• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Infantry Tactics

Capmatt

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2006
Florida, USofA
Well, this part of the forum seems pretty anemic. So I thought I would start something here. Cant have a Tank tactics thread without out an Infantry tactics thread! ;)

So here are some tips and some of the techniques I use while playing as infantry I think that might help you.

These are geared more towards novice players, so you more expirienced grunts probably wont gain much from this.

CAUTION: I AM BY NO MEANS AN AUTHORITY ON RO INFANTRY TACTICS. SO PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS SACRED, CONTRIBUTE!
I am just putting this up to take up space and until someone comes up with something better.
:D

GENERAL TACTICS

1) As with anything in life, COMMUNICATION IS KEY!
I know its hard to do, particularly because of the nature of the game itself and especially if you dont have Team Speak or a micrphone, for that matter. Which leads to....

2)Team work.
Im guilty of not doing this too (especially when things get fast). But covering each other while advancing, calling out the enemy when you see them and pointing them out (tracers help with this) will help you acheive objectives and ultimately win.

3)Advance!
Nature abhores a vacuum. If the enemy is eliminated or falls back, take up the empty space. Of course be careful but advancing is the only way to win.

4)Move laterally!
If you are going to advance, dont run DIRECTLY at a KNOWN enemy position. Move left or right of the enemies position. If you run directly at the enemy, it really is no different than if you are just standing there. BUT, if you move laterally you become a more difficult target to hit. But you have to SPRINT!

5) Cover!
If you are not moving, use cover when you can. That means hide behind stuff. Dont just stand there "Fat, Dumb and Happy". While standing in the open, you are taking the chance the enemy is a bad shot...THATS BAD!
It is best to combine 3 with 5.

TIPS

1)AIMING (I will probably need some help here)

IMPORTANT!
Apparently, RO uses a very accurate bullet ballistics model. This is important to realize. That means when the bullet is fired the bullet does NOT travel in a straight line like a laser beam. The bullet will "arc", or drop, when shot long distances. This is suppose represent the effects gravity of gravity on the bullet. So if you are presented the opportnity to shoot longer distances you will have to aim higher.

THE SIGHT PICTURE
When you look down the sights you will see the front sight (post) and the rear sight. Your sights will already be lined up for you. All you need to do is put the tip of your front sight on the target you want to shoot. But dont wait too long or your gun will start to sway, throwing off your sight picture.

HIPSHOOTING
When you bring your weapon up to your shoulder to aim and hold it there your soldier will start to get tired after a while and the weapon will sway. Keeping the weapon by your hip does not tire your soldier out.

Although hipshooting is not as accurate as using the iron sights, you may not have a choice but to hipshoot when an enemy pops out in front of you.

Your weapon will not always be pointed at the center of your monitor. So putting your target in the center of your screen will not always work. It just takes practice. After a while you get a feel for hipshooting.
Works better at closer ranges.

LAYING DOWN (Going prone)
When you aim it is best to laydown, if you can. It provides you with the most stability and your gun wont sway as much. Not only that but you become a smaller target and are able to use smaller cover too.

KNEELING
This is the second best way to aim. Kneeling provides you better stability than standing, but, going prone is still the best. Your soldier will start to sway some from holding the rifle up. However, you can aim out of some windows while kneeling, thus presenting a smaller target.
Sometimes while on the move an enemy will pop up in front of you and there will be no time to go prone so kneeling is your best alternative.

STANDING
Aiming while standing is the most tedious on the soldier. The longer the soldier aims while standing the more tired he will become. When the soldier becomes tired his sight picture will sway makeing it difficult to hit a target. If you lower your rifle for a short period and let the soldier rest, the swaying will go away once you take aim again, but, it will return again after a while.

Continued due to limits on pictures...

Last edited:
2)SHOOT FROM COVER
When you are aiming at someone it is best to expose as little of yourself as possible. Try to just present your head and the weapon you are using.

If you are in a building, dont just stand in the doorway or in an open window. If you do that you will give more people a chance to see and shoot at you.

Stand off to either side. It cuts down on the angles people can shoot at you.

The problem with shooting from cover is it limits visibility. You will not be able to see what is on the other side of the object you are hiding behind. It can work against you. So try to be aware of your surroundings.

3)THE WEAPONS:
Here are some things to consider when shooting the guns.

Here are the weapons from MOST accurate to LEAST accurate;
A)Bolt Action Rifles (K98, Mosin-Nagant)
B)Automatic Rifles (G43, STg44, STV44)
C)Machine Guns (MG) (MG34, MG42, DP1928)
D)Sub Machine Guns (SMG) (MP40, PPD1940, PPSH41, PPS43)
E)Pistols (Luger, P38, TT33)

The bolt action rifles and automatic rifles do not have a big difference in accuracy. But historically bolt action rifles were always considered most accurate. (I personally find it easier to hit targets with bolt action rifles in game, particularly at longer distances).
On that note, there really is no difference in MG's and Auto-Rifles either, if used properly.

