• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Improved controls v1.0

Proud_God

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2005
Belgium
Since launch I've been tweaking the controls to my liking. The result is now a quite large autohotkey script. In my opinion, it falls in the catgory 'using existing controls to create control scheme that is more smooth and user-friendly'. So I most definately do not consider it cheating or exploiting. However, I won't share it without admin/dev approval, as I'm not sure I'm allowed to.

Movement Features:
- zoom and sprint split to different keys
- Tactical Display shows up while holding the sprint key. Reasoning: it's a good time to receive tactical info during sprint, as you're not aiming at stuff and hopefully moving towards objectives. This feature can be switched on/off on the fly.
- Pressing fire while sprinting will stop the sprint, thus allowing you to fire. No tactical display is shown to allow clear aiming. Once the fire button is released, the sprint is resumed.
- Walking key (already in the game)

General Weapon handling and zoom Features:
Provides a system with 2 levels of zoom and easy switching between them. The standard IS zoom (found in ROGame.ini) should be set to none or very little to fully differentiate the 2 zoom levels. The mouse wheel is used to control zooming levels as follows:
- when entering IS, there is almost no zoom, good for close quarters
- mousewheel-up brings you to a full zoom level + holding breath (no button holding required). Also a separate button on your keyboard is available to go into zoom state quickly
- mousewheel-down brings you to a no zoom again
- while in zoomed state, click mousewheel-up again to take another steady breath. This is only possible at an interval of 1.4 secs (this limit is already build into the game). Also this will issue a spot enemy command. Reason: since you're taking a deep breath again, it is very likely you have an enemy in your sights. Your teammates will be grateful for this information.
- The following functions ends the zoom and brings you to normal view again:
+ reload
+ entering / exiting IS
+ selecting a weapon (note: separate buttons should be used to select each weapon)
+ melee
+ prone
- Pressing fire while holding a weapon select key will throw away current weapon to quick select new weapon

LMG Features:
- pressing and holding IS while walking around will make you walk. This allows for better recoil handling.
- pressing prone will keep you crouched behind cover while deployed

static HMG Features:
- when using the HMG, 2 extra levels are added to the 2 general levels:
+ level 0: crouched behind HMG
+ level 1: unzoomed over the sights
+ level 2: zoomed over the sights
+ level 3: zoomed IS
Again, the levels are switched between with the mousewheel.
- when undeploying your HMG, you will always be in crouch

sniper Features:
- when using the sniper, 1 extra level is added to the 2 general levels:
+ level 1: unzoomed IS
+ level 2: zoomed IS
+ level 3: scope
Again, the levels are switched between with the mousewheel.

Various keybinds
Since I ran out of easily accessible keys to use, I added a few extra 'combos'
- IS + melee = drop weapon
- hold weapon key + fire = drop weapon, quick select new one
- mouse wheel down while not in zoom = to cover
- 1 button for both lean directions (in combination with strafe keys)

Hooah!

Edit: as no DEV or admin told me to stop this, it is now RELEASED: see attachment for script and install instructions
also added quick weapon select by dropping current weapon.

Edit2 : new version, bug fixes

Attachments

• Install.txt
    4.5 KB · Views: 0
  • RO_template.txt
    9.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I use something similar: My zoomscale is 0 for almost all weapons so I have peripheral vision while bringing up the gun.
Then with my thumb mouse button I zoom in completely.

Your setting might be better beause you dont have to hold anything to zoom and you dont really need to dial the range often so this can be set to keys.

Also I think the run and tactical display works well probably, will try it tomorrow

Upvote 0
A lot of excellent features there. I really like your MG handling fixes, plus the hold-T-while-sprinting feature.

If it helps your decision, I released a Autohotkey script a while ago to force momentary aim, crouch, prone and sprint, amongst other things. I don't think it's a very big deal to make a non-exploitive macro and then make it freely available to everyone who wants it.

Upvote 0
- Pressing fire while sprinting will stop the sprint, thus allowing you to fire. No tactical display is shown to allow clear aiming. Once the fire button is released, the sprint is resumed.

Instant sprint-stop-fire-sprint. It's the sort of unrealistic things the game is allowing, and I hate that, but if it's all into a single keypress it looks like a cheat to me.

Maraz

Upvote 0
Instant sprint-stop-fire-sprint. It's the sort of unrealistic things the game is allowing, and I hate that, but if it's all into a single keypress it looks like a cheat to me.

Maraz

you can alreay do this with IS, so I see no issue to also do this with hipfire. However, I would welcome an increased delay after sprinting to fire / IS, but this is just the way it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0