time you get an hdr image which looks really ****ty, the reason is simple: your monitor can't handle it :)

The most common thing is using tone mapping or a detail enhancer, depending on the image, one of them will do the job.

You are right, it does not hurt to take more images, but most of the time it isn't necessary.

And it's finnicky. I for the life of me can't do an HDR image to save my life...yet I'm a pro. Zekky here sits at a desk all day, and can kick my @ss. :p

Upvote 0

Photoshop CS3 extended's HDR function sucks and HDR images looks ****ty? Never had a problem with it :p. All of the other HDR functions are really cool too. 3 exposures is ok but a pic with a lot of tonal values 5 or 6 is better. All depends on what you want to do with it (size, format and media of pic) and how detailed it has to be.

Upvote 0