IMPORTANT!
All weapons modeled in this game follow what I like to call a "cone of dispersion" (for lack of a better term). What that means is if you were able to hold a gun perfectly still while shooting it, despite that, not every bullet will travel in the exact same path the bullet before it traveled. So the shots will land in different spots on the target.

For example; at 25 meters, pistols will have a wider cone of dispersion than the SMG. And the SMG will have a wider cone of dispersion over auto-rifles at 100 meters, etc...

The point is you may not be able to hit some targets with SMGs that you might be able to hit with a bolt action rifle.

USING THE SMG and MG
The SMGs and MG's are fun to shoot, sound cool and the MG's make pretty colors. But when aiming at something far away and on fully automatic, they are useless...unless used properly.

Because of recoil and barrel twist, the barrel of SMGs will rise and move to the right causing your shots to go high and to the right of your target. And because of vibration and recoil your MG's will rise and shake some. Making every shot after the first shot inaccurate. And because fully-automatic weapons tend to go through ammunition very fast (particularly Russian SMGs and the MG42), you will be out of ammo before you know it.
Dont rely on "Spray and Pray" tactics.
The best thing to do is use very short bursts. Just tap the trigger. Thats all you need.

Thats pretty much all I have. I could go on but I dont want to appear a know it all, and I am tired of sitting in front of the computer.

Im getting vahklempt....talk amongst yourselves
;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A nice over view Capmatt :)

I've got one question for people though; are the guns (specifically rifles) setup to be zero-ed at a specific distance? I.e under a certain distance will the bullets hit above where the sights are pointed? I'm no gun expert but I know that at least some guns are set to do that, specifically those with teloscopic sights. I've never noticed this happening in RO (but i'm happy to blame some poor aiming on my part on it!! ;))

Sorry if this has been covered in past topics, i've never seen it covered.

Upvote 0
Thank you Llama.

That is a good question. I've always wondered that myself but never thought to ask.
According to the post below that should be the case.

14th reply from the top on the first page. The person who posted it is Radix.

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=612&highlight=zeroed

But you are right. That does not appear to be the case.

Bring the question up in the general forum.

Upvote 0
I just wanted to mention that covering fire actually works in 3.3. Probably not as well as in real life, but it can still help a lot.

Unfortunately, it's fairly hard to coordinate your team to actually use it. People need to communicate and trust each other.

What we've done a bit in BFE training is to have an MG, and a bunch of rifles set up to give covering fire (fire team), with mostly SMGs rushing to take an objective.

The main point is that the Fire team needs to prioritize volume/speed over accuracy. Their job is to keep the heads of the enemy down, so the assault team can get in and SMG them down. Their job is NOT to kill the enemy. When people are trying to directly kill the enemy, they take too much time to aim and don't provide enough fire to supress.

But to ensure that the enemy doesn't just decide to stay out of cover, it's a good idea to have 1 or 2 riflemen actually aiming to kill.

The assault team needs to gather as close to the objective/building as possible while still behind cover. On a signal, the Fire team opens up then the assault team rushes.

At best the enemy will be supressed or killed, and at worst the fire team may provide a tempting distraction for the enemy to fire at, instead of the assault team.

I have a feeling supression will work better in ROOST.

Upvote 0
UncleDrax said:
Keep in mind when reading CapMatt's excellent advice, he doesn't talk about Leaning, Rifle-Resting, and peeking-up when in Iron Sights.. (all advertised features of RO:OstFront)..

All of greatly add to the basics that CapMatt has already covered here :]

Interesting. I missed the "peeking-up when in IS." I hope that's also implemented for MGs, as the tracers will be much handier, and aiming accuracy might be better as the IS aren't all jiggly.

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
Oh snap! Drax *baleeted to protect the innocent*

anyway, very nice, I suspect that this will change appriciably with the new movement systems in ROO

It was clarified that the "peeking up" was the raising from crouched when behind cover, when you go to IS.

But I'd still love it if you deployed your MG looking over the barrel, can fire, and can go to IS.

Upvote 0
That's a lot of good points, Capmatt.
Here are a couple more:

A rifleman should always attach the bayonet as soon as possible. It can be just as quick and deadly as a hipshot at close range. Using the bayo saves on ammo and time (no need to auto-bolt), and doesn't broadcast your presence to nearby enemies.

