• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Insane argument about Steam's new UI

When I got the Steam beta, 2 things I liked immediately...

1) When you click on a game in your list, game art work comes up in the background as well as everyone playing that game, and everyone who owns that game. Makes viewing what your friends are doing a hell of alot easier when trying to get a game going.

2) Whenever someone messages you the message tone is ALOT less harsh.

I did get lost for a little bit trying to find where everything was, but it took me like 1 day to get used to it, and I'm much happier with it over the old one.

People just like to complain I guess :)

Upvote 0
Why I havent noticed any chance apart from the store o_O? Everything else looks the same to me.

But yeah, the reason why so many people say the new stuff is ****, wether its new skin for steam or something else, is because they were so used on the old one. But, give it a while and most of them realize its actually better.

It happens in real life too, if your friends always knew you as a bearded guy and you suddenly shave it all off, most of them think you look strange or even stupid, no matter if it actually looks better :p. Give it a month or two and people get used to it. If they always knew you without the beard, they would most likely think you look stupid WITH a beard lol. Its funny actually.

Upvote 0
Why I havent noticed any chance apart from the store o_O? Everything else looks the same to me.

But yeah, the reason why so many people say the new stuff is ****, wether its new skin for steam or something else, is because they were so used on the old one. But, give it a while and most of them realize its actually better.

It happens in real life too, if your friends always knew you as a bearded guy and you suddenly shave it all off, most of them think you look strange or even stupid, no matter if it actually looks better :p. Give it a month or two and people get used to it. If they always knew you without the beard, they would most likely think you look stupid WITH a beard lol. Its funny actually.

Tell me about it :D.

Upvote 0
In a lot of ways its better regarding looks and being able to see what friends play what game. But I think everything looks too, it would be nice like with an internet web page if things could be displayed at a smaller size.

I continuously have the urge to use control and - to change the size. The new layout uses more screen to display less info. If i go to the store page I need to scroll down to see deals etc.

I would prefer everything to be 75% or so of the current size. Its like the new navigation is made to use it on a couch from a far distance rather than on a desk behind my pc. It feels like I'm running my computer at a cramped 800x600 resolution when navigating through steam. I nearly get claustrophobic I need my desktop space.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The new UI is nice and few new features are ok, but otherwise it looks like someone just gave 10 year old kid 10 pounds of sugar, crack and speed and locked him (or her) up in a room with a PC and photoshop in terms of overall layout and organisation, as despite being 'ugly' the old UI had the courtesy of being convenient about regarding things.

After a day it's not as bad as I initially reacted, but Zetsumei's complaint about being too big is probably the biggest issue for the moment. For everything else one can get used to eventually.

Upvote 0
The new UI is nice and few new features are ok, but otherwise it looks like someone just gave 10 year old kid 10 pounds of sugar, crack and speed and locked him (or her) up in a room with a PC and photoshop in terms of overall layout and organisation, as despite being 'ugly' the old UI had the courtesy of being convenient about regarding things.

After a day it's not as bad as I initially reacted, but Zetsumei's complaint about being too big is probably the biggest issue for the moment. For everything else one can get used to eventually.

use the much improved "mini Mode"

Upvote 0
Much prefer the old Games menu, everything else looks like an improvement. I just don't like the fact that half my games are blank blue panels, as I tend to prefer mods to retail games.

In the old Steam you had blank panels just the same as now, unless you used a custom skin.
So it hasnt changed much in that aspect, right?

Upvote 0