• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

In Game Voice Chat Investigation

We are investigating reports of remaining voice chat issues in game. Could you please provide us with the following:

What exactly is the issue you are experiencing?
Screenshots of windows audio settings (input & output, control panel)
Screenshot of Steam or Epic audio settings
Screenshot of RS2 in-game audio settings
Attach dxdiag (launch dxdiag.exe and export)

For these issues, additional unsupressed current logs would help.

A little manual on how to make logs unsupressed.
  1. To do so user has to change DefaultEngine.ini file in ROGame\Config directory: put ";" symbol in lines Suppress=DevOnlineStats and Suppress=DevOnlineSpam.
  2. Then after the match take logs from Steam client: \Documents\My Games\Rising Storm 2\ROGame\Logs Or EGS client: Documents\My Games\Rising Storm 2 EGS\ROGame\Logs
Don't forget to revert changes in DefaultEngine.ini after getting this logs!

Update:

We are working with Vivox to investigate these reports further. They have asked for the following information.
  • Locale
  • IP Address
  • Username Steam or Epic
Feel free to private message me the info.
First of all thanks for the Investigation. I love the game and play vividly for 2 years now.
My Experiences since the Updates:

When in doubt no audio output is going out. I have my mic set up corectly, it works in every other game/program
Some people (for what ever reason) seem to do just fine since i hear them talk in the Team chat (no local or squad chat tho since the updates)
I had a case where i was push-to-talk on my squad channel but the whole team heard it. i used that for a while. but all other channels didnt work for me. i had at least one teammate having the same issue.

My Push to talk Layout and my Settings have not been changed since i started the game 2 years ago.

I hope you can fix the issue in a timely matter. for a game that puts a good bit on teamwork it is crucial to have proper Comms.

Thanks!

Reactions: Wali22 and laffy
Upvote 0
As someone who's played a lot since the Epic Store update, here are my findings:

Ever since the update, VoIP has been highly inconsistent. Sometimes I can’t hear other players, sometimes they can’t hear me, and sometimes both happens. It varies between map to map, and sometimes things change DURING rounds. It also varies from person to person, as I’ve played rounds with friends who can hear me in local chat, but I can’t hear anybody else. And then by next map, the results are completely different. Sometimes people can hear enemy team chat as if it were going through their own team channel. Proximity chat seems to only half work. I can hear my teammates (on a lucky round when it decides to work), but I cannot hear enemies using proximity chat and I presume they cannot hear my team.

Really, it's a dice roll with each map. And like I've said before, sometimes things change in the middle of a round. Players I am able to hear at the beginning of a round could eventually become mute to me. Oddly enough, the microphone quality sounds slightly better than it used to, but obviously that isn't a worthy tradeoff at all.

I really don't know if providing logs is helping, because this seems to be happening for every player regardless of their audio setup. If you insist, I will try and provide logs next time I play. Here's to hoping this gets resolved as soon as possible, and we all thank you for your efforts!

Upvote 0
As someone who's played a lot since the Epic Store update, here are my findings:

Ever since the update, VoIP has been highly inconsistent. Sometimes I can’t hear other players, sometimes they can’t hear me, and sometimes both happens. It varies between map to map, and sometimes things change DURING rounds. It also varies from person to person, as I’ve played rounds with friends who can hear me in local chat, but I can’t hear anybody else. And then by next map, the results are completely different. Sometimes people can hear enemy team chat as if it were going through their own team channel. Proximity chat seems to only half work. I can hear my teammates (on a lucky round when it decides to work), but I cannot hear enemies using proximity chat and I presume they cannot hear my team.

Really, it's a dice roll with each map. And like I've said before, sometimes things change in the middle of a round. Players I am able to hear at the beginning of a round could eventually become mute to me. Oddly enough, the microphone quality sounds slightly better than it used to, but obviously that isn't a worthy tradeoff at all.

I really don't know if providing logs is helping, because this seems to be happening for every player regardless of their audio setup. If you insist, I will try and provide logs next time I play. Here's to hoping this gets resolved as soon as possible, and we all thank you for your efforts!

This is consistent with my experience. I have played the game since beta, and this is worse than the very first release.

For me, the MOST frustrating part is that Local (Proximity) Chat repeatedly pipes to the team chat. This ends up frustrating other players, and GREATLY reduces the usability of VOIP. On some servers it was very fun to "taunt" nearby enemies over the local chat, or misdirect them "accidentally" letting them hear a conversation. Now, the entire team can hear this, which is very annoying and not useful if you aren't within 15 meters.

I can handle players becoming mute (or myself to others), but when local ends up getting piped to everyone, it makes it entirely useless. This has nothing to do with logs or settings. This is universally complained about on the servers, and something needs to be done. My suggestion? Revert back to what it was. Nobody needed the update, so either fix it or revert. We've put a lot of time and money in here, so I hope whoever can make the decision will understand the disappointment everyone has, and feel some responsibility to fix it. I know moderators and even programmers might not be able to make this decision, so I do not mean ill.

