• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Infiltration?

puenboy

Dec 16, 2011
I'm a new player, and in my first game all I did was crouch and sneak around under trains to avoid tanks on a bridge, and get 1 accidental teamkill because I had no idea about identification.

I mean, I'm not a good shot, and usually bad in a straight up fight and would always fire something like 1mm off target every shot before getting hit in the face. I find that running with the team at many times not great either. A bunch of people running outside usually attracts attention, which most of the time gets me killed.

Later, I had taken a different approach. I would take elite assault (usually an SVT40) and take the long way round, moving carefully from cover to cover through deserted areas far from the battleground. Then, I will whip around and hopefully take out a few enemies from behind before some lucky guy finds me and shoots my face off.

Doing this, I have sometimes found enemies hiding in those very deserted spots thinking that they were safe. For an instance, I was playing Russian elite assault and the Germans just counterattacked and captured a building and pushed us back, causing the commander to call a forced respawn.

While everyone ran across to the building under some smoke, I hesitated because in the previous life I was killed by a sniper up a building looking down at the place, so I waited for a while, before deciding to take a back road through a few houses. In the process, I found an enemy walking through a gate. Then a like-minded rifleman who flanked with me fired a shot, which missed and alerted the enemy turning him around.

However, I was lucky and fired off two shot. The first killed him, and even if it didn't the second would. Then I spent half a minute skirting around a few houses, around the attack point. It was open ground, so I ran across to the attack point/building. There was a German at the entrance, and we ran into each other in the corner. I had the quicker reaction and shot him at point blank range, for I don't have a bayonet.

I worked my way up the building, killing one more German in the main building, across a small corrugated iron bridge. I ran across the bridge, which put me 2nd to top floor from the main building. I walked up to the top floor, and met a German crouch-walking across the room, which I crouch-sprinted up to and rifle-butted, which miraculously killed him. (Didn't want to give my position away).

After realizing that the top 2 floors was clear, I ran to a window next to the rooftop of the building I was previously in, running into a German squad leader at close range, which again I shot. After that I lurked around for a while, feeling unsafe before getting shot from the place where I previously killed the squad leader. Luckily, I went prone in time to bandage myself.

A grenade followed, which I quickly ran into a corner to avoid. I tried to throw one back at him, but again, I am terrible at throwing grenades through windows, making it bounce back into the room. I ran back into the same corner to avoid the blast, before going back and peeking out of the window to see a German soldier, which I ducked away from because 1.) He was aware of my position 2.) he had an MP40. I was about to peek out again to shoot, but the game ended in a victory.

I suppose the question is, since everyone tells me to follow the team, but I am doing alright on my own, am I doing it right?

Maybe a Clan member would know best to answer your question, as they are the ones with most experience concerning tight knit teamwork. My humble opinion is that you seem to be one of those people who posses the trait to be at the right place at the right time.
Many times, but not always similar people tend to dominate the kill counts after a round and in my humble opinion they can be very useful at times. Such individuals can really mess up the defense of the enemy and by that help their own team to advance simply by creating havoc inside the defense perimeter of the enemy and by that creating a distraction.
I am myself usually one of those grinding forward with the squad im in( read cannon fodder :D). I think in the end a successful team is made of many kinds of people and there is not just one way to play the game.

Upvote 0
As long as what you're doing is helping the objective be capped, I say do whatever workds for you. A few "snipers" on a team is essential to cover the rest of the team's advance, but too many snipers removes all chance of a victory. I am going to give a few remarks, hopefully you're already following some or most of them but this is relevant anyway:

If you're going to be a lone-wolf Vasily Zaitsev wannabe, don't take a special class other than marksman if possible. Bolt-action rifles are a useful skill to have, since they make you better with most other weapons while keeping you sharp at the once class you're sure to have a chance at getting. You won't always find an empty elite/squad leader slot when you join a server. The other plus is that you leave semi-autos to the guys who need it and get up-close and personal. Like I said, what you're doing is useful, but if you're taking the team's best gear you're less likely to be worth it.

Be sure you're pointing at the objective. No matter how many enemies you kill, if you're not making it easier to reach the objective or if the enemies you encounter aren't anywhere useful to them, then you're being the worst kind of killwhore. When you get the chance, creep towards the obejctive.

Don't give up on assaulting. One day you'll find that you entered a server where too many players are crowding the sniper spots trying to rack up kills. Don't be like them. I don't know how long you've been at it, but it's supposed to take a while to get good at advancing on one of the more direct paths. I used to find Fallen Fighters frustrating, but it felt good when I finally realized that I had been crossing the square directly the last 5 times like it was a walk in the park. Don't get discourage. Go as slowly as you like, you don't have to reach the enemy in one sprint. Use allies to gauge enemy fire, and don't hesitate to wait for backup. Better to wait 30 seconds for a fresh wave of teammates than to die alone and let your friends die alone while you're waiting to spawn.

Finally, to help you as a rifle, it's good to remember your role. You form the bulk of the team, but you shouldn't be the first one in an assault. Wait for the submachine gunners to go, then once they've been in there for a few seconds, move up. Oh, and unlock bayonets on your bolt-action rifles as fast as possible. It made me fearless.

Upvote 0
Infiltration and flanking are my favorite tactics when playing assault. On a small map like Apartments running through smoke and getting into that central building put you in a position to murder a lot of germans from behind. Most of them are busy firing through the windows at the bridges, so a sneaky walk up and a headshot keeps them guessing as to where I am and it also gets some fire off the guys assaulting over the bridges.

Easier said than done but a sneak attack can be a lot of fun.

Upvote 0
That would be nice, especially that we have silenced nagant pistol, though the devs could implement a new game mod, like having saboteurs packed with explosives and silenced guns, who need to bring down some objectives, easy to implement but also fun.

I believe that was the original intention of the UT2003 Mod, thus the name Red Orchestra. It was supposed to be a kind of espionage type game, but changed to what we know it as now.... while the name remained.

Back to the OP, you do whatever the hell you want. Everybody has their own tactics, be that working with the team, playing defense, offense, support, going at it alone..... so long as you're dropping a number of enemies (taking out ones flanking your team, officers, MG's, Marksman, etc.) then you're helping your team, as that's a few less problems they have to deal with and makes their job a lot easier.

When you become one of those guys with a bolt rifle sitting back at spawn and plinking off a small handful of enemies through an entire match, there's a problem.

As a random tip... if you're going to be behind enemy lines and sneaking around, grab a weapon from one of your victims.... using an enemy's weapon on your enemies makes it more difficult to figure out there's actually an enemy nearby as they only hear their own team's weapons like normal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As a random tip... if you're going to be behind enemy lines and sneaking around, grab a weapon from one of your victims.... using an enemy's weapon on your enemies makes it more difficult to figure out there's actually an enemy nearby as they only hear their own team's weapons like normal.

Or. if you've levelled up enough in a class, carry an enemy weapon from the outset..

I'm getting the Mosin-Nagant levelled up quite nicely while playing as the Axis.. If only I could get my assault trooper class up to the next level then I'd be able to get the PPSh-41 n'all.. :D

Upvote 0