• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Improve pistols/machine-gun from RO

I agree that pistols in Ro:Ost were way to inaccurate. I mean, only at about 5m you got decent accuracy. At 25m even carefully aiming doesn't help - you just get bullet spread of about 2-3m. And that's absolutely not realistic. WW2 pistols had long enough barrels to shoot really accurately at 25m. People get 10/10 hits on a A4 sheet of paper @25m with ASG pistol replicas after all.

Reactions: wahoo4
Upvote 0
first of all, you want it to be more like call of duty. secondly, i didn't say i want it to be like arma 2. i said the tracer effects in arma 2 are a good example. learn to read.

my problem is not with the bouncing, but the behavior of the bouncing. looks way too droppy and slow.

Rewatching the videos, I'll add that too many of the tracers bounce in ROOST. I guess it depends on the target, but you would expect a lot of the bullets to get embedded in the target area, leading to less bouncing.

As I said, it depends on what you're firing at. You could expect near 100% of tracers bouncing off a tank, but a lot less when firing into a tree or a house.

Upvote 0
That's exactly the problem, if you make the pistols sound as impressive as possible, then where are you going to go from there?

20060607-spinaltap.jpg

But seriously, I find it odd to see anyone complaining about the pistols. I always found the pistols in RO surprisingly effective even at fairly decent ranges.

Upvote 0
I've hated the pistols for a long time and even made a thread at it.

At times putting my iron sights of a TT33 dead on someone's head a mere 4-5 meters away made the bullet miss his head. (I was actually standing behind him and he didn't know I was coming so I had plenty of time to aim).

For all I care make the sights of pistols slightly misaligned so you have to account for that, but pistols should at least work well enough indoors.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I actually have problems doing that. Dunno why, it's either the free-aim or mouse sensitivity, but it takes like 10 seconds for me to aim using a handgun.

And yes, handguns should be pretty accurate up to 25 meters.

Well if you're using your pistol you're probably in a desperate close quarters fight which means you are either moving or not rested or both, which means a huge amount of sway when trying to aim the pistol.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't have a problem with IS accuracy with pistols if TW:
A) kept hipshooting accuracy poor
B) added a weapon swap delay. There is nothing more frustrating than having a pistol toting class spin around and magically and instantly swap from wielding a rifle/grenade/binocs/smg to a pistol. May as well include the insta-kill knife.....:mad:
Hipshooting isn't inherently inaccurate. Handguns do not become magically less accurate just because the sights are not lined up.

Only the shooter does. With compensation, and by lining up the barrel with the target, you can still strike a target. It's as reliable as you are. :troll:

Part of the reason I hate Call of Duty is that when shooting from the hip they resort to the same bullet deviation cone found in games like Halo. Tripwire has an actual ballistics sim, they might as well use it.

Upvote 0
I think the whole sound issue with the pistols completely depends on the caliber and where it's bieng fired from. I've shot plenty of different types of pistols at my local 25 yard range (indoors), and I can tell you 100% that in those concrete walled rooms a 1911 sounds like a god damned cannon going off in your ear. And that's with hearing protection on. On the other end of the spectrum, I've used my 9mm at an outdoor range a few times (much less then indoor) and I felt comfortable shooting it with ought plugs in. That's not to say it was quiet, but it definitely was not ear bursting sound like at the indoor range.

Yeah that would be cool if they could change the way a weapons sounds according to the environment.

Upvote 0
Hipshooting isn't inherently inaccurate. Handguns do not become magically less accurate just because the sights are not lined up.

Only the shooter does. With compensation, and by lining up the barrel with the target, you can still strike a target. It's as reliable as you are. :troll:

Part of the reason I hate Call of Duty is that when shooting from the hip they resort to the same bullet deviation cone found in games like Halo. Tripwire has an actual ballistics sim, they might as well use it.

Hip shooting or better know as point shooting tactics are not as inaccurate as some people think. It's true it's up to the shooter. When I fast shoot I don't use the sights. It's more muscle memory. Just like what you said, it depends on the shooter. The "Ready position" is where you hold the weapon with both hands center mass pointing where you are looking. It's accurate enough with practice, but my point shooting skills are very accurate for me. It's something I've done since I was a kid. As well, I'm very accurate point shooting my kids with the Nerf darts when run through the hallway. LOL :eek:;) Hip shooting or one handed at 25 yards should be able to hit a human target.