This is a very complicated game, and I understand how easily a large project like this can quickly become unreliable for no understandable reason when one simple thing is altered. I hope you all can get it figured out, because it really does change the game experience, and frankly makes it tenfold worse. One of the best and most notable improvement over Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2 was proximity voice chat. Without that, it's a less reliable version of an old game.

Upvote 0
Hey yall I found a solution today for not being able to be heard. I posted it to reddit but I'll copy it here. Basically the game doesn't have a way to switch audio devices in the settings, so you have to manually do it in the INI. The audio settings that you can open right now are for steam, and as far as I can tell, it's completely irrelevant to the game. My reddit post is here.

The short version of it is you need to open ROEngine.ini (in the user config folder) and scroll down to
Code:
[VoiceInterfaceVivox.AudioDevicesList]
and
Code:
[VoiceInterfaceVivox.AudioDevicesIndex]

The one ending in List is a populated list of all your active microphones. The one ending in Index has a key for choosing which of the microphones from the list to choose. By default it always picks Microphone0 no matter what you do in-game in the settings. You can change the index number to the one corresponding to the mic you'd like to use. Once you do this you need to save and set the file as read-only (for some reason it would keep reverting if not). Then voip worked for me. To be clear, this won't fix hearing people from wrong servers and such, but it finally let me talk in-game after this last update.

If you can't figure out which microphone from the list is the one you want, you can check Device Manager > audio inputs and outputs > details > and select device instance path and you'll see the same string at the end of the value that will show up in the ini file. Pic for clarity
z58488ujsrw61.png

In the picture, the default SelectedIndex was set to 0. I switched it to 1 as that is the microphone I want to use. You can tell which microphone it is by the string at the end matching the device path found in device manager. The selectedindex from what I can tell will automatically revert back to 0 unless you set the file to read-only.

Upvote 0
Hey yall I found a solution today for not being able to be heard. I posted it to reddit but I'll copy it here. Basically the game doesn't have a way to switch audio devices in the settings, so you have to manually do it in the INI. The audio settings that you can open right now are for steam, and as far as I can tell, it's completely irrelevant to the game. My reddit post is here.

The short version of it is you need to open ROEngine.ini (in the user config folder) and scroll down to
Code:
[VoiceInterfaceVivox.AudioDevicesList]
and
Code:
[VoiceInterfaceVivox.AudioDevicesIndex]

The one ending in List is a populated list of all your active microphones. The one ending in Index has a key for choosing which of the microphones from the list to choose. By default it always picks Microphone0 no matter what you do in-game in the settings. You can change the index number to the one corresponding to the mic you'd like to use. Once you do this you need to save and set the file as read-only (for some reason it would keep reverting if not). Then voip worked for me. To be clear, this won't fix hearing people from wrong servers and such, but it finally let me talk in-game after this last update.

If you can't figure out which microphone from the list is the one you want, you can check Device Manager > audio inputs and outputs > details > and select device instance path and you'll see the same string at the end of the value that will show up in the ini file. Pic for clarity
z58488ujsrw61.png

In the picture, the default SelectedIndex was set to 0. I switched it to 1 as that is the microphone I want to use. You can tell which microphone it is by the string at the end matching the device path found in device manager. The selectedindex from what I can tell will automatically revert back to 0 unless you set the file to read-only.
Tried your suggestion but it's still ****ed-up. Getting hopeless now to play tactical without voice. BAH!

Upvote 0
Tried your suggestion but it's still ****ed-up. Getting hopeless now to play tactical without voice. BAH!
Did you remember to set it to read only? I'm pretty confident this should work. Also make sure that other programs can hear your mic (just to make sure it isn't the mic or some windows settings). How many microphones show up in your audiodeviceslist in the ini?

Upvote 0
Did you remember to set it to read only? I'm pretty confident this should work. Also make sure that other programs can hear your mic (just to make sure it isn't the mic or some windows settings). How many microphones show up in your audiodeviceslist in the ini?
3 mic's did show up and after disabling 2 of them under sound settings and selecting the only one left with the correct string in ROEngine.ini it still's not working. And yes ROEngine.ini was set to read-only before starting the game again.

This fix is a big mess and playing with a team is no fun no more. Using TS (teamspeak) doesn't cut it either because you can't communicate with other people on the server that are not on TS. So Tripwire please fix this POS fix you made!!!

Upvote 0
Thanks @Mechanite. This seemed to fix the issue for me. It appears there's a bug with their config management.
I'm actually surprised. Back when I wrote the little guide it worked for me fine but recently I was having more issues (after an update) and it won't work for me anymore - so I figured the method was outdated. Glad to know it still works for some people. Too bad it seems to be so inconsistent...

Upvote 0