If you've been in position for a few shots, whether capping or covering or whatever, it's often a good idea to shoot your remaining shot(s) and reload before advancing. Moving up into a firefight only to be forced to reload in one or two shots is frustrating, if not fatal.

I'd like to add emphasis to a couple of Capmatt's points. If there is no enemy in your immediate front then move forward. It's fun to pick people off at long range but you can't win without warm bodies in the cap zone. I probably die more than I should by being more aggressive than a rifleman should be but I know I also help take objectives by being in close support of the SMGers.

Cover fire does work. Not as well as in real life, I'm sure, but it does work. Snipers don't like to peek out windows and MGs have a hard time moving into position if their intended locations have bullets flying through them.

Upvote 0
As far as "covering" someone, it does not have to be limited to laying down fire to keep the enemies head down. It can be used in close quarters too.
For instance, on some of the urban or villiage maps, just taking aim at windows, corners, rooves, doorways etc, etc, while a buddy (some buddies) moves up to a house or corner is good enough. So that way if an unseen enemy pops up out of the window or comes around a corner you can take him out.

"Covering" has more than one meaning.

"Leapfrog" is a term that can describe this. Did anyone play the game "Leapfrog" as a kid? Meaning one kid hops over another kid's back who is kneeling down. Then the kid who just hopped over the kids back kneels down while the "hoppee" now becomes the "hopper" (for lack of a better term) and hops over the kneeling kids back. And the fun and frivolity continues (note sarcasm...but it WAS kind of fun as a five year old :D)

Well the same technique can be used in terms of covering and advancing. The person who was covering then advances past the person who is now covering him. So that he can cover the person who was covering him. Then on and on and on. It can be done with more than two people. It can be done with many people.
Of course, this takes practice.

Upvote 0
Capmatt said:
As far as "covering" someone, it does not have to be limited to laying down fire to keep the enemies head down. It can be used in close quarters too.
For instance, on some of the urban or villiage maps, just taking aim at windows, corners, rooves, doorways etc, etc, while a buddy (some buddies) moves up to a house or corner is good enough. So that way if an unseen enemy pops up out of the window or comes around a corner you can take him out.
Ah, THAT covering. I consider that to be my primary mission as a rifleman. There are a lot of people, even non-clan people in public games who use the leapfrog advance technique. It works well. Rather than having the entire front wave of an assault wiped out by a grenade or MG you may only have one or two casulties before the followers neutralize the threat.

Then there's always the satisfaction of killing an enemy while he's in close quarters combat with a teammate. I swear I've seen expressions of relief on some teammates faces when the guy they're toe-to-toe with gets shot and drops. :)

Upvote 0
Gomer Pyle said:
Then there's always the satisfaction of killing an enemy while he's in close quarters combat with a teammate. I swear I've seen expressions of relief on some teammates faces when the guy they're toe-to-toe with gets shot and drops. :)

Nothing beats the feeling of saving a teammate from certan death :). I've come really close to kill my team mate and instead save his life. Only TKed doing that once...:D

Upvote 0
Wonderful posts!! If you'll take a few more from an old Combat Engineer?

If your fire teams have one MG and two rifles for your base of fire, use the MG to keep their heads down and the rifles to shoot like you mean it.

In the clans, teams, squads, whatever the current RO slang is for player groupings, encourage folks to pair off, the same two in the same roles in each game if possible, so they get used to how each other play, move and fire. Then make up your "bounding overwatch" - fancy talk for leapfrog - with those teams.
Two guys make a pair; two pairs make a fire team; two fireteams make a squad; two squads make a platoon ... well, you get the idea.

No substitute for practicing together as a team a lot. In early WW2 Online, some "squads" would require players to pair off and a few actually kicked players off their "squad" if they didn't pair off and work together. Don't know if that's a good idea or not, but something to encourage it. Probably the second most important thing. The first is communicating in-game. Clear, short, informative. "2 Jerry, upstairs house, left window; mg" is worth more than all the friendly chatter in the world.

Try to organize tactically your infantry around the automatic weapons called for in the scenarios ... sorry; in the maps.

:D

Upvote 0
Nice posts... Many thanks.

I downloaded the Mod for UT2k3 last night in preparation for the release of RO:O in the coming weeks... I wanted to get in some practice as I haven't played RO before. The advice given in this thread will be valuable to my starting out.

I have been playing FPS games since computer systems developed enough to allow.... So, I aren't a complete n00b but to the RO scene I am. The game looks to be much more 'tactical' than some of the other FPS games I recently being playing (CS:S, DoD:S) so I look forward to a new challenge.

I love to 'snipe' and the game seems to offer some good opportunities for that...

Hopefully the wait for the full RO:O won't be too long... !!

Upvote 0