• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

INF Penetration mutator

As described on the Ideas and Suggestions thread already...

INF style projectile penetration mutator now available.

A playable version is made available here:
http://infiltration.sentrystudios.net/RO/INFPenetration.zip

ServerAdmins can edit the included ini file if needed. The variables should explain themselves actually:
[INFPenetration.INFPenetrationMut]
bDebugDamageMessage=False //debug damage messages will be send to you if you hit someone
WhipColRadius=25.0 // the new size of the problematic whipattachment
WhipColHeight=60.0

[INFPenetration.INFBullet]
bDebugMode=False //debug displays a lot of messages around the projectile penetration
bDebugROBallistics=False //RO debugmode, displays arrows at the hitlocations for debugging the projectiles flight paths
PenetrationScale=0.08 //general scaling factor for the projectile penetration depth
DistortionScale=0.4 //general scaling factor for the possible flight path distortion a projectile suffers while penetrating

[INFPenetration.INFClientBullet] and [INFPenetration.INFServerBullet]
...same values as INFBullet... if you change the above, change these too

For those interested in the sources:
http://infiltration.sentrystudios.net/RO/INFPenetration_classes.zip

For the case you wonder why some projectiles still will not hurt players that sit directly behind a wall.... read here.

can you put the version number in the filename next time, otherwise ppl with an older version will get a mismatch error ;)
The version number not used in the name is deliberate. Only admins have to update really so the clients get the mutator in the cache. As long as admins update, the client won't have any problem connecting. When clients install this mutator for offline use then they just have to check for the latest version themselves to prevent mismatches.

Something can be said for a mutator -with- version number and without, both are ok for me.

Upvote 0
Hirner, iirc there is some sort of mailing list for admins/dedicated servers etc. Can you post the link to this mutator there so that other admins install this on their server too? Surely more admins want this but don't know it exists.

We really need more servers to run this. I don't even want to play on servers not running it anymore.

Upvote 0
For the record, i played on a few servers running this mutator, sometimes with a full 32 players load and didn't notice anymore lag than on other non-penetration 32 player servers.

I hope a RO dev can supply geo and beppo with the information needed soon so that these guys can finish and finetune the code.

Upvote 0
I will say it again as I said in the other thread. (please Beppo don't take me wrong on this I want it to work as much as anyone)

The problems as I have experienced it is not preformance loss on the server side it is on the client side. I and others with me notice a significant FPS when this mutator is running.

(also mappers need to start making their maps properly setup for this mutator because currently it produces some bizzare results when it comes to penetration)

Upvote 0
Back in the days VAC caused FPS problems for some clients on some maps. Ofcourse this was for a different engine but nevertheless, this issue may be relevant for this engine now.

A way to test this is running the server without VAC and with InfPenetration. See if the clients performance issues dissapear then.

Upvote 0
I am getting the feeling the RO dev's don't take this mutator, or the information the Inf dev's requested, too seriously. Now i'm all for understanding that they are busy, that we can't expect them to jump when we say 'jump', that they have a life too and then some. But from what i can remember Beppo and Geo didn't ask for that much info, a copy / paste would be sufficient right? Since the other thread is now locked (maybe a merge would have been better seeing there was a lot of info in there what might be useful for a RO dev if they find the time to help out) i fear this is going nowhere anytime soon.

So yes, i'm calling for a dev to at least say; 'zip it zeep, we are planning to help this project out, the copy paste stuff is underway.'

Help us out gents.

Upvote 0
Ja, I am sorry - it was my bump that got it locked :(

(IBTL? :p)

ATM due to my education priorities (6 assignments due next week & final exams 1 week after :eek:) I cant really get a go at playing around with this mutator that much in the way that I want to.

I also want to *attempt* to make a map built specifically for this mutator also (hehe I'm not going to say that the map would be good though...)

Is anyone else out there currently mapping with this mutator & any possible map limitations in mind?

Upvote 0
I did not get an answer by geo (maybe his mail has been filtered out) so I can only "talk for" (at least what he wrote me) Beppo.
He is not interested in continueing this mutator anymore as he does not play the game at all.
And keep in mind that after more than a month there still has not been an answer to the question asked.

So I gonna release (maybe today in the afternoon, when my PC has an I-Net connection again ) a version that supports the new vehicles, nothing more as I can not code.

@WhiteMeat You do not need to map specifically for the mutator.
The only thing you and everyone else mapping should do is using the different material-settings provided by RO.

Edit: Ok, not today do not have internet at home atm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0