Upvote 0
I would find it difficult to hit a target with my 870 12 gauge from the hip at 25 yards, let alone a rifle or pistol. And yes, I have tried (Mostly being an idiot at the range seeing how fast I could work the action). The closest range I would EVER try and hipshoot anything (which for me is really 0) would be 5 yards. It's really not as simple as it seems, at least in my experience. Seeing as it really doesn't take that long to shoulder a rifle, I think your much better off taking the extra half a second to do so rather than risk missing and having to rebolt. I think ROOST had hip-shooting inaccuracy set up pretty damn good.

And as a side note, 25 yards is probably a lot farther than most would think. Go get a yard stick and line it up 25 times, what you see might surprise you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Poor choice of words on my part.
I guess I should have said, "Keep the free aim" in hip shooting.

I've always considered that the free aim of weapons was to encourage their use as they normally would have been used. With a few exceptions, I think it has worked fairly well thus far. It takes practice to become good at 'hip shooting'. In game and out...

Upvote 0
Yeah sorry did I say 25 yards? I meant 15 yards, never tried it at 25, lol, BoeLynx you should be able to hit it a few times out of 5 shots. I'm just talking about putting a shot somewhere on the target. Not a vital. At 50 yards it was easy hitting human size steel plates with shotgun slugs and that was fast shooting with sights. At 25 yards you should be able to hit it a few times np.

I would find it difficult to hit a target with my 870 12 gauge from the hip at 25 yards, let alone a rifle or pistol. And yes, I have tried (Mostly being an idiot at the range seeing how fast I could work the action). The closest range I would EVER try and hipshoot anything (which for me is really 0) would be 5 yards. It's really not as simple as it seems, at least in my experience. Seeing as it really doesn't take that long to shoulder a rifle, I think your much better off taking the extra half a second to do so rather than risk missing and having to rebolt. I think ROOST had hip-shooting inaccuracy set up pretty damn good.

And as a side note, 25 yards is probably a lot farther than most would think. Go get a yard stick and line it up 25 times, what you see might surprise you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah sorry did I say 25 yards? I meant 15 yards, never tried it at 25, lol, BoeLynx you should be able to hit it a few times out of 5 shots. I'm just talking about putting a shot somewhere on the target. Not a vital. At 50 yards it was easy hitting human size steel plates with shotgun slugs and that was fast shooting with sights. At 25 yards you should be able to hit it a few times np.

I'm sure if you sat there, standing still, taking a minute or two too line up a hip shot you could pull it off maybe once a magazine. But most of the hipshooting I see in ROOST is people running through buildings spraying semi's or auto's (I figure the average room in ROOST is around 5 yards, give or take). Like I said, unless your at point blank range, your probably not going to hit anything. And if you do, it probably took you more time to line up a shot then it would have for you to ADS.

Upvote 0
Yeah I think ADS motion is always best. It would be great if you could fire throught the motion of ADS while your second hand comes up for support. That's how it should be done in those oh **** moments.

The bad thing is in real life most shooters only hit the intended target about 15% of the time in high stress situations. Then there are all kinds of stories, one documented case where a guy ran over a hundred yards before colapsing from a shotgun slug to the chest. -On Combat is a good read if you have the time. Its the real reality of war and high stress situations.

I'm sure if you sat there, standing still, taking a minute or two too line up a hip shot you could pull it off maybe once a magazine. But most of the hipshooting I see in ROOST is people running through buildings spraying semi's or auto's (I figure the average room in ROOST is around 5 yards, give or take). Like I said, unless your at point blank range, your probably not going to hit anything. And if you do, it probably took you more time to line up a shot then it would have for you to ADS.

Upvote 0
Yeah I think ADS motion is always best. It would be great if you could fire throught the motion of ADS while your second hand comes up for support. That's how it should be done in those oh **** moments.

The bad thing is in real life most shooters only hit the intended target about 15% of the time in high stress situations. Then there are all kinds of stories, one documented case where a guy ran over a hundred yards before colapsing from a shotgun slug to the chest. -On Combat is a good read if you have the time. Its the real reality of war and high stress situations.

It's amazing how much punishment the human body can take and still keep going. I've heard plenty of crazy stories from friends and family that were in the Marines or Army Infantry. One of my uncles actually took a bullet too the torso and didn't even realize it until after the firefight ended.

Upvote 0
Must remember too that Germany tended to use Barium quite a bit in their tracers across all platforms, so they had a bright green color rather than the red/orange you'd expect from all tracers nowadays. It might look "Star Wars" to people, but it's still absolutely correct. This doesn't ever seem to make it to hollywood, either, probably because of all the "???" people would have seeing it in the movies.

Upvote 0